420nm LEDs taking pre orders now...

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/true-violet/
I am ordering 12

what are you driving with

These are my first emiters, have not got the drivers or controller yet, but, since they are 3W 700MA they should not be to hard to figure out.

did you check out rapid led?

[quote=“dunk, post:4, topic:4740”]
did you check out rapid led?[/quote]

Rapid LED is awesome but I don’t think they have true violet yet 420 nm. I’m getting my heat sinks from them for sure 1.1x72 inch. There the only ones that have that length advertised.

yea for his drivers and heat sink rapid seemed real good im happy with them

Thats great. someones finally made a true 420nm LED. in time they will bump up the power too.

Anybody try these yet?

I wanted to but had a death in the family and no insurance which left me and one of my brothers paying out of pocket for services and burial, needless to say reefing budget put on hold for awhile.

Sorry for your loss

I saw on rapid led they now offer these.has anybody tryed them yet

I just emailed ledgroupbuy for information as I am going led over both of my current tanks. So hopefully I get some good info with products info back. I am looking forward to building my first led kits.

Keep us posted

So here is the email they sent me. I am not particular happy about them putting the most expensive leds on the list but I see its point. A few questions got missed so I will be emailing them again.
Lets see if we can help you out. They forgot my 420 for the 20long list to.

Keep in mind tank 1 is a 75g and tank 2 is a 20long

So the basic rule of thumb on DIY LED system is about 15-20 square inches of surface area per CREE XP series LED. For your first tank, you are looking at closer to 15, while the second tank closer to 20.

Tank 1:
18x 3UP LEDs
18x 3UP LED Optic
18x 420nm LED

This will give you a nice 14K+ look. You can then get some of our high end Inventroincs dimmbale drivers which work really well with an APEX controller.

Tank 2:
6x 3UP LEDs

This will be enough for softies

The 3UPs LEDs are here:3UP CREE XT-E Royal Blue XP-G Neutral White, they come in packs of 2

So as a update I have emailed them again for more information and plan on making a purchase sometime within the next 2 months.

Here is something to note though. I asked them why they did not recommend the 420nm leds for my 20g tank which atm is my softy dominated tank. Here is what they said

“Im not recommending True Violet for the smaller tank because you wanted to focus on growth. The Royal Blues will do the job for growth.”

This confuses me a little bit considering these corals take in both 453nm and 420nm so wouldn’t both be used for a growth setup?

At the moment I plan on basically making a setup like the AI sol but bigger for the 20g tank
Example: 16-18"x6-8" heat sink X=3up led P=420nm led

X X X
P P P
X X X

Now for the 75g tank they recommended driver wise
For the drivers, you can do the following:
40w 700mA driver - 18 XT-E Royal Blue
40w 700mA driver - 18 XT-E Royal Blue
25w 700mA driver - 9 NW
25w 700mA driver - 9nw
40w 700mA driver 12 True violet
They also recommended a 36"x6" heat sink I do not really like this setup because of the divider in the middle of the tank so if I were to divide this it would leave 9 3up leds to each side which just seams weird to have 9 So I am debating changing it to 10 on each side or keep it at 9 and have the 9th 3up closest to the divider. Any idea’s are welcomed on this setup as I can not make up my mind on the best strategy.
BTW just so others know the 3up comes only with a 40degree optic I have not found a 50/60degree optic yet for the cree’s

anyone?

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:16, topic:4740”]
anyone?[/quote]

If anyone means your asking about the optics. I got 80* optics from rapid led and they have 60* too

Personally I think we light our tanks too much. I overdid mine. I have vho and the LEDs 28 leds over a four foot 150g but 24 of the leds are on thr right of the tank so 2 feet it’s too much along with the vhos. I would do 2 strips over the 75 maybe 36 lights total and transitian over to them where the divider is just leave that part without bulbs and that area could be your lower light corals. If I did all LEDs I would have ten blues or violets to every one white just my opinion. The whites overpower the blues, And are relatively useless.

The led’s I am going to be using with be the cree XP-G 3up stars(each star has 3 leds- 1 natural white, 2 royal blue kinda like the AI SOL unit which has 1 nw,1 blue, 1 royal blue). I can only find the 40 degree optics for the 3 up led. The 420nm led’s already have a 60 degree optic.

Milad recommended 18 3 up leds with 18 lenses and 12 420nm leds(12 so I can cut back on drivers originally it was 18).

This stuff sounds too expensive to be playing trial and error with.

My head starts spinning when i imagine the time i’ll spend researching when i do my first led build verdict_in