Refugium Set-Up

Hello my name is Ross and i just started my 55 gallon saltwater tank. I have a pro-flex 100 refugium. I just started getting it going and have been having some problems. Does anyone have any pictures on how to get this refugium up and running correctly? Thanks for the help.

:Welcome) Ross!

What sort of problems? Could you be more specific?

I think I may need a shorter flex hose. It seems to wrap in the back and im not sure if that is a problem is it? I am also not sure on how high the water level should be, in the refugium and in the tank. I am sure its not a big problem I am just unsure on what to do.

fish-welcome To DRC

Pics…we love pictures

[quote=“rsylvester, post:3, topic:1122”]
I think I may need a shorter flex hose. It seems to wrap in the back and im not sure if that is a problem is it? I am also not sure on how high the water level should be, in the refugium and in the tank. I am sure its not a big problem I am just unsure on what to do.[/quote]

Still not sure what the problem is, but neither the drain line nor the return line should be wrapped.

As far as the water level, turn off all pumps skimmers etc. Fill the sump until a few inches below the top (careful not to overflow). Turn skimmer and return pump back on, when the water level stops dropping mark the side of the fuge, that’s your top-off line. This way if you have a power failure you can be sure the water won’t overflow the sump and ruin the carpet.

This fuge, right?

I think I may need a shorter flex hose. It seems to wrap in the back and im not sure if that is a problem is it?[/quote]

What do you mean by wrap? Does it hang lower than the input to the fuge? If so, is it by a lot? If you pour water through your overflow, does it make it into the fuge or not? If it does, you should be OK.

I am also not sure on how high the water level should be, in the refugium and in the tank. I am sure its not a big problem I am just unsure on what to do.[/quote]

Like Craig said:

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:5, topic:1122”]
As far as the water level, turn off all pumps skimmers etc. Fill the sump until a few inches below the top (careful not to overflow). Turn skimmer and return pump back on, when the water level stops dropping mark the side of the fuge, that’s your top-off line. This way if you have a power failure you can be sure the water won’t overflow the sump and ruin the carpet.[/quote]

If you fill it from the overflow, you’ll fill each compartment with the right amount of water. The last compartment to fill would be the one all the way to the right in the pic above, if I have the right fuge. Fill the fuge until that compartment the water level is just below the bottom of where the stickers are. That is where your return pump goes, as well.

That is the refugium, that I have. I used all the advice and I think everything is running great. I really appreciate all the help.

Good to hear