175g Oceanic Bowfront Build

Why did you cut the overflow(not the notch for the eductor but the back wallcut)? Im thinking your gonna have noise issues and possibly draining issues.

[quote=“reefman66, post:20, topic:8346”]
I have never done this project, but I’ve seen it done differently. What is the purpose of the salt on top of the foam? What does it do?[/quote]

The salt gives the foam a rocky texture. No need to carve or scrape it afterward. No need to embed sand to give it texture (I did that on my last build and wasn’t pleased). The weight of it also keeps the foam from expanding too much, makes it more dense, and takes up less space. That’s why so much is used. I would say the salt was about 6" deep on top of the foam.

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:21, topic:8346”]
Why did you cut the overflow(not the notch for the eductor but the back wallcut)? Im thinking your gonna have noise issues and possibly draining issues.[/quote]

The two overflows will be connected by a coast to coast overflow. Since the main drain will only be on one side, it would be nearly impossible to set it such that both overflows maintain a constant height. It’s the bean animal design, but split over two overflows. Hopefully it will be quiet. We’ll see, it’s kind of an experiment for me.

Ok, but just for your knowledge, its not hard to balance at all. Pvc gate valves on each side will solve that problem. I know this for a fact and could take you to see it if you wanna go to nj. We did a bean on a 125rr with 2 corner overflows and it has pleanty of flow. Hope it all works out for you.

After letting the foam sit with the salt for 24 hours, the salt is vacuumed off. I cleaned out my ShopVac real well, and used a fresh filter so I can reuse the salt for the other panels.

After vacuuming as much as I could, I gave it a good shake to get more off. I then soaked the panel for an hour or so in hot water. This dissolved most of the salt. Then a rinse with hot water to get the rest off, followed by a good rinse with RO water.

I let each panel dry out for two days, made a couple trims as needed and they were ready to mount.

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:24, topic:8346”]
Ok, but just for your knowledge, its not hard to balance at all. Pvc gate valves on each side will solve that problem. I know this for a fact and could take you to see it if you wanna go to nj. Hope it all works out for you.[/quote]

Good to know. I found with my previous tank I need to adjust the gate valve every so often to keep the level in just the one overflow consistent. I also like the idea of the full surface skimming, and the built in “fail safe” of the bean animal. I’m sure I over complicated it, but it’s been fun!

This is where I’m at now. I’m using Momentive RTV103 to mount the panels. They’re sitting on 2x3 scraps and some eggcrate, and propped up against the back with more wood scraps. These panels really want to float, so I’m being generous with the RTV. To that end, I also embedded some zip ties in the bottom of the pannels to attach them to the eggcrate which the Live Rock will sit on, hoping to help hold them down even more.

I’m letting each panel cure 48 hours before removing the supports.

Tonight I’ll be putting in the PVC angle, then I have a piece of rock/foam made up to put on the front of that. I’m really please with the look so far, can’t wait to see it covered with coral and coraline.

Next step will be to build an eel cave with PVC under the sand.

thank for sharing. love to see the outcome.

An interesting build, can’t wait to see how it comes out!

Looking good so far.

cant wait to see the next step’s in this build.

Sorry to leave everyone hanging! First the holidays, then work got a little crazy, most of my free time has gone into tank work. Didn’t leave much time to post about it. Fortunately I took pictures along the way so I can at least catch you up.

First shot is a close up of the detail on the back wall, to explain the reason for using salt.

Next is the connecting weir to join both overflows.

Finally the finished back wall. You can see zip ties at the bottom. The foam is somewhat buoyant. To reduce stress on the back glass and the silicone I’m attaching the back wall to the egg crate I’m putting at the bottom of the tank. My theory was the weight of the sand and rocks would act as a bit of a counter balance to the buoyancy.

I decided this tank is going to have an eel (technically my kids decided) so I built a series of caves for him. I used 3" PVC. The elbows are black ABS elbows, as black would look better than white. I didn’t take pictures of how I foamed them sadly. I cut a square out of egg crate, then cut out the center to the elbow fit thought it. I zip tied it very firmly to the elbow, from all kind of angles to make sure it didn’t move. I then got a cardboard box, put the elbow in and filled it with salt up to the bottom of the egg crate platform. My wife had mason jars that were a perfect fit inside the Elbow opening, so I wrapped them in wax paper and stuffed them in to keep foam from getting inside the pipe.

