diy led begins

this is the entire kit the dip can is for size comparison lol

a close up of led’s these are all royal blue cree xp’s will be soldering and putting it together tomorrow

Looks good. How are your soldering chops

no soldering. the kodiak chaw keeps the lights in place! PBJ!

well i can braze weld and solder plumbing we will see how soldering goes lol. i actually think i’ll be good i watched a few tinning videos and had a headlamp with a cree led, the wire broke off and i soldered it back on, used the procedure from the vid and was very easy. I also got a 45w pen type iron it works great

Looks like piece of cake and fun project.

looks like a piece of cake i hope it is and fun yes can’t wait to start i’m still waiting on my dimming cable so monday may actually have it running

Cool, Tim. LMK when you’re done. I know you don’t need help with it, but if you do LMK.

Good luck big guy looks like it’s not to bad to put together. May look into couple of those kits for mine.

Could def use ideas for mounting

Heat sink can be drilled and led’s screwed to it but most I’ve seen are epoxied onto the heat sink

Yea they said the thermal paste hold it on. And that’s how you glue the optics on I did 80* optics for full coverage

Sweet Tim, good luck with the build!

I think with that narrow heat sink glue them would be the best way to go.

Sweet ::thumbsup:: thats what i call fun! where did you get everything? happy so far?

got it done it was fun! my soldering looks good can’t believe it its completely put together now need to get my light dimming cable (hopefully tomorrow). Hook it up put it above the tank and program it i hope i don’t need to use the outlets on the apex from what i’ve read it can stay powered the dimming cable will shut it down. pics in a few minutes

leds secured with optics just mix the thermal paste with epoxy and apply to heat sink, I cleaned each heat sink for best heat transfer.

the two wired up, tin the pos. and neg. pads and wires, a quick touch with a 45w pen type solder iron and a great strong conn.

a close up of the led’s tested each one with 3v, by a battery tester supplied with the kit

very close up of single led and a look at the solder joint, again I have to wait until the dimming cable for the apex gets here to test then have to adjust the maximum amps supplied to each string, by a setting in the driver.

IMG_2980_2.JPG