Next Group buy interest?

Would be interested in some ORA acros.

Ok guys and gals…I spoke with Charlie at DPA today. He’s trying to figure out pricing with the distributer, but we need some sorta idea on quantities. The focus right now is on clams and frags.
I took a peek at an ORA availability list and they have at least 20 acros to choose from, and 20+ of other sps. The prices all vary from frag-to-frag, and the amount ordered…

So it would be a huge help if i can get “specific” ORA names of coral, and then i’ll put a list of maybe our top 6 choices and try to get a good discount on those… ORA has several pics, and descriptions on their site, but not everything listed on their availability sheet is on the site. I did google ORA frags/coral, and found several sites that list them… Thatpetplace, and liveaquaria are just a couple…
As far as prices, and availability, that changes weekly with ORA… but take a look at the going prices at the “big name” mail order guys, and figure they’ll be discounted nicely… somewhere between 20% to 50% depending on them and us.
Now the clams… 1st off, the clams are ordered site unseen…in a couple categories
Purple maximas
gold maximas
ultra gold ‘’
and ultra maximas… all in the 1.5’’ to 2’’ size range…and this week in the $30 -$60 range (but this is without knowing our buying power quantities)
Also 2.5’’ derasa’s are this weeks sale at $25 ea.
some maximas or derasa’s around $20ea is still a possibility , just give me an idea…
So…for the clam “distribution” part, i’d say we’ll do it at the meeting, and draw name from a hat for who has firts pic…2nd…3rd…so on. (similar to the mini-maxi group buy, but you’ll pick in person!)

Myself… I’m def in for 1 derasa or maxima in the $20-$30 range, and possibly an acro depending on the price, and my “allowance”…but on my wish list is…“purple nana” …“miami orchid stag”…“plum crazy”…“turquoise staghorn”, “lantana montipora” and “oregon tort” (the tort hasn’t been available for a while).and of course the “red planet” ( currently moocho pricey and has quantity restrictions)…

Throw me some ideas, and i’ll work out a list of our wants, or at least frags that are close to color, species
More info to come, but your input now will help get what you want at a good price!

here’s a couple links to peruse …

http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?p=Q&lbc=liveaquaria&uid=459841167&ts=results&w=ora&method=and&af=cat1%3Acorals&isort=score&cnt=36

i would put in $120 toward 4 assorted @$20 and one ultra maxima.
can you please, please find out a price on an ORA tank-bred blue mandarin

Thanks Paul ::thumbsup:: and i’ll check on that mandarin for you!

I see you got this in motion Saltcreep A+

I would be interested in maybe a
sand sifting star
cuc including nasarius snails

[quote=“moliken, post:23, topic:4483”]
i would put in $120 toward 4 assorted @$20 and one ultra maxima.
can you please, please find out a price on an ORA tank-bred blue mandarin[/quote] I would second this.

ill take some nasarius snails and astrias as well, ten of each should do it.

does ORA still do germen blue acro?

I would go for 2 clams if they are $20.00 each.

Here is my wish list…
ORA Bellina
ORA Joe the Coral
ORA Miami Orchid
ORA Red Planet
ORA Pearlberry

Here’s my list

1 maxima in the $20-$30 range
ORA Rose Millepora
ORA Pearlberry Acropora

Love to have a Red Planet, but I think it will be over my head with the price. If it’s low John let me know.

[quote=“houndsbayman, post:28, topic:4483”]
Here is my wish list…
ORA Bellina
ORA Joe the Coral
ORA Miami Orchid
ORA Red Planet
ORA Pearlberry[/quote]

John, I thought you have a frag of the Red Planet at one time. Don’t have it anymore?

A, it didn’t makeit. I have read they can be a little difficult to grow. Willing to take another chance on it

i would do a red planet also

for the clams I would want 1 of each
Purple maximas
gold maximas
ultra gold
ultra
teardrop if possible
derasa

I could go for a couple frags.

ORA Turquoise stag
ORA Indo Purple tip stag

1 maxima and 1 derasa, and I’ll have to check out the corals but my “allowance” is probably around $100 I’d also be interested in a mandarin too depending on price

Ora blue voodoo
ora rose millepora
ora pearlberry
ora red planet
Ora bird of paradise

Like before, a Gold Midas blenny if we are doing fishy’s.
I’d like 1 ultra-maxima clam, but perfer if it were blue or green (preferably blue).

Tank is pretty stable right now, showing signs of good growth. Soooo, I don’t want to add any frags at the moment. Theenx!

we’re way past $300, prolly closer to 400. i rough counted close to 10 clams. mr. creep, can you get dpa/ora to say at what $$ amount things start getting to the sweet spot for them and us. maybe that’ll generate more interest also. i know somebody looking for 3 inexpensive lps pieces/maybe a final fish for a 55, but she needs an idea what can be saved % wise

[quote=“moliken, post:38, topic:4483”]
we’re way past $300, prolly closer to 400. i rough counted close to 10 clams. mr. creep, can you get dpa/ora to say at what $$ amount things start getting to the sweet spot for them and us. maybe that’ll generate more interest also. i know somebody looking for 3 inexpensive lps pieces/maybe a final fish for a 55, but she needs an idea what can be saved % wise[/quote]
Paul, right now i’m only trying to find out what everyone’s interested in as far as Ora clams and frags are concerned… The group buy is not going to happen until the Sept. 19th meeting. More then likely what will happen is…I, or DPA will post an availability list 1st thing monday morning (one week before the meeting) probably leave the order open until weds or thurs, to get a thurs or friday shipment (they dont do weekends) So you’ll have 3 days to pick from the “list” and paypal, or stop in DPA to make payment. Delivery will be at the meeting, and a clam “raffle” of sorts to fairly distribute them. We can probably special order anything ORA you want then, right now, i’m just gauging interest on what to try and “bulk” order for the best discount.
Charlie, has given me the best idea on prices that he could right now. There’s not going to be anything set in stone until it gets closer. I do know that he’ll take good care of us though!
I’ll post an “official” group buy thread when i have ALL the info…

But thanks Paul, and everyone else for the input, it’ll def help out with what direction to go with this

any updates? am i a pest? like aiptasia?