I built up the foam around the elbow, trying to form a volcano-like structure. I then covered it in salt. It worked really well (in my opinion)

After fitting together the pipes (no glue used, they’re not going anywhere) I cut eggcrate to go over top. My rocks will sit on this platform, so I’m not wasting any rock below the sand, and it’s a nice, sturdy base for the rock.

Finally, started filling with sand. I put in sand up to the level of the eggcrate, then started on the rock.

Changed my plans. I realized that we were talking days to make up enough DI water, pre-mix the salt, and add it to the tank. I decided to get the water started while I did the rock-scaping.

Added a heater and a powerhead. Little bit of a sandstorm, but it cleared up in just 4 hours.

Started working on the rock layout. I was proud of myself. When I started “negotiating” the tank with my wife in September I said I didn’t think I’d even have water in it until Christmas. 12/19 I started adding the water. I am usually horrible at estimating my projects.

Added a shrimp to kick off the cycle. Doing the rock work was really stirring up a lot of sand. I put a pump in with a filter sock attacked, that really did a great job getting the junk out and cleaning the water.

I ordered 150 lbs of dry rock from reefcleaners.com. When the first batch arrived in October, I put 3 big pieces in my frag tank to seed. You can see them in there, the ones that are nice and green.

What better way to make the start of the cycle than taking the kids to see Scuba Santa?

Christmas Eve I finished up the rock work (minus a few tweaks of course). Most of it locked together really well, and what didn’t got zip tied together.

Still getting water in there, slowly… About 40g a day. I haven’t even started the plumbing at this point, but I wanted to get the cycle underway. Tank held 125 gallons with the water level about an inch below the overflows.

Cycle went faster than expected. Ammonia spike after 4 or 5 days, down to 0 by day 7-8. Nitrites at 0 a day after that, and Nitrates started climbing. To be sure I added another shrimp after 2 weeks, and never even saw an ammonia spike from it.

With the cycle underway I order the first fish for the tank. A one-spot foxface and blue spot puffer. I QT all my fish, so figured they’d be ready around the same time the cycle completed. Sadly the puffer didn’t make it, but he was kind enough to die on the last day of Liveaquaria’s guarantee.

I saw the idea somewhere of using a PVC show pan to waterproof the inside of the stand. I thought that was a great idea, so I gave it a shot. I cut out the pattern. I also saw the idea of doubling over the liner at the openings. I used PVC Liner Cement and clamped it over. Worked really well to make the pan stiff enough to stand upright across the two openings in the back and the doors in the front.

It should hold almost 4" of water before getting to the wood stand or spilling onto the floor. Of course, that better never happen.

In another case of perfect timing, my CUC arrived the day I finished plumbing the first part of the sump. Sadly, I didn’t take too many pictures, I’ll have to do that tonight. My sump consists of three 20 gallon tanks connected together (because nothing larger would fit in the door opening.) The first one has my skimmer, baffles, media shelf, filter sponge and return pump. I got this up and running, as I said, just in time for the CUC. 5 weeks after the start of the cycle, here’s my Florida Fighting Conch chilling in the tank.

Wow, coming along nicely! How’s it feel to have water in the tank? hahaha

looks great, can’t wait to see it grown out.

WOW! I’m really impressed! That’s a very artistic coral wall set up for the tank. It’s going to look great with a bunch of acro’s and sinulara growing off it. Softies waving in the breeze. does that big pipe platform support in the sand bed have water flow also? or just for rock support?

Amazing! you even have a big screen live TV set for the kids to watch!

hey, i cant copy your picture to repost? you know the little guy looking at the fuge tank?

Very nice job on the tank build. ::thumbsup:: You are taking your time and doing it slowly and getting it right.

This tank is going to have a natural looking aquascape, something you would see at a city aquarium. Good luck with the entire project, it’s been a good read. :BEER
Thanks