The beauty of logistics!

Amazon is a beautiful evil! I needed some things so I could complete some projects and I wanted it for this weekend. It was Thursday when I ordered my 1st thing and it had a promise delivery date of Saturday the 2nd. 2 days to make it from New Jersey to my house in Dover. Not bad, I could drive to New Jersey and back in a day so for me to order it and be at my house for free shipping in 2 days isn’t impressive yet still beautiful logistics. Well Friday came and I realized I needed another part. So I turned to Amazon hoping to get it by Saturday as well. So after 45 mins of scouring Amazon I thought I wouldn’t be able to get it. Well then I clicked used and by happens chance they (Amazon) had an open/damaged box item and one day shipping for 8 bucks. Retail price for the item was 5 bucks more than the damaged package item! 3 bucks more for overnight shipping, that’s a steal! So here comes the beauty of it all! I started to track my package and guess what, it was in Ontario, CA… Not Cananda but California! All the way on the West Coast! Mind you I ordered this at noon eastern time so 9am pacific time. So I thought this will probably be late or get here 8pm. Well as I’m in the garage working I hear the UPS truck pull up and dropped my package off, 45 minutes before my 2 day shipping product that came from New Jersey (it came by USPS) So for $3.00 my product shipped from Ontario California to Dover Delaware less than 24 hours! 3 measly bucks! I opened the 1/2 lb package and the bottom of the clear plastic had a small crack in it! The beauty of logistics sometimes gets overlooked because we expect it, yet the ability of getting a small, not at all important, piece of equipment, just to satisfy my need is extremely impressive in my book! Oh so what were the peices that I ordered? Well of course it was for my new tank set-up! My AI hydra 26 stand and a new apex powerbar! YahoO

Pretty crazy, right? We bought a John Deere power wheels for my daughter and it came from somewhere far, can’t remember where, in two days. The thing weighs 50lbs!

Yes, it’s amazing what some of the promotional algorithms will do for cost of shipping. but overall, the carbon footprint of shipping it has to have been high. another wild coral may have bleached from global CO2 warming from the 3000 mile air shipping of your part for a couple dollars.

Ahhh?? Alas. sometimes we are self defeating.

Do you know that the arctic maximum sea ice cover this winter was a new minimum?
Another record low for Arctic sea ice maximum winter extent | Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis

that means even more warming in the tropical reef latitudes to come. We are losing the battle to save the reefs from global warming. The coral gametes can slowly move to northern latitudes, to the extent that offshore habitat is available. But, for the south pacific seas, there is none for thousands of miles. That is where most of our tank corals come from.

Oh~~~ whoa is us!

Oh WOW! Not to beat a dead horse, i always see cause and effect connections to everything. But atmospheric CO2 just hit a new all time high of 406 PPM.

It is the winter season where CO2 gets higher each year, because summer is the green season in the north which takes a few PPM out of the air. But the chart is a saw tooth of higher annual highs and higher annual lows. It’s moving up fast. like fer instance the year i was born it was only about 300 PPM. up over 100 PPM in my lifetime.
Must be my fault?
Sorry~~ I’m trying to quit.

[quote=“kaptken, post:4, topic:8589”]
Oh WOW! Not to beat a dead horse, i always see cause and effect connections to everything. But atmospheric CO2 just hit a new all time high of 406 PPM.

It is the winter season where CO2 gets higher each year, because summer is the green season in the north which takes a few PPM out of the air. But the chart is a saw tooth of higher annual highs and higher annual lows. It’s moving up fast. like fer instance the year i was born it was only about 300 PPM. up over 100 PPM in my lifetime.
Must be my fault?
Sorry~~ I’m trying to quit.[/quote]
It’s all your fault! :slight_smile:

To be fair, 43% of all carbon emissions come from coal power plants. We switched to 100% wind years ago.

That’s good Icy, switching to wind sourced power. its still a small part of the over all grid power supply, but growing fast. actually, coal now accounts for 32% of the national electric supply and natural gas has passed it at 33% and nuclear is still about 20%. the rest is hydro, wind, solar, geothermal, biomass in more or less that descending order. Not accounting for other CO2 sources like transportation(Car , truck, train, ship,plane) contribution, and agriculture and domesticated farm animals for food trash, sewage … etc…

You know, This is a subject I am very keen on, and is of growing importance to us all and to the Wild Reef source of our hobby, as time goes by. So rather than hijacking Justin’s thread much longer, let me start a new one in a day or two,on our environmental forum. The Science and math of it all is simple, but astounding!