New Tank Setup

Hello everyone I am new to this Forum as well as setting up an aquarium.

I have a 29 gallon tank setup. I am doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia that I started on March 13. Checking everyday I have doing ammonia tests that read anywhere between 4 and 5 ppm. Water temp has been in the mid 80’s and have 0 ppm nitrite readings.

My question is how can I tell if any bacteria is forming? I have no problems waiting for my tank to be cycled. I want to do this right.

I have an Aquaclear 70 (found on the net new for $19.99) with foam and bio-max media installed (no carbon in the filter).

Thanks

Edit - My only mistake I have made so far is that I added to much tap water conditioner.

Bill

Is this a freshwater tank?

Yes

You probably know about as much as i do about FW systems! ;D So im going to defer to one of the FW guys.

If i were to guess i would say buying some “bacterial in a bottle” wouldnt be a bad start. Here is an example to give you an idea but i know there are others. Im pretty sure there is a product named genesis that is highly recommended but i couldnt find it in a search.

http://www.marinedepot.com/NUTRAFIN_Cycle_16_oz._Treats_920_Gallon_Bacteria_Water_Treatments_Conditioners-Hagen-HG17600-FIADWTBS-HG17612-vi.html

Again, FW guys should be more help.

genesis is just a conditioner/dechlorinator really. and its gone from the market now. i have no idea why, we have been using the stuff religeously for 15-20 years!!! the bacteria will come, any body of water will accumulate bacteria whether u like it or not! lol patience is key my friend. good to hear someone doing fishless cycles… we r a dying breed! good luck with the start up.