RO/DI unit not used for a while ??

My RO/DI unit has sat for a year there was water left in the unit. Should I replace the filters and start new or will it be ok to flush the RO/DI unit for a couple hours to clean out the unit? I figure I could run it till my tds was 0.
The current filters have very little water run through them but I wanted to check before I used the water I made.

Don’t know, the unit I am using was Ted’s extra/spare one, so I’d be interested to know what TDS yours comes out to when you first run it. I don’t have a TDS meter, but it tastes cleaner! (j/k)

I bought mine used and it sat for about 3 months or more. I just ran it for about a half hour flushing everything out and the TDS read 0 after about 1 minute of use. I just wanted to be sure. If the TDS says 0, you should be good to go, I’d still flush it out a little. I am still on those same filters, but I think its time to change them. I want to recharge the DI, I’ve read about it a little, you never have to buy DI resin again!

I think flushing it for a couple hours would be a minimum. Check the TDS and see where it starts and where it stops dropping. if the number is still acceptable go ahead and use what you have, if the TDS reading is still too high after flushing for a couple hours I’d replace the filters and/or membrane.

if it was stored in a slightly lit room it could have some algae build up on the carbon and sediment filters. and no doubt gone anerobic. dont know if hydrogen sulfide would eat the membrane like chlorine does.

too late, i just placed an order today for a new membrane and some filters and a new filter housing. got one with a crack growing in it. could have tagged along.

The housings are solid and not clear so I doubt there will be any problem with algae.

I personally would replace all the filters and the membrane. Try opening it and give it a smell. You might not want to put your nose right up to it and it make convince you to change them all. I could imagine it smelling worse than an improperly kept deep sand bed. Could be wrong though.

Just my two cents.

I would completely disassemble & rinse all chambers with peroxide…then replace membrane and cartridges…

[quote=“hottuna, post:8, topic:1693”]
I would completely disassemble & rinse all chambers with peroxide…then replace membrane and cartridges…[/quote]

+1 … cleaning never hurts …

You could always clean it, reassemble it with the old filters and see what your TDS is, then determine if replacement is indicated.

thats not a bad idea ,Ronert…you know hydrogen peroxide is pretty safe stuff to disinfect with .I use it on all aquarium related things ,as well as sterilizing my qt everytime I reset it up…
I’m just wondering if it would harm the membrane to soak it in hydrogen peroxide then retest as per Ronerts suggestion above…might save you some money…hth

I would say run it…0 tds is 0 tds!

So did you set it up yet Al, or you being lazy?

I cleaned the unit out. I didn’t use hydrogen peroxide because I didn’t want to damage the DI filter. I am going to run and dump it for 3 hours then test TDS.

Don’t know if H2O2 is any less harmful than bleach to an RO membrane. It is also a bleaching agent.

Answers - The Most Trusted Place for Answering Life's Questions

It has no chlorine which seems to degrade RO membrane material. but still a strong oxidizer. give it a flow test and see if the same reject/product ratio holds up. 4 to 1?

Any results AL?

I cleaned and ran for 3 hours. Then I made a bucket with 0 tds. Good to go

How’s the rejection rate?

Sweet, did test anywhere in the 3 hours or just ran it straight out?

ran it

didn’t check rejection rate

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:16, topic:1693”]
How’s the rejection rate?[/quote]

With Al, it’s probably every night.

PBJ!

[quote=“Gordonious, post:19, topic:1693”]

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:16, topic:1693”]
How’s the rejection rate?[/quote]

With Al, it’s probably every night.

PBJ![/quote]

I don’t care who you are - that there was funny!!!

lOl lOl lOl lOl lOl lOl lOl