Painting my Tank

I am going to paint the back of my tank black this weekend. What type of paint should i use and how do i apply it (regular brush)

<

I used flat black spray paint.

+1

Don’t brush it on, it will look bad. A buddy tried that with poor results.

I used a roller for my 33.

Roller +1

I have sprayed and rolled. If you intend just a black tank roll it.

[quote=“a1amap, post:6, topic:1785”]
I have sprayed and rolled. If you intend just a black tank roll it.[/quote]

Still picking of blue specks from that 75…

i dont think either way will matter much once the back of the tank is covered with coraline and such… rockwork will block most of it, etc

abcd

Is there a better color than black for the back of a tank – dark blue?

Any special type of paint ??

[quote=“Rich_17, post:9, topic:1785”]
abcd

Any special type of paint ??[/quote]

Depends, if you want a higher PAR reading, it’s been proven that not painting at all is the best.

[quote=“ravensfan531, post:10, topic:1785”]

[quote=“Rich_17, post:9, topic:1785”]
abcd

Any special type of paint ??[/quote]

Depends, if you want a higher PAR reading, it’s been proven that not painting at all is the best.[/quote]

Are you sure, where did you read this? IMO I could see black absorbing light but a lighter color or white would reflect more light then a clear pane of glass.

[quote=“IanH, post:7, topic:1785”]

[quote=“a1amap, post:6, topic:1785”]
I have sprayed and rolled. If you intend just a black tank roll it.[/quote]

Still picking of blue specks from that 75…[/quote]
I sprayed the blue and then decided I liked the black. The black was rolled on the back.

What type of paint- like Latex,oil base- primer, flat… Not sure what to use on glass. ??

???

I used a semi gloss. Don’t use flat because it is not able to be cleaned without ruining the paint. Any grade from eggshell to gloss depending on preference

Semi-gloss and roller worked fine for me.

Quote from: ravensfan531 on Today at 04:37:59 PM Quote from: Rich_17 on Today at 04:22:14 PM

Any special type of paint ??

Depends, if you want a higher PAR reading, it’s been proven that not painting at all is the best.

Are you sure, where did you read this? IMO I could see black absorbing light but a lighter color or white would reflect more light then a clear pane of glass.

I think thats what he meant. If you dont paint it at all, the reflection off the glass reflects the light providing a higher par than painting it a dark color.

you could always use vinyl in chrome or colors

Before doing this you should really try talking to Andy about what he did to his tank and how he made those fish on the windows at DPA… Might be selling out one of his trade secrets, but Andy is keeping way too much info to himself(he never posts any more).

If you use spray paint you should consider picking up Krylon Fusion(Sp?). Then if you have any left over it is a reef safe paint, so if you had any ugly white pipes in your tank you could paint them black. It doesn’t last forever and a better option would be to replace the white pipe with black PVC, but that stuff is expensive and hard to come by. I don’t know I think I talk too much sometimes and over think too much.

PBJ!

I tt Andy and got the secret of the vinyl from fast signs.

I will check it out–

;D

vinyl is the way to go. Andy wrapped my 84" X 30" tank in black vinyl for about $30 worth of vinyl and it is tight. i wouldnt do it any other way. i will never paint a tank again!

jon - its might seem hard to find because lowes and home depot carry storebrand spraypaints and no longer carry krylon. however, kmart and walmart always has krylon fusion.

[quote=“logans_daddy, post:19, topic:1785”]
jon - its might seem hard to find because lowes and home depot carry storebrand spraypaints and no longer carry krylon. however, kmart and walmart always has krylon fusion.[/quote]

Oh I know that about Krylon. I was saying that black PVC pipe was expensive and hard to come by not the spray paint. Was actually just looking at my MH tank I plan on connecting to my main frag tank soon, but don’t want to set the tanks side by side, so… I’ll have at least one-two pipes visible going between the tanks. I’ll have to figure out something. I think for time being it is going to be white, but I’ll change it later.