Christmas fun......not!!!

Put our tree up last night and smelled something burning and then the breaker tripped. When the breaker tripped it took out the cable box. It was late so we decided to just turn it off and work on it tonight!!! This morning the tree fell over! Had to wait for Jeremy to get home from work in order to get it back up. I went to comcast to get a new box. When Jeremy got home we stood the tree back up and took the remaining ornaments off and some of the lights. Turned the tree back on no burning smell but the breaker tripped again!! This time taking out the TV. Jeremy figured out we had too much amps on one breaker. Not sure why its a problem this year. We have the same amount as previous 9 yrs. Oh and it may have took out the new cable box too!!! Cant win for losing!!! So over Christmas already!!

Sounds like you need a new electrican, or maybe one that knows whats he is doing… ::hitsthefan:: :BB) :FLUSH)

LMAO or one that just needs to get up off his ass!!

WOW, bad luck. Don’t fret though, Christmas is about more than just a decorated tree.

Thanks Bryant!! Not fretting any more. Tree is up and redecorated! Just a little ticked off about the tv! I feel a little better now that I looked up tvs of the same size we have and they dont cost no where near what we paid for ours when LED tvs first came out. Still sucks though to have to replace it over the power going out

Now jermey doesnt need a reason to get a bigger tv YahoO

lOl its big enough. its 46 in and the width of the living room isnt very big. Not much point in going to much bigger!

How big is the room? If it fits on the wall its perfect size! Bigger is always better

hmmm! in some cases it is. But if you get it too big and sit close to it they you cant view it properly! Its about 11 1/2 feet wide!

it’s most likely just an internal fuse or capacitors, what make and model.

what happens when you turn it on any lights at all on the power button, does it flash if so count the flashes

Samsung 7000. When you turn it on it just keeps making a clicking sound. No lights.

Oh WOW! I dont understand how tripping the breaker overloads the other things plugged into the circuit like the cable box and TV? they are just downstream loads. the breaker has the setting. IDK?

By coincidence, after my haircut today, I stopped in Best Buy and checked out their tvs. some real nice 55 inch 4K, ULTRA HI DEF new sets. for like $800-900? the guy there said comcast was upgrading a bunch of their programming to the higher def or 4K or something. verizon to follow? those pictures are so sharp, looking at a HD 1080 set makes you feel all fuzzy eyeball or something. real nice. the prices have come down from last year. and you can stand 2 feet away and no problem.

We cant figure out why it happened either. Jeremy talked to other electricians and they cant understand it either. I guess just one of those fluke things! I was looking on Best Buy’s website and the tvs have really come down in price! Right now we are using Jacob’s 32 in tv. Definitely a big change from our tv. Hopefully we either get it fixed soon or buy a new one. Probably leaning towards buying a new one.

you should be able to fix it for under 20 bucks

Frank does it make a difference if the tv is LED and not LCD?

Merry xmas mom and dad (dad)

perhaps there’s some extra load on the circuit somewhere else. another room, same circuit? or a frequency feedback from your lights or something? the capacitor sounds like a good weak point to check. dang Hudz, you prove again, you can find anything with a google. my LCD had a power supply failure some years ago. wouldnt start up. I got it fixed at CB JOES for a reasonable fee. up here, behind the airport on churchmans road.

it’s still a lcd, led is just the backlight the display panel is still lcd with the exception of OLED.

[quote=“kaptken, post:17, topic:8424”]
perhaps there’s some extra load on the circuit somewhere else. another room, same circuit? or a frequency feedback from your lights or something? the capacitor sounds like a good weak point to check. dang Hudz, you prove again, you can find anything with a google. my LCD had a power supply failure some years ago. wouldnt start up. I got it fixed at CB JOES for a reasonable fee. up here, behind the airport on churchmans road. [/quote]

Frequency feedback is what Jeremy came up with also. He figured out what amps it was using and it was too much but its the same as it has been for the last 9 yrs. IDK!! Crazy! We called Samsung and they had some guy call us and said it would $50 for him to come here (can’t take it to him we asked) and probably close to $200 to fix it. For that price I will just buy a new one!

[quote=“Hudzon, post:18, topic:8424”]
it’s still a lcd, led is just the backlight the display panel is still lcd with the exception of OLED.[/quote]

OK Thats what I thought. After I looked at your links and it said lcd i started googling and it all kept saying lcd instead of led. Jeremy looked through your links and checked the capicitors and said he cant see where they are bad. that was late last night. So we will check it out again tonight when he gets home.