Onyx Clownfish Breeding Project

I traded one of my breeding pairs of Picassos for some beautiful C-Quest Onyx last week. I was fortunate enough to get a spawn almost immediately. I’m pretty confident they will be hatching tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Gw7kT73Xg

They look very nice and healthy, pretty cool they already started breeding. How much do those clowns go for?

Hope you have much success with the Onyx as you did with those others, Jason. Good luck.

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:2, topic:4769”]
They look very nice and healthy, pretty cool they already started breeding. How much do those clowns go for?[/quote]

I think the price of onyx are much more reasonable now. I did a search online and are finding them starting around $50. I spent $550 for my first “onyx” pair 5 years ago and the fish were nowhere near this quality. So yeah, these should be pretty reasonable.

Cant wait to see the babies, I could always use a 3rd pair of clowns some day.

Where do you typically order your clownfish from. I have seen you’re past posts and you always seem to get the pick of the litters. I would love to breed clownfish but that is a lot of work I do not think I am ready for.

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:6, topic:4769”]
Where do you typically order your clownfish from. I have seen you’re past posts and you always seem to get the pick of the litters. I would love to breed clownfish but that is a lot of work I do not think I am ready for.[/quote]

You should see his reef tank, some of the nicest looking fish and corals I have ever seen, simply amazing.

Onyx babies are just over 2 months now. I’m seeing the first black pigments appearing on their pelvic fins and also a darker pigment starting at their headbands and working back. The tiniest hints of body stripes are also starting to be noticeable on a few of the juveniles.

I’ve decided to collect a 2nd batch of Onyx offspring. I aggressively fed the broodstock this week in anticipation of the collection and Spawn #9 took place on 01/21/2011.

Spawn #9 should hatch this Sunday.

There is no better way to start off the work week than with some baby Onyx cuteness! 87 DPH. Body stripes clearly visible and the rich, dark coloration is starting to take over!

Man they look great!!! I can’t wait to see the rest of their color fill in.

Onyx Spawn #10
February 2, 2012

I’m really concerned with how these eggs look. The clowns are taking longer between spawns and these eggs look clear and inconsistent. It appears that despite my best efforts to maintain the nutrition of my broodstock, I’m not doing a sufficient job.

Does anyone have suggestions on foods to trigger the appetite of finicky clowns?

If you take a clove or two of “fresh” garlic…" fresh" is the key, not that pre-minced stuff, just give it a rough crush, throw it in a cup of tank water with a couple cubes of food, mysis, brine… whatever… give it a soak in the fridge… “marinating”, if you will… couple hours, overnight even better. The smell makes the fish go crazy! when i do it on occasion, or adding a new fish thats being fussy, i’ll re-use that same cup with the garlic for a couple days, just add more water and food.

How do you separate the mysis from the crushed garlic? Or do you feed the garlic directly to the tank?

I think this could help a lot, thanks!

its ok if some garlic gets in the tank, but if you just do a rough crush, like one smack of the clove, then it usually stays in 1 or two big chunks that can be easily pulled from the cup. it doesnt need to be crushed much, just bust it open a bit. thats all it takes to get that good garlic smell/ enzyme magic happening. let me know how it goes…

Onyx Spawn #2 hit the 3 month mark this week. I took a few updated pics but the camera isn’t doing justice to how great these beauties are developing.

Onyx Spawn #2 (94 DPH)

I’ve decided that I will be transferring the broodstock into a more natural setting. I’m rebuilding a 24 Gallon Aquapod to be their new broodstock tank. Here are some before pics… I’ve got a lot of work to do!

hey jason i got a 34 gallon tank thats up forsale u intrested in it at all

[quote=“jsodonnelljr, post:17, topic:4769”]
hey jason i got a 34 gallon tank thats up forsale u intrested in it at all[/quote]

PM sent.

Onyx Spawn #2 (97 DPH)

The Onyx Broodstock moved into their new home today and they couldn’t look happier. I’m hoping to be collecting healthy spawns from them again in March.

The 24 Gallon Aquapod cleaned up nicely. I managed to knock the bottom out of a flower pot that had been curing in their sump and after a week of cycling with existing rock I felt confident that the tank was ready for livestock. With the improved current and lighting in the Aquapod (14k 150w metal halide)I should be able to sustain some BTAs so I picked up two green ones with light pink tips for $15 each at my LFS. The BTAs immediately wedged themselves into the aquascaping and I hope to get some nice pics of them in a few days. The clowns took notice but are significantly larger than the BTAs for the time being.

Before

After

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrvPy2dnnI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2VWdY1I2A