A sincere thank you to all members that consisently contribute to the boards!

I want to sincerely thank everyone that contributes to the boards, especially some of the more heated topics. From the outside looking in, some threads may appear to be nothing more than arguments, but i have never viewed them that way. Ive always enjoyed the discussions/debates and have taken a lot away from them. As an example, as a direct result of threads on this board, i have made several changes in my life recently. We have talked about the environment, how it relates to our hobby, and what green means. Recently, i signed up for curbside single stream recyling. I also purchased reusable grocery bags that i will use at all stores, not just the grocery store. On a side not, if you decided to use reusuable bags, make sure you dont put your produce in plastic bags(like i did today), kind of defeats the purpose. In the spring i will sell my gas powered lawnmower and weedwhacker and purchase electric.

Ive done my homework, and i really dont want to argue whether or not these things make an impact. They do. They are far from perfect soloutions, but they do make a difference. My cynicism in part is one of the reasons that i haven taken these measures before.

In a large scale, i also plan to purchase the honda civic hybrid. The economy is keeping me from pulling the trigger right now, but im sure i will be trading in my car before 2010. Ive already downsized from a truck to a 24mpg hatchback over a year ago, which i thought was good, but its just not good enough. I also happen to drive by a townhouse in pikecreek the other day with solar. I had never even considered installing solar in my townhouse, but its something i may look into in the upcoming years. However, the only way it would be feasible is to role it into my mortgage with a refinancing which im not prepared to do in the curren tmarket.

This is just one of many things i have taken away from my discussions on the boards. The friendships and exchange of ideas is truly appreciated. Thank you!

Agreed on everything Logansdaddy said. Might be a good time to check your param’s etc…

Welp, no dice, just got back from the porcelain burial grounds.

Not sure, he looked healthy as far as I could tell, tomorrow would have been three weeks since getting the tang. I’m not ruling out that the tang wasn’t healthy, but he sure looked the part. Fed algae sheets every other day and there is a decent amount of HA around for him to eat, also ate the standard fish foods I fed, but obviously preferred picking the rocks and the sheets.
There are a few bits of dinoflagella in my tank that keep popping up, I don’t know if he ate some of this and was weakened.

It happened over night so I wonder if he was sleeping and sucked into it good and didn’t have the time to pull away. I’m not sure how strong your PHs are but this maxijet pulls a vortex of air from the surface of the water and its just about halfway down the tank (~10"). The bottom of the PH is on a rock so the exposed sides are pulling more water flow into them, whereas a PH out in the open (without rocks) would pull equally and less on all sides. The tang was laying on his side on the PH totally covering the left hand side, leaving on the right and top portions of the PH exposed.

Params:
SG 35 ppt
Nitrates read between 0-10 (lowest “color”) ppm by my test kit, this is a reading of No3-N so it is actually 4.4x of that reading for a pure “nitrate” reading.
Nitrites didnt test
Ammonia didnt test
ph didn’t test (because of alk) test kit isn’t very descriptive either
Alk dKH of 12-14 (I doubt low ph because of this)
Temp 78-79

Im using the 1600gph prop. My powerheads are about 4-6" below the surface, and i dont have anything close to what your describing. When i put my hand near the powerhead, i can feel a gentle pull, thats it. Like i said before, my cleaner shrimp will walk on the shroud when it is operating full flow. Thats not exactly what i consider deadly.

Im not sure if you read my recent post concerning parameters in new tanks in regards to harder to keep livestock, but i would guess there is more to it than parameters. People often underestimate the challenge of keeping tangs.

BTW, im really sorry to hear about the fish.

I agree with Shawn, I would be surprised if a power head would take out a fish. I use the mod kits as well even have one on my little 40breeder(fishless frag tank). New fish can seem fine for weeks sometimes and still die do to illness which took over during the stress of transfer. Marine velvet often takes out fish suddenly with little outward signs. Flukes and fish lice also can be practically invisible to the human eye, but still be causing harm to the fish. Mystery fish deaths are sadly often a part of the hobby when you are first starting off.

If the power head pulls a vortex of air try spinning the mod kit around until the solid black plastic is facing up. You can have the power head pretty close to the surface with out pulling in any air if you do this. Having the power head closer to the top it will also push more water then it would deeper in the tank.

“ph didn’t test (because of alk) test kit isn’t very descriptive either”
You might consider investing in a pH meter sometime soon to keep an eye on things.

“Temp 78-79” I personally would keep it a little higher, especially this time of year as temps can drop quickly, but this in no means would have harmed the fish.

Sorry to hear about the fish loss.

edited to be in the right Board and Thread

[quote=“Gordonious, post:5, topic:962”]
I agree with Shawn, I would be surprised if a power head would take out a fish. I use the mod kits as well even have one on my little 40breeder(fishless frag tank). New fish can seem fine for weeks sometimes and still die do to illness which took over during the stress of transfer. Marine velvet often takes out fish suddenly with little outward signs. Flukes and fish lice also can be practically invisible to the human eye, but still be causing harm to the fish. Mystery fish deaths are sadly often a part of the hobby when you are first starting off.

