doubled volume.... my new 180 setup

Perhaps instead of a Moorish idol, you could go for a longfin bannerfish? They look quite similar, and are fairly reef safe from what I have read.

i know… just don’t carry the elegance of the idol… time for some new shots i guess. if i get time tonight i will get some more. think i am finally happy with the aquascape. (would look REALLY good with some hairy shrooms… lolol) :BEER

here they r.

just for comparison really… did get a sohal tang, and a magnificent foxface. the latter was extremely camera shy, i will have to out wait him!!! lol

just finishing a battle with cyno. some of the little frags i just posted for growth comp. and of course i have always been partial to my euphyllia. i have 3 types so far. and a poor single hairy mushroom…

[quote=“fishguy9, post:22, topic:1565”]
(would look REALLY good with some hairy shrooms… lolol) [/quote]

[quote=“fishguy9, post:23, topic:1565”]
and a poor single hairy mushroom…[/quote]

Dont worry, you’ll get your hairy shrooms :stuck_out_tongue: I cut one last night and I am going to do another 5 or so tonight.

YahoO (just giving u a hard time really, i am in no hurry) Saint:)

Loving the sohal, hopefully he doesn’t get too aggressive with you. I am tempted to get one for my 7’ 210g but fear its way to small for him. Might wait until I upgrade.

Try placing some nori on a small rock with a rubberband, to get the Naso tang to eat. Also it is great for all your fish.

Guess I was too tempted as I now have a 6" sohal in my 210g haha. Hows everything going?

so far, pretty good. the cyano is gone altogether. tangs seem happy. and corals r growing, except one piece of octo frogspawn i got… too much water flow, so i had to move him a little. seems pretty happy now tho. sohals r my favorite. hardy AND beautiful. i wanna see pics of your big one… i didnt know u had a 210!!!

I don’t know how you get pics of your sohal! Mine never stops moving! Yeah, my 210g is 84x24x24, just a foot longer than a 180g. Its my aggressive setup, have a few corals in there, whatever the angels don’t eat, I just bring over frags from my 120g reef.

been awhile, so i figured i was due for an update. switched my sump over to a 75 gal tank. much needed room!!! added a small refugium with light. (approx 12" x 18" chamber in the sump) some new stock, and a few in and outs that i missed along the way. the octo frogspawn was hosted by 2 flatworms that were eating it up. so what i thought was dying due to flow issues was actually lunch. removed it altogether, for insurance purposes, and havent seen anymore elsewhere in the tank so far. added a desjardini sailfin, orange shoulder, magnificent foxface, couple gobies and a couple anthias. had some clown issues, and now i have none! the original perc’s did NOT like the marroon i got from icy. so they went bye bye. then, the marroon didnt like the 3 big tangs! unfortunately, she had to go too. guess i should of just left the 2 percs alone and been happy!! lol think i am gonna try to get 2 true percs and be done with it. anyhow, here’s some new pics!!!

still got a little cyano…

tangs never hold still!!! icy’s mushrooms, anemone, and red polyp colony

i think i need to swap out the 2 10k pc’s in my hood for 50/50’s or maybe even pure actinics. 3 halides r 12k, 12k, and 18k… then 4 pc’s r 2 actinic and 2 10k… the tank is a little too white. and the camera makes it look really yellow!!! (prolly just need to adjust the camera!! lol)

Nice looking tank!

Is that a juv. Queen Angel in the last pic? And is that 6 tangs? With a Sohal no less?

Hows that working out for you? Do you think your going to be able to keep them longterm, or are you just “borrowing” them from the store? ;D

queen? yes. a little smaller than i hoped, but holding its own. and indeed 6 tangs. my wife is a tang FREAK!!! i didnt know if they would work or not. so far so good. and when i get to size issues, i have a “list” of sorts that will move the bottom of the list out first. but above all, the queen stays! always kind of been a dream fish of mine, just never had the room for it b4 the 180. the sohal and desjardini pretty much stay. i think the yellow will prolly come out first. then the sailfin. then the naso or the shoulder. not real sure yet. of course mom has some streamer blonde naso’s in… really thinking of doing a swap! had a hard time getting blondes for awhile and the nasos came in nice 2 months ago or so. i think i got frag happy in a big tank. i have a lot of little pieces and it really looks funny in this tank. prolly start shopping for some bigger stuff here soon. other than that, im pretty happy with the progression. tube worms went wild on everything in the tank. must be millions of them on the glass/rocks/etc. and the coraline has kicked off well for being a young tank. what r your thoughts on the blue/white ratio in lighting in general??? always a well debated topic

