New to the Delaware Reed Scene.. Question...

Hi Everyone,

So I recently moved from TX to DE and of course that meant breaking down my 125Reef and move it across the country. Let me tell you that was not fun! Anyways I get the chance to rebuild the tank and take care of some of the issues that I had started with on the previous build. So my first question is regarding the water quality here in DE… I am buying a new RO/DI unit and I was wondering if I need the one that deals with Chloramines in the water?
I never had this issue before but since I am new to the area I kinda want to get a feel for what most of you guys are using as a RO/DI unit?

Thanks!!

Alfredo

Hey Alfredo - welocme to Delaware and the DRC.

I use an Air Water Ice Typhoon RODI unit. I can’t speak specifically to cholorimines in the water, but wouldn’t any ro/di remove them if they were present?

:Welcome) to DRC

bet that was a fun move :BB)

are you referring to the pre-filters before the ro membrane? if so then i use a carbon filter (1 micron i beleive) before membrane to keep chlorine in the tap water from degrading the membrane. the carbon block has a regular 5 micron filter in line before it…

where are you in DE? we have a couple diff water companies… water quality is roughly the same, but some down-state guys have problems with low tap pressure… and use booster pumps…

welcome!

I never heard of any cloramine issues when I lived in newark. as others have stated, I ran my rodi with a sediment, and two carbon filters before the membrane.

Thanks Guys! And let me tell you breaking down a tank is HORRIBLE!!! Dont wish it on anyone!!
I am actually in Elkton, MD but since DE is so close I am jumping on the DE Reef Club :wink:

Well considering we’re the greatest club in the eastern seaboard I’d say you made a great decision ;D

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:6, topic:6087”]
Well considering we’re the greatest club in the eastern seaboard I’d say you made a great decision ;D[/quote]

Be careful you don’t hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back Craig. ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::

[quote=“Pat B, post:7, topic:6087”]

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:6, topic:6087”]
Well considering we’re the greatest club in the eastern seaboard I’d say you made a great decision ;D[/quote]

Be careful you don’t hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back Craig. ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::[/quote]

Has nothing to do with me Pat - it’s you, the members, that contribute, participate in meetings, volunteer your time, efforts, knowledge, and experience that make the club what it is.

YahoO

If you really want to know about your water. Talk with Russ at Buckeye Field supply. Very knowledgeable about what you need and not pushy at all.

Welcome to the club Alfredo

:Welcome)

If you have questions about elkton’s water. You can probably ask Rob one of our club member he lives in that area.

One of the bad side effects of Chloramine to an RODI system is that it will reduce the life of the RO membrane by more then half, I have not heard of anyone having that issue in our area. So I would think you are safe to use what you have or if your in hte market for a new one, Air Water Ice is one of our sponsors and they do offer a few nice units with a good price.

Alperez, welcome to DRC. As A mentioned, I’m also in Elkton. Are you on municipal water or well water? I’m on well water, and since you’re asking about chloramines I’m guessing your municipal? I didn’t have a tank setup when I lived in town (Chapel Run, behind Williams Chevrolet) which was municipal. The only issue with the well water is its high in nitrates. I have 40ppm comming outta my tap. It’s also high in iron. I have a while home sediment filter which feeds my Bulk Reef Supply RO/DI unit. I get about 13ppm dissolved solids going into my DI resin. (0ppm out) So if you’re well water you’re good to go with a RO/DI system. I’m not sure about chloramines in the municipal water supply. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the 120 back in action.

Hey Faralon, thanks for the reply… I am actually in municipal water and I am looking into it… but on the bright side Petco is having the $1 a gallon sale so I picked up another 40B to start a QT tank :slight_smile: in case anyone wants to pick up one

[quote=“saltcreep, post:3, topic:6087”]
where are you in DE? we have a couple diff water companies… water quality is roughly the same, but some down-state guys have problems with low tap pressure… and use booster pumps…[/quote]

30PSI coming out of the well here in Townsend, DE a booster is the only real option for me. Nitrates, Phos and LOTS of iron are common for the area. There’s a great deal of Farm run-off for lower DE and upper MD area.

Welcome to the forums!

-Josh and Jessica