Rookie mistake

So i recently moved from Dover to Clayton and decided it was the perfect time to upgrade my tank. Went from a 46bf to a 65rr so i wouldnt have to replace my lights at this time. I will be confirming tomm (hopefully) but my water in dover tested out decent and i used it for topoffs for 4 years with no issues. The new tank i bought water from my local fish store and ran it for the whole cycle period and just recently transferred my livestock over. Well looks like to me that Clayton water may have copper in it cause the past week ive used it for top-off and now ALL of my hard corals, skeleton corals, and snails have died extremely fast. Needless to say i am sad for the loss of some beautiful montis, chalices, and a frogspawn/hammer forest that homed two of my clowns. But im angry at myself for not checking the local water first. Wont happen again :frowning:

Congrats on the move sorry about the tank.

Man that sucks a lot. Are you using a RODI system for your water? It would probably be a good idea to pick up some polypad and see what color it turns so you can figure out what caused the issue.

Once you get your tank up and running, I’m sure we can throw a few frags your way to get you back up and running.

I did a water change with known good water last night. A rodi is on the wish list. For now its strictly rodi from Mike until then.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

If the water came from a RODI system, it wouldn’t be copper then. The carbon block knocks down most of that (assuming it has some life in it), the rest is taken out by the DI resin (assuming it is producing 0 tds).

My top offs came directly from the tap. My old house the tap water tested good, so i assumed i was good. Thats my lesson for assuming

Oh… I see. Crud. Well a polypad will tell you what’s going on in there and give you some reassurance as to what caused the crash.

Yea i want to know what exactly it was. I assume copper because my zoas and mushrooms appear fine

Great timing by Craig… he has a RODI for sale

http://delreefclub.org/smf/index.php?topic=10301.0;topicseen

Bought it from him today! Thanks for looking out

Awesome!