Todd's 90 gallon

Ha - it’s funny what reefers will come up with to make their lives easier.

Ah, Thanks guys, i just have really tough coraline. its like an eigth inch thick.

Did we highjack this thread enough yet?

I like your tank, Todd. It looks…GREAT!!

Thanks Ken -

I think it’s funny when threads take different directions and take on different discussions. We’re all real people and thoughts come up and need discussion. It’s cool with me. Matter of fact on my other reef club site, this same thread took on topics about bears and bobcats, guns, etc. It’s too funny.

if you skimming at the high water level line and not overflowing your cup I think you need to make a water depth adjustment of how deep the water is in the skimmer section, for instance my skimmer needs to be in 5.5 inches of water if it gets over 6 inches it will not work well at all and the manufacture states 6 - 9 inches of water depth…

Here’s a good growth shot after I got frags from B toward the end of June / early July. That’s the pocci colony I got from him in the center. Oh - and Matt’s tri-color toward the upper right side. Crazy how the colors change.

A couple of days after I got it:

Today:

And in other news, it looks like my birdsnest is getting ready to spawn - called brood planulae:

Overall colony:

Now - look toward the center of the pics and you can see globular looking balls growing on the coral’s flesh. I thought it was pretty cool. I’m going to try to track when it spawns, apparently depending on when it spawns will determine where in the world (GBR, Japan, etc.) it actually comes from.

Wow, that’s some nice growth on those sticks. That’s pretty cool also about the bird nest. How soon you think it will try to spawn?

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I think it will be sometime this month which I believe would mean this piece originally comes from the Great Barrier Reef.

That is some amazing research on their spawning, to be able to track its origin. I hope some of the polyps settle out where you can grow them.

I can’t take credit for the research, I was directed to an article which broke it down. If I get a successful spawn with settlement, I’ll be completely shocked and ecstatic.

What type of bird nest is that by the way? Penopae?

It started off as a pink birdsnest with purple polyps I got from Matt abck in like November or something. This is the frag when I first got it:

I think I’m going to start calling this the “chameleon birdsnest” - it just keeps changing colors.

Heck, why not. Jason Fox put his name on stuff that other people already have and call his Fox LE. I say name your’s “Todd ’ s chameleon birdnest”. BTW that thing looks awsome!

Thanks A - hahaha - it would be sweet if I could market my name like that.

[quote=“reefman66, post:33, topic:7325”]
Heck, why not. Jason Fox put his name on stuff that other people already have and call his Fox LE. I say name your’s “Todd ’ s chameleon birdnest”. BTW that thing looks awsome![/quote]

I gotta agree with you there A, and I even like the name…now if I could only keep them living in my tank :-(" :-("

This tank looks amazing in person, pics don’t do it justice. Thanks for the tour todd, looks great.

Anytime brother. I appreciate it, I’m happy with the results so far. I’m going to have to take some new pics now and update this thread.

Pics would be great for those of us who haven’t been to visit.

Please!!

[quote=“kaptken, post:38, topic:7325”]
Pics would be great for those of us who haven’t been to visit.

Please!![/quote]

any pics of the sump setup would be great to :slight_smile:

Yeah, I need to take some pics - lol. I need to totally clean that mug up though. It’s pretty dirty right now.