Waterbox REEF 130.4 build thread

Like the idea of going back and adding a sand coat. I added a few small chips of rock but wish I would’ve camouflage the mortar better in hindsight. Good tip.

1 Like

Hi Jessica. Looks nice. Make sure you leave enough room for ya substrate vac. Makes weekly maintenance so much easier. I didn’t the first time and I’ll never forget it😁

1 Like

I tried a thin skim coat of mortar to hide the seams with sand. It didn’t turn out that great. I could use sand and liquid super glue as an alternative. Or maybe I’ll just be patient and wait since the seams will be hidden by coral and coralline as the tank matures.

1 Like

I got her plumbed! It was super easy! Now to look for a good return pump and skimmer. On the water box website they recommend the Vectra S2 DC pump and Nyos Quantum protein skimmer. The Vectra S2 & M2 models seem to be sold out so I’m looking into alternatives.

5 Likes

I have a Vectra M1 and love it. Totally silent.

I’d imagine any decent DC pump would work too. I got mine used for super cheap.

1 Like

Coming along nicely!

1 Like

You are truly doin ya thing! Looks good😀 Just remember to keep those return lines in the tank barely below the waters surface to avoid back siphoning.

1 Like

Getting closer…

5 Likes

Looking good! How did you get the rock work to extend out in those shapes? Any tips?

1 Like

I broke some of the Marco rock down with a chisel and sledge hammer. I superglued the rock together using Insta-set. I sprayed the insta-set on the rock surfaces prior to applying the super glue and then sprayed the seam with insta-set again. I waited 24 hours prior to mortaring the seams.

The inspiration comes from videos on YouTube by Tidal Gardens, Bulk Reef Supply, and First Time Reefer.

Those rocks look outstanding! I love the way they are sort of tapered as they extend outward.

1 Like

Thanks @Donavon! Now I’m working on making some smaller rock structures to provide more hiding places for fish.

I have the skimmer and return pump set up!

3 Likes

The sump light is voice activated through Alexa.

Kasa Smart TP-Link KL430, Multicolor Smart Light Strip

4 Likes

I made a little cave by supergluing small broken pieces o Marco rock together.

I used Bahama Argonite sand made by Marco Rocks.

2 Likes

:smiley:

1 Like

That looks great

1 Like

I have the tank filled up! I put way too much salt so now I’m working on getting my salinity down. I’m going to work on my sump today. I have to tidy up my wires, pull some marine pure blocks from my other tank and use that to seed the NO3 brick, and hook up my ATO. There is a reservoir for fresh water in the sump.

I really want the BRS WiFi InkbirdSmart temperature controller and titanium heater package but the heater sizes I need has been out of stock. For now I will go without a temperature controller during the cycle.

2 Likes

Woo hoo!! Congrats!

1 Like