Torch coral - seems unhappy

I took on a seemingly weak torch that wasn’t performing well in another guys tank. It has opened up a bit here and there, but mostly seems about halfway open, it had three majanos hitching on it when i put it in the tank (I removed them right away and thought maybe this is why it is weak - being irritated my the nems)
Any how two weeks later not much improvement, I will be patient, however today I noticed two of the tentacles have swollen at the base.
Looking to see if any one has any insight on this situation, or any experience with tentacles bubbling up.

Can you post some pics? What are your tank parameters? Lighting and flow in that spot?

Ours actually bubble up from time to time. But not sure why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can post specific parameters tonight, but I know that my nitrates and phosphates are always very low almost undetectable PH is stable, no amonia. Calcium stays at about 450ish I rarely check the mag or calcium because it is usually the same.

The flow is moderate to low in this spot, the lighting is good too (low in the tank - not crowded or shaded - under LEDs that ramp up from 5% to 90% and back down from 8:00AM to 9:00PM)
It is down stream from a group of Giant Rhodactis shrooms - could the shrooms be putting the voodoo on it?

here is a pic

aaa.pdf (4.5 MB)

aaa.pdf (4.5 MB)

maybe I should have mentioned that all of my sps are colored up with good polyp extenstion, all of the frags I picked up (at the same time) are doing well. soft corals are good too, this torch is the only problem child

Sounds like (and looks like) it just doesn’t like the spot it is in. Have you tried moving it to higher flow?

No, haven’t moved it, just wanted to leave it alone and see if it would act right.

Do you think it could be more ad a flow issue as opposed to light? I could fix the flow without moving it - just adjust the position of the circulation pump. - I like where it is in the tank - it has room to grow out

Torch corals are picky IME. If you can adjust the flow in that spot, I’d go for it! It is a game of finding where it is happy then it’ll probably take off.

I will take your suggestion, thanks

Move about four inches higher with a little more flow and it is opening up already - only been about 5 or 6 hours…

Amazing how such a small change made such a big difference

Awesome! They sure are picky! :slight_smile:

Glad the torch is doing better!

Doing much better Matt, wasn’t sure there for a while, seems happy now. The clowns have also taken a liking to it.

Awesome! Must have been in a bad spot in the tank. Or it just didn’t like my tank in general. I didn’t know torches were so finicky. Everything I got from you at the swap is doing great!

[quote=“mortyn02, post:15, topic:9099”]
Awesome! Must have been in a bad spot in the tank. Or it just didn’t like my tank in general. I didn’t know torches were so finicky. Everything I got from you at the swap is doing great![/quote]
Glad to hear, same here I0 came home with more stuff than I knew what to do with, spent this past weekend re-arranging to make room for stuff.
I’m gonna need another tank soon
The red monti cap is looking great, my wife likes the birds nest too.