what r your thoughts on the blue/white ratio in lighting in general??? always a well debated topic

it shouldnt be. everyones tastes are different and thats what it comes down to. people can quote tech specs all day long about lighting, but it comes down to two thing IMO: do you like the way it looks? are you happy with your coral growth? if the answer to both questions is yes, then there is no debate ;D

im with you on the queen. its one of my dreamfish as well and i plan on getting one for my 265g after a lot of thought and still have some reservations. ive pretty much planned the entire tank around keeping two large angels and i still feel like im pushing my luck even in a 265g. i really think your going to have a hard time keeping a queen or a sohal in a 180g longterm, let alone both. anything can work short term, but there are VERY few sucess stories with keeping these two fish without problems even in the largest tanks. its not a matter if they become aggressive, its a matter of when. i think you might have a little better luck with the queen, but the sohals are absolutely brutal. one of my favorite tangs, but i didnt consider for a moment trying to keep one. luckily though, you have an out if things go bad.

EVERYONE has an out… (all lfs’s take trade in’s dont they?) i have a buddy down in greenwood that has 4 LARGE tangs that he kept in a 150 along with a good size foxface. the sohal ruled the tank, but everyone was happy and healthy. he actually took down the 150 and put all of them into a 75! not that i would EVER recommend this, but they r actually doing fine! not nearly enough room imo, but the aggression doesnt seem to be posing a problem. (which is the point i am trying to make) but i know all too well that it is very much individual specific, as was shown with my clownfish battles. i guess the future shall tell the tale. i am truly hoping to keep a choice few together for the long haul!

Tank is looking great fishguy, can’t wait till it fills in. Love some of those tangs.

Nice looking tank, you have quite the bioload! I am shocked some of those tangs get along, especially the two salfins. The salfins, sohal, naso, orange shoulder and queen angel will all outgrow a 180g unfortunately. So start planning the upgrade! haha. How is the queen with your corals? Mine leaves my kenya and shrooms alone, for now. I have been noticing the kenya disappearing though, but my queen (and french) are 5-6" and thats when they become destructive. I don’t plan on having any corals because I will be adding my passer angel and getting a new CXI emperor (last one broke the shipping bag and didn’t make it :-(" ).

but the aggression doesnt seem to be posing a problem. (which is the point i am trying to make) but i know all too well that it is very much individual specific

i dont want to continue to hijack your thread and i certainly dont wont to be argumentative. i wish you the best with keeping the fish. if you or your friend are able to keep a sohal longterm in tanks that small it will be a very rare accomplishment and one you should be proud of.

but my queen (and french) are 5-6" and thats when they become destructive. I don't plan on having any corals because I will be adding my passer angel and getting a new CXI emperor (last one broke the shipping bag and didn't make it ).

are all 4 angels going to be in your 220? i thought i was ballsy trying a queen and emperator together, i cant even imagine throwing a passer into the mix. what else are you going to keep besides the angels?

[quote=“logans_daddy, post:38, topic:1565”]

but the aggression doesnt seem to be posing a problem. (which is the point i am trying to make) but i know all too well that it is very much individual specific

i dont want to continue to hijack your thread and i certainly dont wont to be argumentative. i wish you the best with keeping the fish. if you or your friend are able to keep a sohal longterm in tanks that small it will be a very rare accomplishment and one you should be proud of.[/quote]
not at all!!! i love the input man! but like i said, i know too well it can be individual specific… meaning, just because he did it doesnt mean everyone can. i am hoping ;D. but would never ever try to keep them after they r 10" long in a 4’ tank.

[quote=“DamnPepShrimp, post:37, topic:1565”]
Nice looking tank, you have quite the bioload! I am shocked some of those tangs get along, especially the two salfins. The salfins, sohal, naso, orange shoulder and queen angel will all outgrow a 180g unfortunately.[/quote]

i would of thought so too, but the nitrates never even come close to breaching 5ppm. and the tang thing has been trial and error. a little chasing here or there, but no damage at all. im not so sure that they will ALL outgrow a 180. u might be a little over estimated on some of these guys. sailfins reach 15 in max, hardly oversized in a 180. same with the sohal, orange shoulder, and naso. the naso getting the largest at around 18" should have no problem housed in a 180 gal tank. (as well with the queen, around 18" iirc) i know they wont ALL be able to house in this tank full grown, but no single fish in the tank right now will outgrow it by far. i have 225 gal of volume and a 6’ tank…
and u r planning 4 large angels in a 265???