updated video

Since nobody wants to upload pics of their tanks anymore, I guess it must be easier on FB, then so be it. :SURRENDER

http://youtu.be/GyT8OVUkchM

[quote=“houndsbayman, post:1, topic:8118”]
Since nobody wants to upload pics of their tanks anymore, I guess it must be easier on FB, then so be it. :SURRENDER

http://youtu.be/GyT8OVUkchM[/quote] looking good John But on the facebook thing and not wanting to load pics, we have a 180 sitting in our living room That we haven’t had time to do anything with, really sucks just sitting there dry never has had water in it. Spring is a busy time. speaking of that anyone need any hay iv got plenty of it just needs to be raked out of the yard grass is growing way to fast

Very nice!!

Thank you, I would really like to see some pics of your tank. Pay it forward!!! YahoO

All the fish are looking great too, John. Wow , you got a lot of different colored LEDs in your light fixtures. They seem to be doing great for the corals. what kind are you using again?

Thanks Ken, they are the cheap Chinese brand LEDs and I like them very much.

[quote=“houndsbayman, post:1, topic:8118”]

http://youtu.be/GyT8OVUkchM[/quote]

It’s funny because just this weekend I was digging through some moving boxes looking for my camera’s battery charger. I plan on doing a big tank update over the next few days!

John, a couple questions for you since I’m using the same lighting setup.

1. How many inches off the surface are your lights?

2. What % are you running the blue and white lights?

3. What is your photoperiod?

4. Have you made any mods to these lights? Are they ramped up or down or are they just on/off?

5. How long did it take you to acclimate the tank to these LEDs? What do you do when you introduce a new frag? Do you bring the lights back down again?

Thanks! I’m running the same chinese fitures 7" off my water since they are inside the canopy. I’m currently 40% blue/30% white. Blues run 10am-10pm, whites I think are 1pm-7pm. My corals have reacted negatively whenever I’ve tried inching the power up. I should also mention that the whites are barely on at 30%. They don’t fire until 25% and then 30% doesn’t appear to fulling illuminate the diode. Whatever you are doing seems to be working.

1. My fixtures are 13 inches from the top of the water.

2.Right now I have reached the setting at which they will stay, 50% white and 80% blues. But even when I bumped up the % and most corals were looking good, there always seems to be at least one that needs a new location.

3.I start off the morning at 9 am with 2 attinic VHOs for 2 hours, then run LEDs from 11 am till 9 pm and then run VHOs for 1 hour.

4.No mods, just turn on and off

5.I started running them at 60% blues and 30% whites for about 3 weeks and then bumped them up 10% each for a few more weeks and then 10% more each until the present setting. Keep in mind that I was using a DIY LED fixture for a few years, just blues and whites, before the Chinese lights were installed.
New frags ALWAYS get placed low in the tank for 4- 7 days,I just keep an eye on them and see how they are acclimating.
I do not change the LEDs settings when introducing a new frag. Simply because all the corals in the tank have adjusted to the present LED setting.
Lower placement is fine with new frags and then they can be brought up to mid level. Plenty of times after setting a new frag in what I think is an ideal location, the coral lets me know that I am wrong and then it goes somewhere else.

A few years ago when I switched from MH to LEDs, my Superman and Sunset montis did not take to the change very well. I lowered them in the tank, the Sunset monti is on the bottom, and it took them a long, long time to start to grow again. Today they are doing just great.

Great looking tank.

That’s a long photoperiod at 13 hours. Have you had issues with nuisance algae? I’ve always run a shorter photoperiod, ramp on from 11A-1P and then ramp down from 5P-7P (8 hours, but only 4 at full). I think running that short has always inhibited my corals’ growth. When I ran closer to 8 hours at full light levels I had insane algae problems. The shorter time always helped.

It doesn’t look like you are having any algae problems now though.

Thank you

No algae problems, but I do 40 gallon water changes every 2 weeks and skim heavy.

Thanks for the response. I think I need to start ramping the LEDs up a bit.

Very nice John, I’m gonna need a frag of that scroll coral in the left next time I’m down your way hahaha