Snow, heavy rains threatening Chesapeake Bay

Snow, heavy rains threatening Chesapeake Bay

Written by
Associated Press

ANNAPOLIS — Heavy rains and melting snow are taking a toll on the Chesapeake Bay.

Maryland natural resources officials say they are bringing a flood of nutrients and sediments into the bay, threatening water quality. The heavy spring runoff has led to record low water clarity in many areas.

More wet weather could mean more polluted runoff that can spawn oxygen-robbing algal blooms and lead to fewer underwater grasses, which are a key habitat for many species.

The Department of Natural Resources says the flow over the Conowingo Dam on March 12 was the highest since Tropical Storm Ivan in 2004, and more than six times average for the month.

Sounds like amazing shad and rockfish fishing at conawango in a week!

I hope that was a miss statement, about the water going over the dam. That would be very bad. the road goes over the top and the generators are below. the dam could fail. I’m sure they meant water through the sluice gates. after watching the reactors in Japan suffer from lack of power and water it made me think about Conowingo dam. if it failed and callapsed, it would drain the lake behind it, leaving the Peach Bottom Atomic Plant(AKA: Fuzzy Butte), 10 miles up river, high and dry with no water in the intake structures for cooling. Hmmm???

Yeah after the Japan crisis I remembered we have 4 nuke plants within some 50 miles in either direction up here in north DE…

Closest Plants Distance to 19702
Hope Creek 12 mi
Salem 1, 13 mi
Peach Bottom 2, 30 mi
Limerick 1, 48 mi
Three Mile Island 66 mi

Closest Plants Distance to North Wilmington
Hope Creek 21 mi
Salem 1, 21 mi
Limerick 1, 32 mi
Peach Bottom 2, 33 mi
Three Mile Island 63 mi

Lol when I lived in Augustine Beach…

Distance to Hope Creek
2 mi

:smiley:

[quote=“kaptken, post:3, topic:4049”]
I hope that was a miss statement, about the water going over the dam. That would be very bad. the road goes over the top and the generators are below. the dam could fail. I’m sure they meant water through the sluice gates. after watching the reactors in Japan suffer from lack of power and water it made me think about Conowingo dam. if it failed and callapsed, it would drain the lake behind it, leaving the Peach Bottom Atomic Plant(AKA: Fuzzy Butte), 10 miles up river, high and dry with no water in the intake structures for cooling. Hmmm???[/quote]

My father was a RR engineer for awhile and he told me about one time when hurricane Agnes came through. The corps had placed dynamite to blow the section of the dam where the RR tracks are to make room in the event that the structure began to fail.