If the power head pulls a vortex of air try spinning the mod kit around until the solid black plastic is facing up. You can have the power head pretty close to the surface with out pulling in any air if you do this. Having the power head closer to the top it will also push more water then it would deeper in the tank.

“ph didn’t test (because of alk) test kit isn’t very descriptive either”
You might consider investing in a pH meter sometime soon to keep an eye on things.

“Temp 78-79” I personally would keep it a little higher, especially this time of year as temps can drop quickly, but this in no means would have harmed the fish.

Sorry to hear about the fish loss. [/quote]

as one of the more recent members, i have to say that there’s a lot here that’s informative. and solar would be great, but they want about $50k to do our roof so we would cut our 120$/month bill by 60%. even with government help, the remaining 30k wouldn’t pay for itself until long after we’re dead. but we compost everything that’s possible. there are lots of simple things a person can do that help.

Wow, thats sounds very steep. Do you solicit mutiple bids?

A friend of mine switch to solar about a year ago. It was 30K and the government picked up 1/2 the tab. He roled it into his mortgage and the difference in his mortgage payment is less than his electric bill so he is actually saving money month to month. Did your estimate include a battery installation? Thats where it can get pricey from what ive heard. He doesnt store energy, but any excess energy produced spins his meter backwards. I know in some states the electric company is required to “buy back” excess energy, but im not sure if delaware is one of them. This is what he claims though, and i did see the device that delmarva installed at his meter. From what i understand, in Delware you simply earn credits, but im not 100% certain.

good steps indeed. as I begin to plan my future, i have been planning for options like the ones you mention as well. I think we have had a few discussions…

as possible projets in the mean time check out some of these products/sites too:

ive been kicking around buying some smaller solar systems to power my reef heaters, etc…
always looking for cool DIY ideas and interum projects till I can purchase a small farm.
Cheers
Eric

Shawn, I agree! (Hey for once we agree) I think everyone’s ‘arguments’ here are a great way to get good information out of everyone. Although our tempers flare a bit I think everyone is better for it.

Although I do drive a loud V-8 car, I have tuned it to get 18 mpg pretty constantly, granted not an economy/super environmentally friendly vehicle, but it’s the best I could do. The rest of the time my DD is a bike that gets 45 mpg.

Thanks guys.

Jon, not sure what you mean about the solid black plastic thing, I’ll take a look at it tomorrow.

[quote=“IanH, post:3, topic:962”]
Params:
SG 35 ppt
Nitrates read between 0-10 (lowest “color”) ppm by my test kit, this is a reading of No3-N so it is actually 4.4x of that reading for a pure “nitrate” reading.
Nitrites didnt test
Ammonia didnt test
ph didn’t test (because of alk) test kit isn’t very descriptive either
Alk dKH of 12-14 (I doubt low ph because of this)
Temp 78-79[/quote]

What you posted is okay, something to keep in mind is that when you have a fish die, testing nitrates is virtually pointless. Although most mature tanks quickly convert ammonia through the cycle stages, a peak is still very possible. Nitrates don’t kill fish, and under all but the most extreme conditions, they don’t really affect the immune system. If you have a (fish) incident and need to test your parameters, pH, SG, ammonia, and nitrites are key. Any possiblity of stray voltage issues? Do you have a GFI? I had a heater go a while back that gave me fits for a while. If everything else is up to par, you may just have to call it a sick fish. Velvet is bad stuff, or the parasites Jon mentioned could be present. Sorry about your loss.

ive been kicking around buying some smaller solar systems to power my reef heaters, etc...

Absolutely. I would be content if i could generate enough clean energy to simply run my tanks. I love the small farm idea. Its funny, ive always thought to myself that these are things i would do in the future, when i move into a new home. But ive given a lot of thought to the subject, and i really dont need a new home. A two story townhome is plenty large enough for my son and I. Not to mention that a big factor in our carbon footprint is the space we occupy. Americans think big. Its what we do. Ive been guilty of this for 30years. Ive always had big SUV’s, big houses, big motorcycles…you name it. I guess ive finally reached a level of maturity where ive finally realized I dont have to go big just becuase i can afford to. I dont need a BMW simply because i can afford one. Its what we do as americans. We live beyond our means, and buy things simply for the sake of status. Well, no more, not for me anyways.

By no means am i going to start making my own clothers out of hemp or start eating bean sprouts anytime soon. Nor do i want to be “green”. I just want to do my share and set an example for my four year old.

A couple of other small things ive started over the last couple of weeks. Im not a 100% yet because old habits die hard, but im getting there.

Ive stopped buying papertowels and napkins. Im only using cloth rags now. Ive stopped buying all ziplock/plastic baggies. Im using tupperwear containers for all storage. Im also not buying garbage bags anymore. Im going to put all of my raw garbage minus recyleabls into my can. My garbage guys might not love me, but they can suck it up since i gave them a nice christmas tip! Its one thing to recyle, but another to simply not consume for the sake of convience. Granted, im still going to buy my soda in cans(hate 2 liters) but i will recylce the cans. Im not going to become a nut, im just going to do the little things that are easy and make sense to me. One of the big projects this spring will be an organic garden with a hydroponic bed for leafy vegetables. I was going to start it last year but got overwhelmed with other projects. I want to terrace my tiny back yard and do 2 4X4 raised beds with a hyrdro bed on my balcony. I dont know if anyone one is familiar with “urban square foot” gardening, but its very interesting.

