sump cleaning

i’ve noticed some detritus collecting in portions of my sump. my question is there any easy way other than siphoning to clean the different sections?..i do not currently have a filter sock on the effluent plumbing something i should probably look into

Naw, Just over fill the sump, like add water or turn off the return pump, so water rises in the sump, then just siphon out to a bucket with a length of 3/8 tubing. That’s what i do. Otherwise, The mud will collect in drifts and make sulfides.

[quote=“kaptken, post:2, topic:1974”]
Naw, Just over fill the sump, like add water or turn off the return pump, so water rises in the sump, then just siphon out to a bucket with a length of 3/8 tubing. That’s what i do. Otherwise, The mud will collect in drifts and make sulfides. [/quote]

i’m not going to be able to create a siphon using gravity considering the sump would be level with the collection bucket…was browsing the the net and came across a drill pump…the detritus isn’t that bad as of yet but i don’t want any detritus accumulating to a large degree

even tho the tops (or bottom) of the sump and container may be level… if the container is empty it will siphon until the water levels in both are the same. may just have to dump the bucket more often, thats all.

A small aqualifter pump should be able to suction out the detritus.

You also may want to consider increasing the flow to help eliminate the dead spots that allow it to grow in the first place.

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:5, topic:1974”]
A small aqualifter pump should be able to suction out the detritus.

You also may want to consider increasing the flow to help eliminate the dead spots that allow it to grow in the first place.[/quote]

im gonna try adding an extra air pump/stone into the fug to create more flow…i’ll also order some filter socks online…can anyone tell me what a normal rate of accumulation for detritus is in a sump? i have no prior experience to guage