Splitting Anenome's

Anyone have experience splitting nem’s with success? I really want to split my green BTA so I can trade with a friend that has a rose BTA, but i’m really wary of chopping the sucker in two. I have an extra tank that i can set up as a hospital tank for after the split, just want to pick the brains of those who have already done this before I kill the one thing in the tank my wife picked out lol…

Just let it split naturally. MarineMike has some really nice rose bubble tips and very reasonable on the price. I would save the fragging for other stuff personally.

Nems typically split when they are really happy or as a self preservation when they are on the verge of dying.

Bubbles will split by themselves be careful what you ask for ,they can take over. As for other amemones cut them down the center and then put them in a bowl not bothered by anything and then will heal . I did this with a very large carpet anemone with no problems

I’m partially hoping to do this to offset some of these costs, would like to sell some off to be able to buy more obviously. I’ve read a couple times that feeding heavy might also help promote splitting, but since I’m already battling green slime algae buildup, I’d prefer not to feed any more than I have to until that is under control.

Welcome to DRC! We all have the “frags will support my tank habit” dream :slight_smile: BTAs are definitely a good source if you can keep them going.

Good luck!

I spot feed mine with a turkey baster so the tank doesnt get overfed

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Nems are easily split with nothing more than a rubber band.

Wrap the rubber band around the nem and the rock that it’s sitting on, not overly tight, but snug, being certain to intersect the mouth. Within a few days the nem will split naturally in to two nems. Leave them be after the split until they come out from behind the rocks on their own, moving them too early can (and usually will) lead to killing them both.

I thought that might work. Once my BTA decides it wants to stay in one spot for more than 2 days I might give it a try

I have a mated pair of clowns that are hosting 2 rose bubbles and 1 green bubble tip. I will let them all go for 75$