Talk to me about Electric Flame Scallops...

Has anyone here ever kept one? Likes/Dislikes? Care level? What have been your experiences? Hard to feed?

I am loving this clam from PEA, but have read that the flame scallops need to be fed as they are non-photosynthetic. They don’t appear to be too expensive, but I still would like to see it thrive, and not slowly die.

I like their little lightening bolts that can be seen on their mantles.

Discuss.

They have a very abysmal survival rate, due to their feeding requirements. This article is a little old, but I believe is still valid:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/7/inverts

More info under “bivalves”:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-11/as/index.php

They also shoot around your tank knocking things over and getting stuck behind rocks never to be seen again

Looks like I’ll skip this one for now. Thanks for the info all.

had one… for about a month. tried my best to feed it but such is life…

I tried the regular non-flame scallop a looooong time ago. Made it about a month, but one thing I didn’t count on was they can move like nobody’s business. Looked for it the next day after adding it, and it moved to the back of the tank and I couldn’t reach it without tearing everything apart. So there it stayed till it died.

I had 2 of these one made it a couple weeks the other I think a couple months. They went to the back of my tank where they were not to be seen without scraping the black paint on the back of the tank. Survival rate is still low on these things and are one creature of many that should be left alone in their habitat.

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:7, topic:7212”]
Survival rate is still low on these things and are one creature of many that should be left alone in their habitat.[/quote]

+1 and I never heard anyone to have been able to keeps those thing alive at all. I guess those that get them are attract to them by the flaming things that they do. And never do their home work/research like Rob is doing on how hard they are to keep.