Problems with ALK and pH

So my I checked my reef again today and I’ve noticed that it’s been at 7.8 for a long time. I checked everything else before I did a water change and noted that I needed some things. Here were the rest of my parameters

Aquarium Reef parameters are:

Temperature: 78.5
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia, NH4: 0
Nitrate, NO3: 25
Nitrite, NO2: 0
pH: 7.8
Alkalinity, KH: 5.6
Calcium, Ca: 500
Magnesium, Mg: 1,340

for date: July 20, 2015

I used the Red Sea test kit for calc, alk, and mag. I used the salifert for nitrates, ammonia a and nitrites, I used the API high range for pH

So I used the product Seachem Marine Buffer in a water change that changed about 15 gallons ( it’s a 75gal tank) and happened over two hours. Here are my new parameters

Aquarium Reef parameters are:

Temperature: 78
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia, NH4: 0
Nitrate, NO3: 20
Nitrite, NO2: 0
pH: 8.3
Alkalinity, KH: 9.1
Calcium, Ca: 510
Magnesium, Mg: 1,340

for date: July 20, 2015

The tank is really cloudy and I’m a bit worried and don’t know what to do, I’m prepping water for another WC and will hopefully be ready soon. Also any general advice on my parameter would be great. Tank is running okay, but I want it to be great, not just okay. Lost a few corals over the past week months that I wish I hadn’t. Neglected and I’m responsible =(.

When did you do water change? What have you added to cause the cloudyness? How do you maintain alk and ph normally? Do you use 2part? Also it’s a common issue when we’re running the ac, the co2 levels in the house increase and the skimmer is adding the co2 enriched air to the tank water and causes a ph drop. How ever that doesn’t sound like the case here.
I keep my alk in th 7-9 range and it keeps my ph between 8.0-8.3 everyday. I also use a calcium reactor to maintain it all.
What salt are you using? The cloudyness could be from the salt mix, how long do you let water mix prior to adding to the tank?

No, I’ve used this salt for years, and it’s never caused cloudiness before. I am sure it was the Seachem that caused the cloud. It seems to be called a calcium precipitation, where you increase alk and pH using a buffer to quickly an it causes calcium to percipitate in the tank. Did a bit of research while I waited. I don’t usually do two parts. I just do regular water changes and sometimes add a calcium supplement to the tank.

I know this is wrong now, though. My calcium is always high, my pH always at 7.8, and my Alk always low, sometimes in the 5.5 dKH range. I have been looking into a “three part” supplement called Reef Foundation ABC+ which adds all in equal parts,

Or a calcium reactor

I can’t speak to Alk, I’ve never really monitored for it, but with pH you just want consistency.

7.8 is in the right range. You should be more focused on keeping it consistent and less so on getting to 7.0. Like beadlocked said, opening up a window or running the AC will affect the pH. Personally, i wouldn’t worry about it.

if you are using additives, like the sea chem buffer, you might add that separately to the tank. adding a bunch to your new salt water mix makes the 15 gallons very high in Alk and PH and can cause cloudiness from precip. i use a half gallon jug or two liter bottle to mix RO water and the buffer, shake till clear, then pour slowly into the turbulent part of the sump to mix. wait a while between dosing buffer and the calcium. as together they make a cloud.

Try doing the water change first, then test for Alk, Ca. and add the needed amount. the new salt water will be high in buffer to start and will raise the tank some. so then you just need to adjust.

Calcium reactors are a little bit of a misnomer. they are more of an Alk reactor with calcium too. and the CO2 bubbler usually runs over into the tank , lowering the PH. but passing the reactor effluent through a second chamber of carbonate media will make sure all the CO2 and carbonic acid are neutralized . I guess you do that Jason to keep the PH above 8. or have a well adjusted reactor. Low alk and PH levels with a reactor seem to be ok, as there is constant replenishment of carbonate in the water. PH above 8 allows corals to more easily extract the carbonate and calcium from the water.

But if you are dosing, its best to set a little higher because they constantly go down each day. so you have a range.