salt testing positive for nitrates and ammonia?????

i have never heard of it but i just tested the new salt i got it was just a lil bag of coralife salt i purchased at pa it tested new batch of salt at 20ppm of nitrates and .25 of ammonia. is this a fluke???

[quote=“tat2tillidie, post:1, topic:1690”]
i have never heard of it but i just tested the new salt i got it was just a lil bag of coralife salt i purchased at pa it tested new batch of salt at 20ppm of nitrates and .25 of ammonia. is this a fluke???[/quote]

Have you tested the source water before adding salt?

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:2, topic:1690”]

[quote=“tat2tillidie, post:1, topic:1690”]
i have never heard of it but i just tested the new salt i got it was just a lil bag of coralife salt i purchased at pa it tested new batch of salt at 20ppm of nitrates and .25 of ammonia. is this a fluke???[/quote]

Have you tested the source water before adding salt?[/quote]

no but im gonna rite now

If you store RO water in a trash can or bucket for any length of time it will grow bacteria and then when the bacteria die you will get some ammonia in the water.

You’ll find the almost all salt mixes have some ammonia and nitriate and nitrite. check this web site and look at the analysis of the most popular kinds .

http:// aquariumwatertesting.com

Great link. has anyone ever used them for testing? i was thinking of trying out there once a month kit. seems like a great deal 25 bux a month isnt bad when u figure how much money most of us have ln live stock.

If the fish are all of a sudden not doing well it is not shocking that you have ammonia. Going to read your other thread now to get the rest of the info.

WHOA!

Hold yer horsies before you go galloping off into the sunset.

Even if you introduce ammonia and nitrates from salt… water… whatever with a water change, a properly functioning filtration/denitrating rock-sandbed/fuge system should rapidly eat it all up and drop it to zero.

that would be a finite dose. what you seem to have is a resident and growing concentration of incomplete biological infarcation products. so the problem should be in the filtration, sand beds, fuge rock system not doing its job. you have to figure out what is falling down on the job and creating the toxic wasteland. silt in the rock pores, in the sand,? flow lacking? pump stalled? skimmer? any or all of these in part or full can contribute to the conflagration toxin build up you are experiencing.

In other words, something is mucking up the works!