DRC BBQ 2009/Eating meat

[quote=“moliken, post:139, topic:1913”]
we are over-harvesting, but just b/c you can’t have perfection shouldn’t mean you need to ignore a better solution. some vegetarians advocate that carnivores have one meatless day a week. man would that make a huge difference! imagine just 1 day outta 7. PoM[/quote]

a better solution? by what definition? by who’s standards? what metrics are you citing?

I like meat AND veggies … you eat only veggies …

Can we just leave it at that and be done with it … without all the “my way is better than your way” crap?

just think, without our first ancestors who ate marrow from a lions kill, or similar, the human brain would have lacked the proteins to even comprehend the first hand axe that evolved into you typing on your computer to complain about meat eaters. (meats protein and ONLY with meats proteins did the human brain evolve to what it is now, now that just cant be a bad thing can it?)

bottom line, there are 6 billion people on earth, we gotta eat something and plants only is a step backwards. you provide the moon cows i’ll eat them, till then im having steak weekly.

ps i still want to know what makes the veggie dogs brown!

[quote=“ronert, post:141, topic:1913”]

[quote=“moliken, post:139, topic:1913”]
we are over-harvesting, but just b/c you can’t have perfection shouldn’t mean you need to ignore a better solution. some vegetarians advocate that carnivores have one meatless day a week. man would that make a huge difference! imagine just 1 day outta 7. PoM[/quote]

a better solution? by what definition? by who’s standards? what metrics are you citing?

I like meat AND veggies … you eat only veggies …

Can we just leave it at that and be done with it … without all the “my way is better than your way” crap?[/quote]

I don’t think anyone is doing any ‘my way is better than yours’…

[quote=“TimH07, post:142, topic:1913”]
just think, without our first ancestors who ate marrow from a lions kill, or similar, the human brain would have lacked the proteins to even comprehend the first hand axe that evolved into you typing on your computer to complain about meat eaters. (meats protein and ONLY with meats proteins did the human brain evolve to what it is now, now that just cant be a bad thing can it?)

bottom line, there are 6 billion people on earth, we gotta eat something and plants only is a step backwards. you provide the moon cows i’ll eat them, till then im having steak weekly.

ps i still want to know what makes the veggie dogs brown![/quote]

Very true, meat and the carnivore lifestyle is what provided early man the necessary calories (not just protein) for the brain to evolve and learn as it has.

Never had a ‘veggie’ w/e but wouldn’t mind trying one!

bottom line, there are 6 billion people on earth, we gotta eat something and plants only is a step backwards
not true
but just b/c you can't have perfection shouldn't mean you need to ignore a better solution. some vegetarians advocate
not necessarily true
I like meat AND veggies ... you eat only veggies ...
on the right track

edit: Warning, i did not proofread, spellcheck, or make any effort whatsoever to be gramatically correct. And, after glancing at this post im simply to lazy to go back through to proofread ;D*

ive avoided this hijack because most members know my opinions on the subject, but its gotten so interesting i just cant help myself ;D

personally, i dont see it as carnivore vs vegetarian but more about sustainability. personally, im a fairly active moderate left eco-geek but i typically find myself at odds with sterotypical, leftwing, hippie vegetarian types(moliken by no means am i referring to you). As some people have pointed out, agriculture is FAR from being easier on the planet than livestock rearing. Furthermore, agriculture is a much more significant threat to natural ecosytems(i.e, rainforests) due to deforestization and fertilizer in a lot of countries than livestock. Thats not my opinion, its fact. However, there are far more sustainabile, low impact solutions available for agriculture than livestock. Long story short, becoming a vegetarian in most scenarios has very little impacton our bodies or out planet.

From a sustainibility and environmental POV, eating processed non-meat products is very little different than eating meat. Its more fad and image related than anything. Next time your at the grocery store take a look at some of the vegetarian selections(black bean burgers are my favorite). To compensate for lack of taste and to appeal to a broader demographic a LOT of garbage is added including a TON of sodium. That doesnt mean there isnt healthy processed vegetarian options, it just means that a lot arent healthy. Next, most of the things that make vegetables good are no longer present after cooking and processing and a lot of the “good stuff” is fortified and not naturally occuring. Furthermore, the FDA does not require companies to distinguish so when you buy something with cooked carrots and look at the nutritional facts and see beta caroten chances are its added during the processing and not from the carrots directly. In short, to gain the most benefit from consuming fruits and vegetables you need to eat moderate amounts of raw, organic vegetables which lead to another problem. Until consumers are willing to put their money where their mouth is and pay premium prices for organic foods then the planet will continue to pay. Eating vegetables doesnt make anything better. Planting a sustainable organic vegetable garden or purchasing from a local organic vegetable gardener will make a difference. There are right ways to do things and easy ways which are almost always cheaper. Generally, Americans will always choose the cheaper, easier way. Very few people will pay twice the amount of money for an organic apple thats half the size and twice as ugly as its fertilized brother.

