Todd's office cube

I thought I started a thread here about my office nano, but I guess not. verdict_in

Anyway, thought I’d share a couple of pics and give a quick system rundown.

• Tank is a 25 gallon cube (18" x 18" x 18") on a real cheap DIY stand. Nothing fancy there, just some 2x4’s that aren’t even painted or closed in. No sump, everything is self contained.
• I have a small HOB Aquaclear filter that I use as a small HOB fuge and just recently converted into a prison for some peppermints I just gave away.
• Water movement is by a MJ1200 with a SCWD and a small Korallia powerhead.
• I’m using a Tunze 9002 skimmer that I broke, then ended up fixing.
• Lighting is a single, double ended 150 watt Phoenix 14k lamp with no additional supplemental lighting.

The system right now is housing a bunch of corals that will be transferred over to my 90 - if I ever get the thing running, and ultimately, this will be a BTA / macro dominated tank that will house just my 2 clowns and my 6-line wrasse.

Anyway - hope you like the pics, I’m pleased with the way things are going since this is pretty much my first “successful” nano.

Looks great todd, nice rbta also. ::thumbsup::

Nice Todd. Are the clowns hosting that nems? or they’re just wondering off?

Very nice looking, good colors, coral variety and growth. Great job! ::thumbsup::

Thanks fellas.

No hosting yet. They will hover over it and kind of sniff it out off and on throughout the day, but they haven’t gone for it yet. Maybe one day.

Few updated shots.

I picked up 2 green BTA’s at the last meeting and now I have 3 ;D They’re doing great.

Since I went back to VB this past week, I also picked up a huge colony of green trumpets, a purple bonsai frag, a very light green / white favia frag, and my favorite palys in the world - nuclear greens and purple deaths.

This poor tank is sooo small for what I have in there now :SURRENDER

[quote=“Sneeyatch, post:6, topic:7144”]
This poor tank is sooo small for what I have in there now :SURRENDER[/quote]

That’s why I think I can never do a nano reef tank. Your tank is almost filled to the brim Todd lOl. Love the Bonzai, that’s my favorite in this world. Hard to fine the real GARF Bonzai. Real purple with neon green polyp.

Yeah, it’s one of my favorites too. I was surprised to see it at the LFS and they had 3 frags about the size of the one I got and a big colony - maybe baseball size. The frags were $30 each and I didn’t even ask how much the colony was. This is the real deal for sure - slam purple all the way around - no color variation at all, with neon green polyps.

Well - major overhaul on the cube over the last few days. I moved 95% of the corals from there into the 90. Now the cube looks like a glorified fuge with some fish.

I think I lost the bonsai though. I moved it up onto a frag rack and within about a week, it bleached. I totally underestimated the Phoenix halide, they’re no joke. I have SOME hope for it, I moved it to the bottom hoping it will recover…

Next I’ll be setting up a quarantine for the fish I have just to make sure they’re aren’t carrying anything when I move them over to the 90. I don’t think they are, but I’ve been bitten too many times by the parasite thing to not do it. I’m going to keep my wrasse in the cube for a while though, it does a great job picking at things all day long as well as to keep a bioload going.

I think I’m going to do something different with the cube and will probably sell off the majority of the live rock and start with new.

I’ll post some pics of the 90 when I get a chance.

Don’t forget to post pics of the 90g build Todd. We would love to see it.

Update -

Went to Virginia Beach and came back with a few fish:

1.) Royal Gramma
2.) Lawnmower Blenny
3.) Yasha Goby
4.) Female Lemark Angel

Lost the angel this morning. I hate losing fish… Looked fine at the store (like always), ate fine, so I brought it home. Got up this morning to a floater… Red splotches on it’s side, so I’m chocking it up to a bacterial infection of some type.

BUT - the good news about that is, all of my fish are in a QT tank now that I set-up right before I left. All the remaining fish and my 2 clowns from the office cube are being treated, are eating and all look good.

I’m getting ready to do a series of big water changes either this evening or tomorrow to get the cube back on track. I used a lot of it’s water to set-up the QT, so the cube is running about half full. My wrasse doesn’t care and all the corals are out of it anyway, so it’s overhaul time for it anyway. My new plan for the cube will be to turn it into a frag tank. I already made the eggcrate shelves I want, there’s still a good amount of rock and sand in there and the wrasse, so I’m hoping this will be a good frag tank. Every time I go back to Va Bch, I plan on getting more frags that aren’t as common around here and hopefully grow them out and spread the wealth.

The 90’s chugging along just fine, but I completely underestimated the LED intensity - those things are extremely bright for the corals. I’ve got them dialed back so much right now it’s almost embarrassing.

Been extremely busy again with work, I’ll try to get some pics up as soon as I can.

Wow, sorry to hear about your lost Todd. I hate losing fish too, especially nice fish. That’s another reason why I don’t keep many fish in my tank.

Please do get some uncommon corals. I think everyone in the club has every body else corals as well. It would be nice to have some uncommon ones.

Don’t forget to post pics of the 90g build too.

I will - I’m just scatterbrained, especially when I’m busy with work.

I almost picked up a very large frag (small colony) of true Undata. Gorgeous colors and if the price was correct, it was a major steal - but - I was looking for fish this time.

I was happy last night - the lights in the office were off except for the QT tank. The fish can’t see you that well with the room lights off, so I was just looking around in there watching. The Yasha was out and about and everyone in there was minding their own business picking on the rocks and just doing what they do. Made me feel good to see the Yasha though - they’re super secretive and shy fish. I think mine’s a female, so maybe one day I’ll try to get her a little boyfriend.

And - as always - I go to VaBch once a month. If anyone’s looking for anything in particular, let me know. I can look for it and we can work out something. This goes for corals, inverts and now that I have the QT set-up, I MAY be able to do some fish.

Here’s a quick pic of the 90 as of this morning. Not much to see from the pic, but there’s a decent amount of coral in there - no fish till the 10th though. The fish in QT are doing well.

Like the scape Todd. What lights are you using for it?

Thanks A - The lights are from Reef Radiance, their DM-155e’s - 2 of them with 90º optics. I need to start a different thread for the 90 and I’ll add more pics and give specs.

Wow 2 fixtures. That’s a lot of light. One will not cover it?

It is a lot of light - but I actually get some shadowing in the center, the fixtures are kind of small.

I’m going to try to take some more pics today and start a new thread. There’s a lot of stuff with this tank that wasn’t really covered with this thread.