Welcome

A little late coming but :Welcome)

this is my first time on a forum. better late than never

also my first time on and I am glad to be a part of this,

So… I don’t know where this thing came from or what it is. I’ve been monitoring it carefully for the last 3-4 months and it is growing fairly steadly. I am pretty sure at this point that it is some sort of stony coral possibly a montipora or maybe Alveopora. I had thought for a breif moment it may have been a Gonipora because of the shape of the polyps and tentacles, but Gonipora has 24 tentacles per polyp while Alveopora has 12. Hard to count in the fuzzy image and in worse in person with it’s small size.

It showed up on a plug of clove polyps. Odds are that this hitchhiked in on the little tiny piece of rock I actually kept when I originally got the coral.

Will be interesting to see what it turns out to be. Any other guesses?

[center]
(Click to see a slightly larger image.)[/center]

could be alveopora. what kind of skeleton does it have?

could be mentioned above, definitally NOT montipora though, polyps are WAY too big.

I had a hitcher that looked very similar, rode in on some live rock. It seemed like the coral left a (coral-shaped) recession in the rock when it died, if that makes any sense.

leptastrea?

I’ve had Leptastrea for three years and it looks nothing like that at this point.

does it look like this?

it could possibly be browned out leptastrea.

could possibly be siderastrea, which is simmiliar to gonipora but it is encrusting