A well rounded, moderate diet is healthier than a vegetarian diet. Again, not my opinion, but fact. There are almost 0 people that eat an entirely organic vegetable diet without needing to take some form of vitamin and mineral supplement. Its because its almost impossible to consume everything the body needs in the amount it needs from just vegetables. When you take into effect the seasons and which fruits and vegetables you would require that you could not attain without having them transported halfway across the world and the effect on the planet to transport vegetabls its a pretty dim option. Being a vegetarian, or worse a vegan, is 99% image and human ego and very little more. Also, being a vegetarian and not eating organic is almost an oxymoron IMO. We are omnivores by nature and always have been. Before the industrial age the human diet was influenced by two things: geography and opportunity. There never have been and never will be an absolute. In short, if someone were to only eat organic, non-meat food items that have minimum impact on the environment it would be VERY difficult and VERY expensive. If someone can/does then you have my respect and my admiration and you truly are making a difference.

For the rest of us, moderation is key. Do small things that truly make a difference for your body and your planet. Taking care of our bodies is easy. Cutback on foods that we know our bad. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Eat the correct proportions. Exercise. Its common sense, we all know it. The planet is a little more difficult. Its very hard to move a mountain. Do the little things. Here are some of the little things i do. I drive a hybrid. I maximize my driving by not making individual trips. I recyle. I dont buy or use papertowels ever. I dont use any plastic bags. I use storage containers for food, sons lunch, etc, reuseable at stores and put raw garbage in my can which isnt as bad as you think if you utilize your garbage disposle for organics. When i make home improvements or replace appliances i spend the extra money for efficient models. Replaced all my incandacents bulbs with power compacts. Bought an electric mower and sold all my gas powered tools. I avoid buying individual serving food and drink items and instead buy larger containers and use reuseable containers for portion control. I eat turkey instead of redmeat most of the time. I buy organic when it makes sense for me.

The reality is this. These things do make a difference. There are so many people with uninformed opinions and SO much propaganda from both sides its silly. The truth is somewhere in between. Ill give two common examples of bogus information from both sides. Switching from small two cycle gas engines to electric DOES make a difference even though they still require electricy which may come from buring fossile fuels. Anyone that says the effect of getting the electricy from fossil fuels to charge a battery negates the effect of using electric vs gas is just plain wrong and misinformed. On the other hand, recycling is not always better. There are instances where the CO2 giving off from simply burning garbage for energy is less than the amount of CO2 given off from the recycling process. Recyling should be more about reusing and protecting our natural rescourse(i.e trees) and not for relieving our guilt. Im not perfect. If i was i wouldnt be on this forum becuase i wouldnt be wasting an insane amount of electricty on fish lights and wasting a ridiculous amount of water on RODI. Sometimes i do what i know is wrong out of convience(can anyone say styrofoam take out containers!). It bothers me a lot sometimes, but i cope with it by doing other things and have intentions to make things even better when my finances allow. Everyone, especially parents, needs to do their part. Set an example for the next generation. Make the world a little better. Dont be a cynic and give a million excuses why you think making an effort doesnt matter. Dont be a hippocrit and preach what you dont practice. If everyone found a couple of little things that they could change to lessen the impact on our planet the cumulative effect would be VERY significant. Do something. On a sidenote, ive brought it up before and i know others have been interested, but i personally feel that this club is perfectly situated to organize events and programs that could give back to the planet and community. I know their is a percentae of hobbyists that are D-bags and care very little about the planet, environment, or their own animals but i think most of us do care or we wouldnt be in this hobby. Im not preaching, its not my style, but if i can elighten one person or move one person to change then ive made a difference.

Ok, my PSA is over and I will now accept my award for longest post ever ;D

Great post Shawn. You brought up some interesting points. You got my congrats on the longest post ever. I din’t know you drive a hybrid, which one?

[quote=“logans_daddy, post:144, topic:1913”]
ive avoided this hijack because most members know my opinions on the subject, but its gotten so interesting i just cant help myself ;D

personally, i dont see it as carnivore vs vegetarian but more about sustainability. personally, im a fairly active moderate left eco-geek but i typically find myself at odds with sterotypical, leftwing, hippie vegetarian types(moliken by no means am i referring to you). As some people have pointed out, agriculture is FAR from being easier on the planet than livestock rearing. Furthermore, agriculture is a much more significant threat to natural ecosytems(i.e, rainforests) due to deforestization and fertilizer in a lot of countries than livestock. Thats not my opinion, its fact. However, there are far more sustainabile, low impact solutions available for agriculture than livestock. Long story short, becoming a vegetarian in most scenarios has very little impacton our bodies or out planet.