Shawn, I agree! (Hey for once we agree)
Ian, pal, that stings! I thought we agreed on most things! lOl
Nitrates don't kill fish, and under all but the most extreme conditions, they don't really affect the immune system.

I would be a little careful with the comment, but generally, Joe is right. I know a lot of the big FOWLR systems that have some of the fattest and healthiest fish you will ever see have nitrates in the 200+ range!

[quote=“logans_daddy, post:13, topic:962”]

Shawn, I agree! (Hey for once we agree)
Ian, pal, that stings! I thought we agreed on most things! lOl[/quote]

No way, that would be too boring

well, when a fish is stuck to a little maxi jet and cant shake off, the fish is already in a very weak state. it only takes a flick of the tail to swim away. but if you want to give them a chance to bounce off and try to survive, you can put a sponge filter on the MJ intake strainer. it really spreads the suction out. only dead fish might stick to it then.

been looking into hydro myself… havent heard of the garden you mentioned, but hydro is very interesting and seems to have many similarities to reefing. Ive been meaning to set up a small system myself lately, but now that we are in an apartment we dont have much space… figured i would start with an herb garden and see how it goes…

I agree about the scale issues in american lifestyles. American lifestlye has gotten way out of controll. if it wasnt for the government putting the economy on lfie support I think we would be in a great depression right now bacause of it. unfortunetely though, i think instead of a great depression we are facing a slow decline…we will see.

there are tons of things you can do with a town home, and if i was still in mine I would be putting projects in place. even a few small solar pannels to run some stuff around the house, higher efficiency products, and a solar hot water heater make a huge difference.

that being said, im really hoping a farmette can work. after the past few years ive had many of the realizations you mentioned, but for a wide variety of reasons, I really want to live a self sufficient lifestyle. I am hoping in the coming years to grow a high percentage of my own foods, have a root cellar, and just generrally to kick it old school amish style… except with electricity, indoor plumbing, and refridgeration :stuck_out_tongue:

i hear ya. i guess it my mind i have always said “i do something like that in the future, when i move into a bigger house”.

Lately, ive been asking myself, why do i need a bigger house? To put more stuff that i dont need? Im done with extremes. Ive been there, ive done that. I want my life to be about moderation. Im ready for something a little more meaningful and satisfying. The toys just dont do it anymore. Im not sure where it will lead to, but i know im firmly on the path. Who knows, maybe one day ill have a root cellar!!

The hyrdro bed i was looking into is very cool. Very cheap and DIY. Basically, you make a frame out of 2X4’s. You can use any flat surface as the bottom, ill be using my deck. An 8’ X4’ works best. You get yourself a pond liner or anything similar. Since strength isnt an issue, even a blue tarp should work. Line your frame. The depth should only be about 4-6". Buy yourself a piece of 8’X4’ foam from home depot or lowes, and some plastic nursery pots. Cut out holes in the foam spaced for what you want to grow, put your plants into the nursery pots then into the holes. The pots are tapered so that they rest in the holes with about 3/4 of the pot submerged beneath the foam. The foam floats on the water. This method allows the roots to stay constantly submerged regardless of rain or evaporation. Add your favorite organic food and your good to go! This is the method i want to use to grow different kinds of greens, mainly lettuces. Believe it or not, you can grow most greens almost year round in our climate. The are very resistant to the cold. As long as you can buffer the winds in the late fall and early winter as well as provide shade in the late summer, you can probably successfully grow lettuce 9-10 months out of the year in DE.

Another really cool thing i want to try is inverted 5 gallon buckets for tomatoes. You fill a 5gal lidded bucket with your favorite organic soil. Put the lid on and turn it over so the bottom is facing up. Cut out a small hole and plant your favorite juvenile tomatoe plant. Wait a 2-3 weeks until the roots take. Now you can hand the bucket upside right from a porch or whatever. The plant will grow inverted, towards the ground. You can now walk out outside and pick tomatoes like you would fruit from a tree. Also, this method will keep a lot of the ground dwelling pests away from your plants.

[quote=“logans_daddy, post:14, topic:962”]

Nitrates don't kill fish, and under all but the most extreme conditions, they don't really affect the immune system.

I would be a little careful with the comment, but generally, Joe is right. I know a lot of the big FOWLR systems that have some of the fattest and healthiest fish you will ever see have nitrates in the 200+ range![/quote]

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to start a debate there, I was just saying he would be better off checking nitrites and ammonia if he thought it was a chemistry issue.

As long as we’re on this path, has anyone looked into rooftop rain collection? One of the most serious detriments to the environment in our area is stormwater runoff sedimentation. I’ve considered it at my house for use in irrigation to our veggie garden, and I’ve seen really good use of it at the Kent Co Parks and Rec facilities.