zeolite in reef tanks???

I hope someone can help clarify this issue for me.
Many zeolite packages print : For Freshwater Use on them. Some such as kent marine sell zeolite as a “nitrogen sponge” for marine systems. It is my understanding that zeolite is an adsorber of ammonia and it can help give a place for anerobic bacteria to grow. I even read in an issue of coral a tank owner mixing it in his substrate. So why do some say freshwater and others do not? The contents are the same as far as i can tell. Or is it treated? Does anyone use zeolite in their systems? Please help “clear the water” for me.

The zeolite is useful in a way that it can absorb ammonium in saltwater.
So it is possible with using zeolite to control nutrient in reef tanks.

[quote=“Harris625, post:2, topic:6372”]
The zeolite is useful in a way that it can absorb ammonium in saltwater.
So it is possible with using zeolite to control nutrient in reef tanks.[/quote]

:Welcome) to drc.

your ip address seems to put you in pakistan? is there many people with reef tanks there?

your above response to the original question simply repeated known info, and your posting style on old threads with “generic” responses just seems a little fishy ::rofl::

so if you’re legit… welcome to the club… and if your not a spammer please introduce yourself and your tank.

Thanks john. I forgot all about this thread. Funny answer, we should not have any ammonia / ammoninum in a cycled tank. I did find the answer out to this though after asking many, many people. Zeolite is too aggressive in removing trace elements when first deployed for most reef hobbists. It does help in nitrate removal by giving bacteria a less oxygen rich environment inside it. Most people with reef tanks don’t find the trade off of losing trace elements worth the small benefit of minor nitrate removal.