Rare Fish In stock?

You gotta start carrying some more rare angels…Bluelines, Scribbled, Personifer…Some rare tangs…Black longnose…Fowlers, …

Some harder to get stuff…

[quote=“rbu1, post:1, topic:3249”]
You gotta start carrying some more rare angels…Bluelines, Scribbled, Personifer…Some rare tangs…Black longnose…Fowlers, …

Some harder to get stuff…[/quote]

I don’t think stores should stock hard to get and very pricey livestock, its not cost effective to risk fish loss sitting for 3 months in a tank hoping the one guy who wanted it 4 months ago might show back up soon. I’d make special requests for special items.

side note, when the heck did Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR) become a fish species?!, I’ve seen this on more than one forum.

[quote=“TimH07, post:2, topic:3249”]

[quote=“rbu1, post:1, topic:3249”]

Some harder to get stuff…[/quote]

I don’t think stores should stock hard to get and very pricey livestock, its not cost effective to risk fish loss sitting for 3 months in a tank hoping the one guy who wanted it 4 months ago might show back up soon. I’d make special requests for special items.[/quote]

Thats the attitude that keeps me having to drive an hour and a half up the Jersey Turnpike…to the store that carries that stuff…Special order is not good because most time stores make you pay for the item first and if it dies your SOL…The stores in Central Jersy carry those fish so you can walk in and watch them eat before you buy…

Look it up its called a fowleri or Fowlers tang…

Ran off topic, sorry about the HJack

ECA is a great store and I love their frag swap section/$10 frag section (I love watching little frags grow out!)

[quote=“rbu1, post:4, topic:3249”]
Look it up its called a fowleri or Fowlers tang…[/quote]

posted mid split of thread, i stand corrected, never saw one before.

Thanks for moving this. Can we put it under the ECA forum? I would love for Matt to start carrying more high end stuff. Not sure if the market in this area will support it. He would know better than I would.

Moved as requested

there are extra liability’s, that come with stocking those pricey rare species. I try to stock beauty and wonder, and I keep an interesting display, for those who only want to look and not buy. If I stock to many fish that stay to long in the store, it becomes difficult to maintain cash flow, it is hard to go into to much detail in forum format. But that being said if my selection is missing something, I appreciate the feedback.

Of course there are liabilitys with everything. There are really no local stores around here that carry the harder to get rare species. I think if you were willing to risk the investment it might work. But like I said you know the market in this area better than I do. Nothing like waliking in a store and seeing crosshatch triggers, achilles tangs, Blueline angels, you get the idea…

I love those fish also. but there is just not enough market, and picking the fish to stock is possibly one of the hardest parts of my job. We do have some really sweet fish in stock. It’s been a while since you have been around. you should stop by, take a look.

Can you try getting some stuff and see how it goes? Check out Sea Dwelling Creatures as a supplier. Also Quality Marine. I was told Quality Marine is were the Divers Den gets there stock from.

I talk to them, and order every week, give me a call on Sunday, if you are looking for something for your tank, if you prebook it. You pay considerably less.

[quote=“bigdlink, post:13, topic:3249”]
I talk to them, and order every week, give me a call on Sunday, if you are looking for something for your tank, if you prebook it. You pay considerably less.[/quote]

Yeah thats the problem…I don’t like the “prebook” idea because if the fish comes in DOA or does not eat in your system I am SOL. I would much rather be able to go to a store that has those type of fish so I can watch them eat and make my decision. It seems Central Jersey has those type of fish. Maybe there is a better market for them up there? Who Knows…If I have the extra funds laying around and you were game I would consider renting a section of your system for these type of fish on my dime…

Still have the Angel I got from you almost a year ago…Its a Blue/Queen Hybrid I found out after I got it home…