TDS

I just added an inline TDS meter to my RODI unit. After about 10 minutes the readings seem to have stabilized around 4ppm.

I’ve been researching acceptable levels and there seems to be a few different philosophies out there. Some folks say anything above Zero means it’s time to change. Others say let it run to 10. Just curious what you guys think?

We were talking about this on Facebook (I’m Adam).

The pick you posted looks to be a 4 stage RO system, not RODI. Where does the output from the RO membrane go? It looks like it goes down to maybe a storage container?

4 ppm from a RO membrane is decent, but it depends on the TDS and pressure of your incoming water. With a SpectraPure system, you should be getting 98.5% rejection.

I change mine when it gets above 4ppm.

[quote=“TheEngineer, post:2, topic:8910”]
We were talking about this on Facebook (I’m Adam).

The pick you posted looks to be a 4 stage RO system, not RODI. Where does the output from the RO membrane go? It looks like it goes down to maybe a storage container?

4 ppm from a RO membrane is decent, but it depends on the TDS and pressure of your incoming water. With a SpectraPure system, you should be getting 98.5% rejection.[/quote]

I’m 99% sure this is an RODI unit. I might have my terminology a bit off but I believe the horizontal cartridge on top is what is called the RO membrane. Then the 3 verticle compartments are a sediment block, a carbon block and finally the DI resin.

And to answer your question I have two Brute trash cans. I can’t remember if they are 32 or 45 gallons.

You are correct, the horizontal cartridge is the RO membrane. Where does the output of the RO membrane go?

[quote=“TheEngineer, post:5, topic:8910”]
You are correct, the horizontal cartridge is the RO membrane. Where does the output of the RO membrane go?[/quote]
To the third compartment, the DI resin chamber. Water goes in this order… sediment, carbon, ro membrane, Ä‘i resin, tds meter, trash can

Got it. OK, that clears things up.

You need to replace your DI resin. It should always be zero coming out of there.

I change my DI at 2ppm.

thanks guys. I’ll replace all 3 cartridges on Friday and report back the TDS readings

So do you all change your di more often than the rest of your filters? If so what intervals? I just changed all of mine out because the di needed replacing a couple weeks ago

And yes I kno I can’t spell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They say to change the pre filters every 6 months. I thinks that’s too often. I wait for the pressure to drop by 5 psi then I change them. RO should be very 2 years. DI just when it is depleted.

I’m planning to swap out my prefilters next week actually. They’ve lasted two years. Gonna do the full disinfection this time around.

[quote=“TheEngineer, post:11, topic:8910”]
They say to change the pre filters every 6 months. I thinks that’s too often. I wait for the pressure to drop by 5 psi then I change them. RO should be very 2 years. DI just when it is depleted.[/quote]

This depends on incoming water quality. Also if you have high amounts of chlorine or that other chemical i gorget the name but its likes chlorine, that kills pefilter life also. Most filter mfg have a rated amount of gallons each filter is good upto to keep fters qorking at max performance. But as adam said to get the most life a 3-5psi drop is what most look for.

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:13, topic:8910”]

[quote=“TheEngineer, post:11, topic:8910”]
They say to change the pre filters every 6 months. I thinks that’s too often. I wait for the pressure to drop by 5 psi then I change them. RO should be very 2 years. DI just when it is depleted.[/quote]

This depends on incoming water quality. Also if you have high amounts of chlorine or that other chemical i gorget the name but its likes chlorine, that kills pefilter life also. Most filter mfg have a rated amount of gallons each filter is good upto to keep fters qorking at max performance. But as adam said to get the most life a 3-5psi drop is what most look for.[/quote]

Chloramines.

Well I change out everything twice a year or when my first DI output is 1 and that feeds a add-on SuperDI MaxCap DI and SuperDI SilicaBuster Cartridges which are still outputting 0 after two years now.
But my replacement packs only cost $35.00 for all of it.
http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=53_51_97&products_id=106

went with the generic replacement pack on Amazon. $32 for all three filters. reading zero tds.