Tank Tour - Icy1155 January/February 2009

Ok, I just thought I would let everyone know to check out the front page. There is a new TOTM posted, and we should have more new ones on a better schedule now.

Awesome!

The Tank tour is up take a minute to check it out.

http://delreefclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=1

This is an awesome softy dominated Coral tank.

Very lush setup. It looks great!

Love your tank icy. I can’t wait to see it in person. I have been considering a sebae for my 95 and I am wondering if yours moves around? What does it like for flow and light?

Thank you for the compliments everyone.

Ento: It doesnt move around much once it gets established in a spot that it is happy with the flow, light, ect. As far as what it prefers, it is in medium flow, about 2-4" beneath our T5’s, so pretty high lights, although before we had it the previous owner kept it for years under 440W VHO’s.

[quote=“icy1155, post:6, topic:795”]
Thank you for the compliments everyone.

Ento: It doesnt move around much once it gets established in a spot that it is happy with the flow, light, ect. As far as what it prefers, it is in medium flow, about 2-4" beneath our T5’s, so pretty high lights, although before we had it the previous owner kept it for years under 440W VHO’s.[/quote]

So your sebae is on the rocks not the sand? I always thought they were sand dwellers. If I can find a healthy one I just my try it.

Icy as always that tank is truly inspirational. Can’t wait to grow up and have a tank like yours GolfC

Dont take my word on the anemone being a Seabae… that just as close as I could figure. It may be a different type of anemone, but I really dont know how to ID them.

Yes, ours is in the rockwork.

Hi there… Great looking tank! Q for you - I see that you are using T5s. I only have PC and MH experience. Looks like you are having awesome luck with T5s. Any advice about running them? I was looking to get a 4 bulb setup for my 46 bow… I would rather 6 bulbs but it was 2x the price…

Thanks!

Well, my advice for T5’s is mostly related to DIY’ing a system, but I’ll give my :TWOCENTS . I think they put out more than enough light for anything. We have tried keeping some sps in the tank, and I can tell you that there was more than enough light for them… in fact you have to acclimate them carefully otherwise it can shock them. All of our corals seem to be completly happy in the tank, and we keep a clam and anemones at the bottom of the tank and they are all growing quite well. The cost for changing individual bulbs is less, but in the long run it is about the same amount because of the larger number of bulbs. Having high quality reflectors is definatley a necessity… it really does triple the light output, even though that is hard to imagine. I had to put our reflectors on over the course of a month because it was such a difference with each one I put on.

Icy do you run stock ballasts or over drive any of the bulbs?

Nope, I run stock ballasts. They are the ones that Ted got a while back. They do run the bulbs as “HO” however, so they have more output than normal T5 ballasts.

whats the name of your ballast? ordered workhorses for cranemans build.

I’ll have to dig out my spare and find out. Get back to you tomorrow with that.

Sylvania Quicktronics QTP

Very Nice looking tank ICY. I cant wait to come see it.

Martin, a workhorse 7(220 watts at 800ma HO) would be perfect for a 4 x 54w lamp set up. the workhorse 5(128 watts at 800ma HO) will run two 54 watt bulbs a little on overdrive. but just fine.

Sylvania Quicktronic QTP 2X54T5HO/UNV

.kaptken ya those are the ones we ordered for his set up you suggested these before too me. was just wondering what icy was running.

[quote=“ronert, post:18, topic:795”]
Sylvania Quicktronic QTP 2X54T5HO/UNV[/quote]