Aquarium concepts

i had a bubbletip about 6" that my pair of maroons decided to host. they were so forceful that the nem withdrew into the rock it was attached to. maybe sebaes are more resistant to their hosting, but from experience, that can certainly happen.

My maroons were nasty also, they used to bite pieces of the anem off.  >::: Probably why I don't have them anymore.

[quote=“billrob71, post:42, topic:4480”]
My maroons were nasty also, they used to bite pieces of the anem off. >::: Probably why I don’t have them anymore.[/quote]

I have to watch my hermit crabs they will cut tentacles off. Doug at AC was saying that the maroon and sebae clowns can be sand movers anyone else have these problems?

I went to AC nice guy I remember Doug from Greenbank I sold him my convict blenny for store credit I also have him looking into mp40 and a mp20-40 upgrade, I sold a car so I got some money I can use for it and still be able to buy 2 other cars :slight_smile:

The tanks look like they are still cycling they are covered with the red algae on the bottoms. Doug said they have been cycling for 2 months now. He had a good selection of fish considering he only has that 1 row of sw tanks. I saw the blue jelly fish people were talking about 1 of them is brown now and not looking to happy. the live rock is gone but they are just blowing all over the place upside down in that tank. The blue jelly does look nice though.

To me the problem with “live phyto” is often that a good percentage of the package is not alive and is rotting as well. Just like getting all natural fruits and veggies and then cramming them into a jar with out preservatives… goes rotten fairly quickly.
I personally believe more important then adding live foods is having a chemically balanced aquarium with live rock… aka I have live foods in my tank. Worms, “pods”, shrimp, dusters, all produce in significant numbers often in what you could consider refugiums and provide live foods. They’re a lot cheaper then over the shelf products(or behind the counter at some LFS :wink: Total cost = properly taking care of your aquarium.

Man this thread a has shifted topics several times, lol.

I’ve debated really continuing propagating my anemones for a bit, but then I finally got a rose, got really waves going in the tank, and just recently I saw a CRAZY looking color morph of a quadricolor at The Frazer Zoo. Also falling back in low with my softy systems a bit more.
I have some nice video of my pink skunk hosting in my GBTA, but never had a chance to edit it yet and my gf said I needed to zoom out a bit so you don’t see the gross scales and details of the fish.

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:43, topic:4480”]
I saw the blue jelly fish people were talking about 1 of them is brown now and not looking to happy.[/quote]

That’s said to hear. That species can be found in different colors however these are geographical differences from what I read. A shift in the same specimen is not a good sign.

The tanks are “cycling” with live animals in them? Great to hear…

[quote=“Gordonious, post:44, topic:4480”]
The tanks are “cycling” with live animals in them? Great to hear…[/quote]
Doug said the tank is cycled. To me it does not look like it. The tanks could have done there nitrite/ammonia/nitrate cycle but with that many fish right away so much bio load. He was still setting up some FW feeder tanks but then again I think that is a tough thing to start out. You have all that down time of making no money and the store needs money to survive. To me it is to risky buying any live stock there so I will hold off.

I bought a small clarki clwon fish there 2 weekends ago, still doing well and eats everything I put in the tank including dried seaweed.

Yeah I bought a coral banded shrimp on the opening day and its doing great but I agree the tanks don’t look real great

Give him time and I think the store will progress into something we can all enjoy.

Update on Vortech pumps Doug’s supplier does not sell them so he will not be ordering or stocking at all for the moment. To many vendors gets confusing so he is sticking with his current guys.

Any updates on this store? I am going to check it out soon. Heard they had aussie tusks there!!!