Silicone remover

Does anyone know any secrets, chemicals or solutions to remove silicone residues? Or the good o’l razor blade and elbow grease will only do?

Silicon removers are really toxic and I wouldn’t use then on a tank IMO. A 4 in wide glass scraper should make quick work of it. If u want the remover you can get it at the hardware store by the solvents.

I guess to be on the safe side, I’ll just stick with the good o’l razor blade and elbow grease.

You should get the 4" wide one and it will go a lot faster. I use it for cleaning the glass too.

I used rubbing alcohol with great success to get the leftover residue after removing the bulk of the silicone. Nothing toxic to worry about.

I got it done with about 15 brand new razor blade and good o’l elbow grease. I did try with rubbing alcohol, but it uses more elbow grease than I can output. Changing new razor was a lot easier, but it took a little bit more time.

So far so good, everything was clean and degreased. With Jason’s help yesterday evening we got it put back together and silicone. Now its just sitting waiting for it to cure, then leak test.

GolfC I hope it works out, you’ve been tankless for too long!

[quote=“bnelson, post:7, topic:7488”]
GolfC I hope it works out, you’ve been tankless for too long![/quote]

Thanks B. Can’t believe its been a year and a half going tankless. Excited!

You know we are all rooting for ya big guy. Cant wait to start seeing those pics come back to life.

[quote=“BigCase, post:9, topic:7488”]
You know we are all rooting for ya big guy. Cant wait to start seeing those pics come back to life.[/quote]

Thanks Casey. Can’t wait my self. Stay tune for the rebirth of 225 GALLON (slow) TANK BUILD or 5.0 upgrade. LOL!

YAY!!! this is exciting!! cant wait to see it!

Hope your getting pics, and video, sounds like a meeting night presentation to me :think)

[quote=“Hudzon, post:12, topic:7488”]
Hope your getting pics, and video, sounds like a meeting night presentation to me :think)[/quote]

Sorry, I didn’t think of it at the time. was too excited thinking of getting it done. LOL