24 Mixed Reef

This tank has been up and running since August 10th, 2009. It’s primary filtration is natural (live rock, live sand, mangroves and macro algae) with a little bit of help from a HOB for mechanical and a dash of activated carbon. I do 4-5 gallon water changes every other week, more if necessary.

Inhabitants (in order of introduction)

• 3 Nassarius Snails
  • 3 Orange Turbo Snails
  • 5 Nerite Snails
  • 8 Blue Leg Hermits
  • 1 Emerald Crab
  • 1 Sixline Wrasse
  • 1 Lawnmower Blenny
  • 1 Yellow Tang
  • 1 Cleaner Shrimp
  • 1 Azure Damsel
  • 1 Blue & Green Zoanthids
  • 1 Red Zoanthids
  • 1 White Pulsating Xenia
  • 1 Brown Xenia w/Mushrooms
  • 1 Kenya Tree
  • 1 SPS

when my pics come out like that, ill post my tank, lol…im just not good at it…yet…

what kind of lighting is on that tank?

looks like a great start. how about a fts (full tank shot)

[quote=“bz350, post:4, topic:2251”]
looks like a great start. how about a fts (full tank shot)[/quote]

haha, i was just waiting for someone to ask that.

The lighting on the tank is a 150 watt (15k ?) metal halide. My good Olympus camera is in storage still so I’ve been experimenting with two digital cameras that my parents own. They’re not bad cameras but not designed for this type of photography. I’m having issues with the camera auto-focusing on the glass and having a real difficult time getting natural lighting. These pics were taken with various lighting setups and shutter speeds on the cameras but nothing has been retouched aftewards.

I ran out of time taking these shots this evening. The lights went off at 8pm sharp while I was still taking photos. I’ll be sure to take some FT shots tomorrow and post them. I knew I was going to be in trouble for not taking them… haha!

i really have to know…is there anyone in DE that doesnt own that acro? >LOL<

I bought it at Premium Aquatics in Newark. $20 for the frag.

Does anyone have any pictures of it full grown? I’d love to see what it looks like! I wasn’t sure if it was acropora. The gentleman told me it was a monti but that confused us both a little because of the way it’s branching. I’m actually a novice when it comes to SPS. I’m hoping to have a few frags in this tank eventually.

I went through the pics I took and I did have one FT shot in there. It’s right before the light went out and you can see the White Xenia have already closed in anticipation.

I guess it could be a branching monti but i dont think so. Im almsot positive its an acro and if im not mistaken, its originally from a member named Mike Calvetti. The piece you bought is probably from a local member, maybe ken? It is without a doubt one of the easiest and fastest growing SPS i have every seen. I just got a chuckle because i think that everyone in the club has that acro >LOL<

[quote=“logans_daddy, post:9, topic:2251”]
It is without a doubt one of the easiest and fastest growing SPS i have every seen.[/quote]

yeah it is definitely from the same colony we fragged over at Tom$Annets 2 years ago. I lost almost everything in my tank crash this summer - this acro looke dead as a door nail - then the other day I noticed polyps glowing under the actinics again.

BTW, nice tank. Love the aquascaping. Very natural and dynamic.

[quote=“RCA, post:7, topic:2251”]
I bought it at Premium Aquatics in Newark. $20 for the frag.

Does anyone have any pictures of it full grown? I’d love to see what it looks like! I wasn’t sure if it was acropora. The gentleman told me it was a monti but that confused us both a little because of the way it’s branching. I’m actually a novice when it comes to SPS. I’m hoping to have a few frags in this tank eventually.[/quote]

Here you go Jason. Ask and you shall receive:

Looks sweet, where did you get those rather large zoa colonies

Thanks, Ellen! Not bad for my first colored sticks. Would you recommend any other easy, fast-growing acros, birdnests, staghorn or anything?

Marchingbandsjs, Both Zoa colonies were from DPA. One came from the $20 frag tank, the other was maybe $30 in the tank sitting next to it. The blue/green ones actually started out more of a blue/purple color. Under the Metal Halide lighting, they’ve turned this incredible turquoise color with almost a brown rim that the camera isn’t doing justice. They are really looking incredible.

HJack
Ellen, you have to get those pics to Ted to update the front page. The difference in your camera settings is night and day. Absolutely beautiful tank!!!
UN - HJack

RCA - The ORA green birdsnest is another DRC favorite that is floating around among members including both Ellen and myself and probably at least half a dozen other members. IMO, its another very easy, fast growing SPS. I also have a tricolor valida that is without a doubt the most prolific grower ive ever seen. Ive literally watched this coral grow over 2" in a months time. Generally, some of the SPS species that are considered easier than most are montis, birdsnests, pociloporas, and stylophoras. Of course, like everything in this hobby, there are exceptions. Typically, most acros are going to be more challenging and, IME, slow to grow but quick to decline. Trading for AC corals locally is a good place to start when trying corals for the first time. There are several people that have decent selection of SPS and attend regular meetings. You can always PM an individual and make arrangements to B/S/T before a meeting and exchange at the meetings.

I decided to take some updated pics of my 24 tonight. I didn’t realize it had been three weeks so I thought it’d be neat to try and recreate some of the previous pictures and display them as before and after shots.

I wasn’t sure until now if the coraline algae was growing but the pictures clearly show some healthy growth over the last three weeks. The hair algae has all but disappeared and the base rock is really coloring up nicely. I think I’ve had the acro for close to a month now and there’s definitely signs of growth on it. One of my mangroves hit a growth spurt this week and it looks like I’m about to get my first two leaves! Very excited about that. The red zoas are growing in number and spreading nicely now. The xenia have migrated several inches and have split repeatedly. The new additions to the tank are the Superman Mushrooms in the lower left. Thanks again to Chris and Barb for those! I also took a pic of one of my hitchhiker stars just for fun and added one other shot of the SPS Growth from a different angle.

Full Tank

SPS

Mangroves

Zoas

Zoas

Starfish

SPS Growth

A yellow tang in a 24g?

[quote=“icy1155, post:17, topic:2251”]
A yellow tang in a 24g?[/quote]

Don’t worry, I’m not insane. :stuck_out_tongue: He was added to the tank maybe six weeks ago when he wasn’t much bigger than a quarter. The tank was undergoing a massive filamentous algae bloom at the time and he helped keep it in check while the parameters stabilized. I have a 90 Gallon fish-only tank that will be his new home once he outgrows the 24. Some of his new tank mates at that point include a full-grown Picasso Trigger and cranky Tomato Clown so I’m delaying transferring him for as long as possible. He needs to be just a little bigger so they don’t bully him too much!

Corals look good Jason.

Ok, just checking ;D