Pico tank

So for a long time i tossed around the idea of making a mini tank for transport of fish/something interesting to look at while i sit in my cube all day. I know i could have gone with like a one gallon tank and just put a mini LED hood on it and called it a day, but i much prefer to come up with something of my own. Once finally had everything i needed in hand, it took about a day to put the whole thing together. It’s got an air inlet and outlet, four white LEDs, four UV LEDs and 3 royal blue LEDs. I went with less blue because the viewing angle of the blue is a lot larger than the others so I didn’t want it to be overpowering. If you look at the images, some look more blue than others. For some reason, my phone camera picks up heavily on the blue spectrum so what it looks like without the blue LEDs on in the photos is what it looks like with them on in real life. weird. So here it is…

IMAG0459 by alexzobi, on Flickr

IMAG0460 by alexzobi, on Flickr

IMAG0503 by alexzobi, on Flickr

IMAG0501 by alexzobi, on Flickr

IMAG0500 by alexzobi, on Flickr

IMAG0499 by alexzobi, on Flickr

IMAG0507 by alexzobi, on Flickr

IMAG0508 by alexzobi, on Flickr

IMAG0509 by alexzobi, on Flickr

Nice! Needs a tang!

Thats pretty cool ::thumbsup::

what are you gonna put in it?

That would be a cool mini seahorse tank!

It looks very small. what are the dimensions and was it a meda reactor or something?

you could put a shrimp in there, and a little yellow clown goby. maybe some mushrooms too.

Yeah the thing is pretty tiny. Basically, it’s just something to look at while i’m sitting at my desk. Takes my mind off the monotony sometimes. It’s made from just a plain glass cylinder I found in a store called hobby lobby. So I cleaned it good to make sure there wasn’t anything that would cause trouble on the surface, then did my thing. I was thinking a little mushroom or a zoa frag possibly, but i’m not sure the lighting is intense enough. I’ll put a hermit crab in there and a snail to help keep it clean. Also, I forgot to mention above, but there’s a mini plenum inside, which leaves about an 1/8 inch gap for sand all the way around and therefore remains hidden. But i’m hoping that adds to the filtration a little bit. Once i find a piece of live rock small enough i’ll stick that in there as well. I thought i had one in my main tank but I guess not. The dimensions are only 8"h (at water level) x 4"d. So the actual water column is only about 7 inches. Like I said, PICO. Haha. And I have NO idea what seahorses require. I’m assuming this would be too small for one, no?

Very nice desk top. is there some kid of cirulation or aeration too to keep it happy?

There is. I made a hole whig I passed air tubing through that I eventually put an air stone on. Yayy bubbles!