tank drilling

So i think i have finally decided to take a chance and drill my tank. Before i do it i would like opinions and info so i don’t screw up. from johns suggestion I am going to do the herbie setup two drilled 1" holes at the top of my tank one valved for full siphon and the other is the secondary drain i will drop both of these down about 3 feet then “T” them together and go to 1.5" pvc. I will be using all sch 80 pipe with unions. this will then drain into a container in the basement then into a tank then in another container and then pumped back to the tank. The return pump will be the reeflo barracuda/hammerhead hybrid pump 2800gph/4200gph with 14’ head http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/reeflo-barracuda-hammerhead-hybrid-pump-4590-6000gph.html I hope this pump will be ok from what i see it seems perfect. I will use a vibration buffer with the pump so its not all hard pipe to transfer sound. I am using all schedule 80 because I don’t want to hear water flowing at all and will take any precaution to prevent it. Any suggestion, input, and recommendations are appreciated and welcome, please. I want this to be right, and I’m very particular.

What type of overflow are you doing? internal, external? how are you getting to the back of your tank or are you drilling from the side?

are you saying only a 1 inch overflow drain for a 2800 gph pump? got a good mop?

i like using a TEE where the overflow comes out of the tank. and put a length of piep in the open vertical TEE that goes above the tank top, to act as an air vent vacuum breaker.

i will move the tank out from the wall. the over flow will be inside. there will be two 1" pipes one will be full siphon

I would use flex spa for the drain and return. You won’t hear water noise. I used it on my 300 flowing over 5000 gph.

With that size pump you better use 1.5" holes. A 1" drain in rated on the safe side of 700 gph but would be able to handle 1000 but will have noise. I would either rethink your pump or your drains. If you use what is stated you will have to choke back the pump which imo is a waste of a pump.

Have you look into bean animal style? similar to the herbie, but one more drain for emergency. That’s what I’m doing on mine.

thats what i was thinking reef hut but i just spent hours reading beans setup lol reefman yes it is sweet. just like herbie but extra pipe but i still haven’t figured out if i can go to the basement with one pipe or it has to be three. from what i am reading a 1" bulkhead with 1.5" pipe handles 3000 gph no problem at full siphon. all regular style overflows are rated so low because they don’t siphon. I could’ve swore that when i do a wc with a 1" tube it fills faster than 700gph lol

Flow rates

#1 FlexPVC®.com Water Flow Charts Based on Pipe Size (GPM/GPH) ie, How much water can flow through Sch 40 Pvc Pipe Size 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 3" 4" 6"

Yes I think I’ll do what bean animal did himself is 1" bulkheads with 1.5" PVC pipe. The problem is basement sumps arent covered in detail, so the extra drop could pull too hard.

[quote=“dunk, post:9, topic:5413”]
Yes I think I’ll do what bean animal did himself is 1" bulkheads with 1.5" PVC pipe. The problem is basement sumps arent covered in detail, so the extra drop could pull too hard.[/quote]

Not sure about that, but maybe you can post the question on his thread on RC. Someone should be able to answer.

I’ll take a look at this another time in detail, but do NOT go with schedule 80. In all odds there are many other items that will make more noise then the water in the pipes. You can’t hear it unless you put your eat against it. Besides that it costs more, harder to come by, and how many pounds of weight do you want to use to make your lever connected to a glass wall? S80 is heavy.

Ken with a “herby”, “bean animal”, and many of the other named plumbing methods one of the 2 or three drains is a full siphon. You don’t want a constantly present siphon break on a siphon line. :wink: (now you do want one fairly soon in the tank or overflow box so you don’t drain a lot of water into your sump during a power outage or you’ll need a large sump you can’t fully utilize)

[quote=“dunk, post:9, topic:5413”]
The problem is basement sumps arent covered in detail[/quote]

What do you mean by this? What would pull to hard? Do you mean the siphon would take too much water? In this case, and most of the time you use a ball valve or gate valve(the latter is better) to restrict the siphon. Typically you want the siphon to handle as much of the water as possible with out it sucking air. The little bit it doesn’t handle quietly overflows down the durso style overflow. In the bean animal design the durso style which often handles very little flow will convert into a full siphon if the water level gets really high for some reason.

They don’t explain basement sump setups all that much. What I was thinking is the valve would be by the tank and the siphon will break after the valve due to not enough water volume after the valve but I found that you put the valve down by the sump. He has a flow chart for siphon. A full siphon 1" pipe cam move like 6000gph at 12’ drop. Wow that’s a lot