DRC BBQ 2009/Eating meat

[quote=“Ento_Reefer, post:160, topic:1913”]
Actually you might be surprised what human waste is used for.[/quote]

liberals?

Hmmmm…for the sake of any poor soul actually attempting to follow this thread i wont even comment.

i’ll sum it up;

1. jon’s place was great and him and steph had a great set up and it was an A+ BBQ

2. the kids had alot of fun together

3. we need to all join the farmhouse.

4. Ians poo pizza was amazing

5. cow is tasty, others dont think so but use cow’s as “ro/di units” for their green beans

6. cows are deadly, iran’s uranium enrichment is safe

7. jon needs a DT!

8. my trucks MPG is 6.7 so i outweigh all of your prius’s

9. Astronomers Gear Up for Historic Asteroid Pass in 2029 | Space

10. the sun will explode someday.

… perfect…

at some point jon, u just gotta give up on a topic. and this one, sir, is lost. let it be jon… just let it be.
verdict_in

I think its a healthy metamorphosis of the grand barbecue thread. The fact that everyone has some input on how certain aspects of our food supply and culture effect the environment, and ultimately the reefs our critters come from is a good thing. We are seeing how everything we do as individuals seems insignificant, but multiplied by 6.7 billion and we are talking a serious dung pile here.

Yup, De. is a chakaboom state. we raise lots of chickens and eggs. and they all make little droppings saturated in ammonia, and nitrates, which the chicken ranchers pawn off onto the soy and corn farmers for fertilizer for their fields. but there is much more than the crops and land can absorb, so the rest runs off into the bay with rain. ergo, bad algae, poor fish and crab hatch due to water quality. the higher up the food chain we dine at, the more waste that was produced to get our daily calories. and the more dumped into the environment.

On the other hand, have you ever noticed that most cities are on or near rivers or lakes? they all need water. and they all build their water intake structures on the upstream end of town, and their sewage disposal plants on the down stream side of town. well if you have a long river with 50 towns on it only a few miles apart, how does the water taste way down stream? like Wilmington, or Philadelphia? and all those streams and rivers end up in the bays and oceans at their ends. More soup than water by then.

yes, its the power of large numbers doing small things. for the good or the bad. My Grand Father would grow and can all the veggies he needed for the year from a 40 x 40 foot garden. He would can about 200 quarts of stuff each summer for him and and Uncle or two that lived there now and then. a deer or two in hunting season, some rabbit, squirrel and fishing provided a good chunk of meat, and only bought a few steaks and chicken at the market to round out the menu. dessert was often collected from the woods, wild berries, nuts, and fruit for baking. He made the best dinners. even baked a lot of the bread. and water from the spring well was as sweet as you have ever tasted. he used no fertilizer other than mulch from the garden waste and leaves and grass clippings. the soil was the richests i have ever seen. built up from years of composting. you couldn’t help but grow good food in it.

Unfortunately , a rural lifestyle few of us will ever know. just not enough wilderness to go around anymore. and 90% of us now live in cities. dependant on the industrial food chain. so we eat the mass produced factory food., bummer. and we are the worse off for it. so moving back a little to a bit less meat, and more of the veggies and grains will help us and the environment. when multiplied by 6.7 billion.

Hey, has anyone ever gone out in the fall around here to collect wild nuts for baking sweet nut roll? I got my Grand dads and my Moms recipe for a great nut roll. We can collect Black walnuts, hickory nuts, and beechnuts in many parks and along farm hedge rows. its almost time right now.

now we’re in the lounge LIZARDS. it’s all a freakin conspiracy to make me eat lizards. ignore the iguanas, care for the chameleons, don’t annoy the anoles, maintain the monitors, greet the geckos, kiss the komodos.

Hey Ken,

Your pretty cool! I work with a fellow that collects all kinds of wild growing foods. He loves to eat the new shoots of green briar in the spring and he even eats the acorns, bitter tasting as they are. I would love to try some of that sweet nut roll.