Time for an algae reactor

I think I’m going to finally make the leap and swap out my skimmer for an algae reactor. I converted a mixed bed reactor I bought from a member into an algae reactor months ago, but I never got around to putting it online. I find my corals do way better when there are higher nutrient levels in the water, but that has the obvious drawbacks of unsightly algae in the DT.

I’m going to also put together a DIY build thread on the conversion. It, of course, involved using lasers :slight_smile:

Anyone else running an algae scrubber of any kind? Just a fuge? If so, what kind of algae are you growing?

1 Like

I’m just running a fuge and skimmer I know john at frags to fishes had told me i should ditch the fuge and go to a scrubber so I’m fallowing this

1 Like

The idea has always appealed to me. Seems right that if you give the algae an easier place to grow they will grow there instead of the tank. We shall see!

1 Like

I have a Clearwater 100 algae scrubber. Unfortunately I had to tear this 120 down again…and am in process of setting back up, but the issue I have is, the algae scrubber sits on top of the sump and takes up tremendous real estate in the stand. Any advice is welcome

1 Like

@pdiehm size was one reason I didn’t go with a traditional scrubber. Those clearwater scrubbers look great, but the double sided light means you have to keep the whole thing out of the water. I really like the algae reactors that Skimz and others have been putting out.

My issue with them is the price. $230 for a reactor with a light stuck in the middle seems really steep. I know you paid a lot more for yours if you got it new. I made mine for about $65.

Handy isn’t in my dna. I can barely make an aqua scale let alone a reactor

1 Like

I’m sure you could make this :slight_smile: It took some doing to make the new acrylic parts, but now it is just assembly.

I installed a icecap alge scrubber this week. Did a DYI last year and took my levels of nitrate and phosphate down to Zero. Some corals started to loos there color. I stopped using it and all came back. NOW I have so many fish in my system I can’t get my levels down to a good level( starting to lose coral because of high levels) so I’m back to a alge scrubbers. Will keep you updated to its progress.

1 Like

Got a pic @MarineMike5? I don’t think I know that one.

I started feeding really heavily and the corals all colored up great. Then the algae started…

Z![IMG_1297|669x499](upload://ul11BoEV9c33jnoE2B
After I start growing alge and test I will start to feed heavily and adjust everything(water flow, how much food to feed) and hope I can dial everything in to get the disered results. Fat fish and healthy corals. The only coral given me trouble is green monticaps. High levels they are good low levels they die.

1 Like

I tried an algae scrubber, but I couldn’t get anything to grow on it. I can grow chaeto so easy in my sump but I was trying to contain the light so I wouldn’t have algae growing in my skimmer and all over the rest of my sump. I am back to cheato in the fuge section with a new light that is more focused in an attempt to keep it only on the one section.

1 Like

if anyone seeing this wants an algae reactor. I made one about 6 mos ago from a media reactor i purchased from marine depot…it’s the xtra large size…comes with hydroponic LED’s I wrapped around it. Also installed plastic splines to keep the chaeto in place…brand new never used…willing to let it go cheap…can post a pic if need be…thnx

1 Like

I also feel this way, I feel algea is gonna grow. It depends on where you want it to grow and how fast.