Skim or not to Skim??

So for the past 2-3 months I have had my skimmer turned off! It all started when some of my Monti caps started to loose some of their color and start to turn very pale. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Most of the other corals appeared to be normal but my caps were unhappy. I don’t remember why but I decided to turn off my skimmer thinking my tank may be too clean. Since turning my skimmer off my tank is doing great. The only exception is some minor bioropsis algae in the middle of my birdsnests that I can’t get too. All my corals have really colored up and are very happy. Any thoughts or anyone else’s experience/opinion on the subject??

I think it depends on the tank. Heavily stocked tanks really need it, but tanks that can hold a natural balance without it and have good gas exchange I think should skip the skimmer. I leave mine off most of the time too, for what it’s worth.

Thanks Adam for the response! Yea I don’t know if I would consider my bioload heavy or not! I have the following fish:

Yellow tang
Purple tang
Blue hippo tang
Coral beauty
Six line wrasse
Bangi cardinal
Royal gramma
Pseudo bicolor
Pair of clowns
2 blue damsels

Tank is 180 gallon with a 20 gallon fuge and a 40 breeder sump.

Did you finally get rid of those mojos? ::hitsthefan::

Unfortunately no! Anyone have a copperband butterfly? Last time he ate most of them.

I’d call that a light load for a tank that size with corals as well established as yours are. They’re going to be gobbling most of the nutrients up for you.

Tank looks AWESOME, by the way :slight_smile:

I think I agree as far as bioload and nutrients. Yea it’s amazing how much the corals take up. Thank you for the compliment!!

Yes matt… my corals look good! Lol :BB)

Haha! Sounds like you are ready to get back in!! LOLLOL

Na, just got my electric bill, it’s 180$ cheaper this month from last year! I think I will stick it out for a while…

I can understand that! It’s definitely not cheap to run such a large system like you had, plus the metal halides!