small quarantine tank/LED hood

So I have one of those 5 gal acrylic tanks sitting around from when I was in college and I decided that since I don’t have a quarantine tank, it was better than nothing. So I’m going to set it up. Since I’ll most likely be quarantining corals, as well as fish in there, I’ve decided to do a DIY LED for the hood. I was wondering how many you guys thought I would need. I’m thinking 12 would be a good amount. 6 RB and 6 white. Maybe even try and mix in a few UV. I haven’t researched it enough yet, but from what I gather, I need a driver for each color, and a max of 12 LED’s per driver? I know there’s a ton of reading everywhere about it so I’m not necessarily asking for tips on that, but I’m not one to turn away tips/knowledge/advice either. Part of the reason I’m doing this is because I’m planning on a DIY LED for my 110 once I get it set up within this year and figured a little practice with a mini fixture couldn’t hurt.

Also, for the rest of the tank, I’m wondering how much water flow would be considered sufficient. I was thinking a Koralia 240 would be plenty, but just wanted to make sure. Also wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be overkill. I dont’ want to be blowing anything away.

For filtration, it comes standard with that HOB filter you can see in the image, but I hate seeing equipment in my tanks, so i drilled it and made a sump for it (maybe a little much considering its only a 5.5 gal tank and at the time, a freshwater, but I’m dangerous when I have too much time on my hands). I plan on building a mini stand that will house a one gal sump underneath with the heater and a light for some chaeto.

Any and all recommendations for set up would be appreciated. I realize that the size alone is going to make it difficult to maintain, but I’m going to give it a shot. bio-load will be minimal since it’ll be strictly quarantine.

http://www.petco.com/product/14978/Petco-Bookshelf-Freshwater-Fish-Aquarium.aspx?CoreCat=certona--ProductListTopRated_Fish_2--Petco%20Bookshelf%20Freshwater%20Fish%20Aquarium-14978

I would really not do a mixed quarantine as that kind if defeats the reason of having them you can’t treat coral / inverts with the same chemicals that are proven to work with fish for common diseases, but a 5 gal would be to small for most fish for a 30 day cycle, I would suggest waiting for a 1 buck a gal sale and pick up a 20 or 40.
I also don’t quarantine coral, I inspect dip and inspect and then in the tank it goes on the frag rack for a week or so then mount it.
I know some will say you are asking for just as much trouble not quarantining coral as fish, but I opt for stabilty over the chance of pest when it comes to coral and I just don’t keep my quarantine stable enough

::thumbsup:: appreciate the advice. That’s probably what I’ll do then. Now I just gotta find room for a 20 gal ::thinking::

You know I’d have to comment when you mention QT and corals. I would actually recommend QTing corals to a beginner over fish. Bottom line it is easier. No food = much less issues. Try QTing a tang in a 5 gallon tank and feeding it algae 3 times a day. :wink:

If you have a very small tank QTing corals may not be as much of an issue. For 100-300gallon reef tanks introducing bubble algae or majano anemones to the tank can be a bone headed move. With a very small tank starting over is not as difficult physically, emotionally, and financially as a large aquarium you’ve put significant time and resources into.

If your smart you get out of it what you put into it. Just my two cents.

1 gallon sump? You must truly have time on your hands as you’ll likely only have a couple of center meters of tolerance between where the sump will overflow during a power outage and suck air because of evaporation. Why not just go with a 5 gallon bucket along side of the stand? I can give you a bucket for free if you don’t already have a spare one.

I wouldn’t say a sump is overkill, but massively helpful in oxygenating the tank.

Map props to your efforts and working towards doing the right thing and really taking care or your animals.

This is true. A five gallon bucket would definitely make more sense. Esp considering it would be double the amount of water in the system. Honestly, I was more worried about corals when I came up with this idea in the first place. I don’t plan on spending a WHOLE lot on fish right now and especially not fish like tangs just because I only have a 50 gal and I know that satisfying their needs usually requires something considerably larger. I have my 110 waiting for when the time is right, but that can’t happen in the apartment I’m in now because it would start in my apt on the second floor and end in the hair salon on the first floor below . ::hitsthefan::

So back to the original question…would a koralia nano 240, 6 white and 6 rb LED, 50W hydor heater (normally for 5-15 gal tanks), and 50 GPH return pump work? Be too much? Be too little?

I use a ten gallon for qt but it’s only up during qt. I agree with Jon corals over fish. Fish can have problems internally. Corals are easier. And the fish in your tank can fight off disease corals cant. I try to keep the qt light as close to the main tank as possible. So it can acclimate during qt. and that seems like a lot of LEDs over a 5 gallon. But it could be used for a frag tank instead. Or if you want a different qt.

I was thinking it might be overkill as well, especially due to the shallowness of the tank, but then I figured I could always turn them down. Ideally, I’d like to get a par reading from my main tank and try and match it that way. The only reason I’m thinking 6 and 6 is because the tank is long (for a 5 gal) and I want to make sure light is evenly dispursed. But again, I’m open to advice. My plan is to take the light fixture that came with it and basically gut it. Fit in a custom heat sink with the LED’s built in.

I’m more concerned about flow, as I’ve heard so many different opinions on it. I know that what I put in the tank for corals will for the most part be the deciding factor in what kind of flow I need, but I’d still like any and all input. Should I be looking to match that as close to my main tank as possible as well?

For flow count all your pumps gph and divide by tank size then match it to the qt. lps is less than Sps. So if you have a 5 gal qt a 200 gph pump will give you a 40 turnover rate.