Tank disaster

Just came home from a day out with wife nd kids to a 97.8 degree tank [emoji20] New frags from yesterday’s swap r dead along with most of my other corals and my fairy wrasse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heater stuck on.

Ugh! That suuuuuucks!

That does stink. Sorry to hear. You coming to the meeting tomorrow? If so I can bring you some frags to help restock.

I know that feeling all to well, stuck heater caused my first tank crash, was the driving factor in getting a controller, I went with a Apex Jr and it does what I need with a PM1 PM2 and breakout box.

[quote=“mortyn02, post:5, topic:8819”]
That does stink. Sorry to hear. You coming to the meeting tomorrow? If so I can bring you some frags to help restock.[/quote]
I won’t b at the meeting. I appreciate it tho. I’m not ready to put more stuff in here yet. I have to clean up all the dead stuff in there. Do u think ne of it might come back? I want to do another water change this morning once I get more salt. Temps down to 81.4

The bleached corals may or may not come back. Can’t tell from the pictures if there’s any flesh left on them or not. I would recommend not taking any of the skeletons out of the tank though, we’ve seen many times where a corals looks like a piece of chalk for months and then all of a sudden a polyp appears.

The one’s that do have the flesh and color left have the best chance of recovering, although it won’t be an overnight return to full health. Water changes, run some fresh carbon, and skim a little wetter than usual.

Piece of advice for the future though - like Hudzon said - a controller can really help prevent this type of crash, if a controller is out of your budget then instead of replacing the heater with 1 big one capable of handling the thermal needs of the tank, use 2 or 3 smaller ones. This way if a heater sticks on you’ll be able to notice a slight temp increase, a small heater won’t have the ability to super heat the water. Conversely, if a heater fails, the other one (or 2) will be able to keep the tank warm enough without causing a crash until it’s noticed and replaced.

I agree about the controller. I still have not picked one up but I have had several heaters fail in my basement tank over the years. I recently had 2 running in the tank and still had one get stuck on. Luckily for me that tank is my fish only tank with just a clownfish and a watchman we have had for years and are very resiliant. My main tank will be getting a controller sometime in the very near future.

There are $15 heater controller options too. That gives you redundancy with the heater’s onboard thermostat and an external one.

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:8, topic:8819”]
The bleached corals may or may not come back. Can’t tell from the pictures if there’s any flesh left on them or not. I would recommend not taking any of the skeletons out of the tank though, we’ve seen many times where a corals looks like a piece of chalk for months and then all of a sudden a polyp appears.

The one’s that do have the flesh and color left have the best chance of recovering, although it won’t be an overnight return to full health. Water changes, run some fresh carbon, and skim a little wetter than usual.

Piece of advice for the future though - like Hudzon said - a controller can really help prevent this type of crash, if a controller is out of your budget then instead of replacing the heater with 1 big one capable of handling the thermal needs of the tank, use 2 or 3 smaller ones. This way if a heater sticks on you’ll be able to notice a slight temp increase, a small heater won’t have the ability to super heat the water. Conversely, if a heater fails, the other one (or 2) will be able to keep the tank warm enough without causing a crash until it’s noticed and replaced.[/quote]
So u don’t think the gook coming off the acans will foul my water? I’m going to get a cheap temp controller off Amazon for the time being untill I can afford the apex jr

LPS tend to slime up when they are stressed. Just do water changes, run some carbon and keep up with your testing. You’d be surprised what can survive.

Ok i wasn’t sure if was going to spike my ammonia. I moved them all to the sump so I can clean nd do a 10g water change.

You’re probably going to get a spike. You will most likely go through a small cycle now. There will be a good bit of die-off, but regular water changes and skimming wet should get you through it.

as it sits right now. Just changed 10g temps at 80.9. Put a carbon filter in a hob on DT. Fish look normal. Lost a few snails. I still c 3. Hermits r still cursing around. Nd Zoas r opening. Gsp still closed. Water still a bit cloudy.

so I gotta ask, I’m a simple person when it comes to all the gadgets but is this the exact piece your talking about? https://www.amazon.com/Neptune-Systems-AquaController-Display-Probe/dp/B005H1A2BE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476735658&sr=8-1&keywords=apex+jr

That what I want but can’t afford right now. So I’m temporarily going with this one Inkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1100w, w… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011296704/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_x_iEtbyb6MN5230

The inkbirds are a great option.

Sorry to see that this happened. I know how you feel. I went through it myself, but not with the heater being stuck, my tank crack at the bottom. Had to start all over. I’m sure once you’re ready to re stock, our club members are willing to donate some corals for you, like they did me. good luck.

[quote author=reefman66 link=topic=10127.msg86914#msg86914 date=1476784010]
Sorry to see that this happened. I know how you feel. I went through it myself, but not with the heater being stuck, my tank crack at the bottom. Had to start all over. I’m sure once you’re ready to re stock, our club members are willing to donate some corals for you, like they did me. good luck.
[/
Thank you.