percula clown mating soon?

i think they’re the false kind, but could never get the difference for sure.
they are “doin the wiggle” like a convulsive fit at times. and cleaning an area of the glass. they do not host anything though. the larger one is becoming swollen and i’m positive i can see the beginnings of her ovipositor in the underside of her middle white stripe. don’t expect anything to survive in the tank, but i will try to get some video. it must mean the tank is healthy. YahoO
chris&barb any info you can supply to confirm or assist me in id’ing anything?

im no clownfish breeder, but it sure sounds like something is goin on paul. wtg

That is very cool Paul. Post up some pics if they do lay eggs.

well, if they are ready to spawn, one morning soon you will spot a half dollar size patch of squiggly tube shaped eggs, stuck on a rock or glass or somewhere they are hovering right over. and attending. Ocellaris eggs are yellow orange the the first day, then turn sorta clear with a purple spot at the free end. the spot turns silver about 8 days later when they are near ready to hatch.

Good luck

thanks for the info and even if nothing happens, i am glad to know that’s the story. eggs would be fantastic.
just last night they decided to chase a smaller one out of my anthelia and are now in it themselves. the area they’re cleaning and wiggling at however is a good distance away, on the back glass.

Cool stuff Paul. Try to get some pics! Between c&b and Ken I bet you could get em raised if you tried.

NOTHING. ZERO! they have stopped wiggling, stopped cleaning. no eggs at all, they now even stay in different parts of the tank. Lovers’ spat?? was it something he said?

Hahaha, he probably didn’t rub her feet or something…

My perculas did the dance for over a year but produced no eggs. Then one day I noticed the female was carring snails away from one spot in the tank. Next morning sure enough the eggs were there. The smaller male tends to do most of the nest sitting but they both get very territorial. Now egss are a twice a month ordeal. My daughter (12 years old) wants to try to raise them. So I made her read Wilkersons book as well as my self. We just completed a new bench for the fish stuff and Qt tank in the basement. So I am going to try and squeeze two more small tanks in there for rotifers and a grow out tank.Now to get them to lay on a tile so the eggs can be removed.
Mike

[quote=“Mburke, post:9, topic:1832”]
My perculas did the dance for over a year but produced no eggs. Then one day I noticed the female was carring snails away from one spot in the tank. Next morning sure enough the eggs were there. The smaller male tends to do most of the nest sitting but they both get very territorial. Now egss are a twice a month ordeal. My daughter (12 years old) wants to try to raise them. So I made her read Wilkersons book as well as my self. We just completed a new bench for the fish stuff and Qt tank in the basement. So I am going to try and squeeze two more small tanks in there for rotifers and a grow out tank.Now to get them to lay on a tile so the eggs can be removed.
Mike[/quote]
Mike, GOOD LUCK.
Ian, it’s not the feet that works!!

Mike if you need rotifers to get you started there are probably 3-4 people in the club that have some. I tried to start a batch last winter, but got too busy to take care of them.

Also if the tile trick doesn’t work out don’t give up. There are two hobbyist in this forum that have raised hundreds of clown fish with out removing the eggs from the display tanks! They can probably give you more detailed info, but once you learn the rhythm and know the night the eggs will hatch you kill all the flow in the tank a couple hours after lights out and turn all the lights out in the room. If you put a small flash light or LED at the top of the tank the fry will swim up to the top and all you have to do is scoop them out!

Everyone has breeding fish but me! :frowning:

so if mine did mate and i missed it, how long between matings is it usually?

Well the good news is last night I get home and find my male clown in a different spot than normal. I looked and the eggs are on a smaller rock which is easily removed. Yea. I got a ten gallon and a five gallon bucket set up last night. Also added a sponge filter to my refugium to get some bacteria in it for future use. I plan to get some rotifers tonight from ECA they have someone who does them and they are right up the street from my shop. I will probably let the next two batches go so I can get my rotifers up and running good.
My eggs usually hatch on the 9th night after being laid. A new batch of eggs usually happens within 7-14 days after the first set of eggs hatch. I have read of almost continous egg laying after the hatch even read someone on RC that had eggs laid on top of eggs. I prefer the little bit in between I feel it gives the female a chance to regain some weight as the become ravenous when eggs are ready to be laid. The easiest way I find my eggs is look where the pair is cleaning or the male is hanging out.
Mike

good luck, sounds like a good plan, and thanks for the info. mike

That is about the schedule my percs are on too for egg laying. I have found i only needed to feed live rotifers for the first 10-14 days. about day 8 or 9 after hatching i start weaning them on freeze dried rotifers, and then finely crushed flake food. and very fine golden pearls.

I found that putting a lot of roti’s in the larval rearing tank the night they hatch and adding green water or frozen algae concentrate mix to the tank will keep the roti’s well fed and multiplying in the rearing tank. good for the larvae. well fed live food. the larvae dont eat that many at first, but by the 7th day they eat a lot and are weaning on freeze dried roti’s also. and start their metmorphosis for the next few weeks.

I never moved the egg rock. just waited for them to hatch, turn off the pumps after lights out, and collect them under a small LED light hung over the far end of the tank from the eggs. they move to the light. fill your larval tank, 2-5 gallon? with water from the breeding tank then. and transfer the caught larvae. you can get nearly every one. they all hatch withing an hour. just an air stone, on low bubble is all you need for the larval tank. they like a little light too, not strong.

Its best to leave the eggs with the parents as they tend, clean and airate the eggs up to hatching.

you will soon have more clown fish than you know what to do with.