Power is Out

Luckily enough for me, the power company gave me two weeks notice that they were going to be doing work on the lines that feed my neighborhood! I picked up a generator when we first moved into the house just in case the power ever went out. The plan was to use it with the generator panel we already have. Turns out this generator has the wrong plug. Didn’t realize it was a 220V generator panel. Whoops!

Anyway…it is now a dedicated backup for the tank. I’m sitting here in the dark using cell-phone internet, but at least my tank is running :slight_smile: It is a nice piece of mind for the $300 it cost me.

IMG_2513_rotated.jpg

I bought a generator years back and used it once and didn’t really need it power was on within a hour. Now yesterday was another story. Accidently hit the switch for my tanks outlet in the morning and noticed that night no sound was coming from the tank. It was off for 12 hours according to my light timer. All of the sps frags are looking a little rough to possible stn happening :(. Colonies are fine and all my lps is coming back. Might have to sell some jaw breakers to cover the frags I’ll probably lose.

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:2, topic:9140”]
I bought a generator years back and used it once and didn’t really need it power was on within a hour. Now yesterday was another story. Accidently hit the switch for my tanks outlet in the morning and noticed that night no sound was coming from the tank. It was off for 12 hours according to my light timer. All of the sps frags are looking a little rough to possible stn happening :(. Colonies are fine and all my lps is coming back. Might have to sell some jaw breakers to cover the frags I’ll probably lose.[/quote]
Oh no! That sucks! I have a battery backup airstone just in case I’m not home and the power goes out. Did you lose any fish?

No fish losses. Only have 4 in that tank. Sadly I’m more worried about the frags.
How does the battery backup air stone work. Does it only kick on when the back up detects no power going to it? I have thought about getting a battery back up strong enough for the main pump. So that everything still gets what it needs even the fuge. But then again that will give a lot less time then air stones in both tank and fuge

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If the fish pulled through, the levels shouldn’t have dropped too far. What was the temp when you got the power back on?

The backup air stone turns on when it senses the power is out. You plug it into an outlet and it runs on D batteries. This is one I have…

Learn something everyday! I didn’t know there were such a pump. Gotta get me a couple of them for my tank. Thanks for the info.

My loss is your gain :slight_smile:

Power came back on around noon. I was able to run the tank and my fridge and the gas gauge barely moved. This is the first time I’ve run it that long, so I’m happy to know it could likely go for a day without a problem on one tank.

[quote=“TheEngineer, post:5, topic:9140”]
If the fish pulled through, the levels shouldn’t have dropped too far. What was the temp when you got the power back on?

The backup air stone turns on when it senses the power is out. You plug it into an outlet and it runs on D batteries. This is one I have…

http://a.co/h9Pd5fN[/quote]I dont know what the temp actually was. I had the a.c. set for 75. I did a 5 gallon water change this morning. So far looks like my garf look alike, pc rainbow, rr canada gold Aussie, another rainbow frag and my 2" disc of jf fox flame. Everything else seems to be doing really good. Pissed off at myself still.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dang it!