Red Sea Star

Just uploaded a new picture of a red sea star we help take care. Click here to take a look!

That is pretty neat, but if I got one would I ever see it? Probably not, anything cool looking just hides when I put it in one of my tanks.

If your fish are very aggressive you may never see it. If your lighting only allows you to enjoy your tank for 1/2 of the day you may never get to see it. HOWEVER… with some dimly lit LEDs simulating moonlight and a higher concentration of planktonic food at nighttime(also natural). We see all three of our red and orange sea stars just about every night during coral feeding.

Many of the most interesting animals on the reefs are strictly nocturnal. Many corals take on a whole new form at night time. If you are unable to see into your tank when the day lights are out or at very least have a flashlight handy then… you are really missing out.

Thats a cool star !

and i agree Jon, I love seeing my bigger star ( its a thorny serpent 10-12’’) i may see it once a month in the middle of the night if i’m lucky!

I just may have to take a closer look at the tank when I get up in the middle of the night. Who knows what I will find. A zillion little starfish or a disco party?

Keep in mind it doesn’t necessarily have to be in the middle of the night. Some people don’t get to see their tank before they go to work because the lights aren’t on yet. Others don’t get to see their aquarium at night because the lights are already out. Other with the use of different light sources or ramping lights, or wise lighting schedules get to enjoy their tanks any time they are home.

I think you need a nice Harlequin star fish to go with it for contrast.

[quote=“kaptken, post:7, topic:5335”]
I think you need a nice Harlequin star fish to go with it for contrast.[/quote]

Best to call them SeaStar vs. Star fish, but I have to agree a nice Harlequin would certainly add some nice contrast. Difficulty is in finding them from a reputable vendor. It took years to find this red one.

Has anyone seen a Harlequin sea star for sale recently?

Reeftopia has had them last few months, but checking now, they are out of stock.

stay tuned, or give him a call. perhaps he can look for one while diving.

this place has one. ive always wanted to order some oftheir stuff.
http://www.aquacon.com/starfish.html