From a sustainibility and environmental POV, eating processed non-meat products is very little different than eating meat. Its more fad and image related than anything. Next time your at the grocery store take a look at some of the vegetarian selections(black bean burgers are my favorite). To compensate for lack of taste and to appeal to a broader demographic a LOT of garbage is added including a TON of sodium. That doesnt mean there isnt healthy processed vegetarian options, it just means that a lot arent healthy. Next, most of the things that make vegetables good are no longer present after cooking and processing and a lot of the “good stuff” is fortified and not naturally occuring. Furthermore, the FDA does not require companies to distinguish so when you buy something with cooked carrots and look at the nutritional facts and see beta caroten chances are its added during the processing and not from the carrots directly. In short, to gain the most benefit from consuming fruits and vegetables you need to eat moderate amounts of raw, organic vegetables which lead to another problem. Until consumers are willing to put their money where their mouth is and pay premium prices for organic foods then the planet will continue to pay. Eating vegetables doesnt make anything better. Planting a sustainable organic vegetable garden or purchasing from a local organic vegetable gardener will make a difference. There are right ways to do things and easy ways which are almost always cheaper. Generally, Americans will always choose the cheaper, easier way. Very few people will pay twice the amount of money for an organic apple thats half the size and twice as ugly as its fertilized brother.

A well rounded, moderate diet is healthier than a vegetarian diet. Again, not my opinion, but fact. There are almost 0 people that eat an entirely organic vegetable diet without needing to take some form of vitamin and mineral supplement. Its because its almost impossible to consume everything the body needs in the amount it needs from just vegetables. When you take into effect the seasons and which fruits and vegetables you would require that you could not attain without having them transported halfway across the world and the effect on the planet to transport vegetabls its a pretty dim option. Being a vegetarian, or worse a vegan, is 99% image and human ego and very little more. Also, being a vegetarian and not eating organic is almost an oxymoron IMO. We are omnivores by nature and always have been. Before the industrial age the human diet was influenced by two things: geography and opportunity. There never have been and never will be an absolute. In short, if someone were to only eat organic, non-meat food items that have minimum impact on the environment it would be VERY difficult and VERY expensive. If someone can/does then you have my respect and my admiration and you truly are making a difference.

For the rest of us, moderation is key. Do small things that truly make a difference for your body and your planet. Taking care of our bodies is easy. Cutback on foods that we know our bad. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Eat the correct proportions. Exercise. Its common sense, we all know it. The planet is a little more difficult. Its very hard to move a mountain. Do the little things. Here are some of the little things i do. I drive a hybrid. I maximize my driving by not making individual trips. I recyle. I dont buy or use papertowels ever. I dont use any plastic bags. I use storage containers for food, sons lunch, etc, reuseable at stores and put raw garbage in my can which isnt as bad as you think if you utilize your garbage disposle for organics. When i make home improvements or replace appliances i spend the extra money for efficient models. Replaced all my incandacents bulbs with power compacts. Bought an electric mower and sold all my gas powered tools. I avoid buying individual serving food and drink items and instead buy larger containers and use reuseable containers for portion control. I eat turkey instead of redmeat most of the time. I buy organic when it makes sense for me.

The reality is this. These things do make a difference. There are so many people with uninformed opinions and SO much propaganda from both sides its silly. The truth is somewhere in between. Ill give two common examples of bogus information from both sides. Switching from small two cycle gas engines to electric DOES make a difference even though they still require electricy which may come from buring fossile fuels. Anyone that says the effect of getting the electricy from fossil fuels to charge a battery negates the effect of using electric vs gas is just plain wrong and misinformed. On the other hand, recycling is not always better. There are instances where the CO2 giving off from simply burning garbage for energy is less than the amount of CO2 given off from the recycling process. Recyling should be more about reusing and protecting our natural rescourse(i.e trees) and not for relieving our guilt. Im not perfect. If i was i wouldnt be on this forum becuase i wouldnt be wasting an insane amount of electricty on fish lights and wasting a ridiculous amount of water on RODI. Sometimes i do what i know is wrong out of convience(can anyone say styrofoam take out containers!). It bothers me a lot sometimes, but i cope with it by doing other things and have intentions to make things even better when my finances allow. Everyone, especially parents, needs to do their part. Set an example for the next generation. Make the world a little better. Dont be a cynic and give a million excuses why you think making an effort doesnt matter. Dont be a hippocrit and preach what you dont practice. If everyone found a couple of little things that they could change to lessen the impact on our planet the cumulative effect would be VERY significant. Do something. On a sidenote, ive brought it up before and i know others have been interested, but i personally feel that this club is perfectly situated to organize events and programs that could give back to the planet and community. I know their is a percentae of hobbyists that are D-bags and care very little about the planet, environment, or their own animals but i think most of us do care or we wouldnt be in this hobby. Im not preaching, its not my style, but if i can elighten one person or move one person to change then ive made a difference.[/quote]

u r almost there…

i do apologize for the HJack.
and i’m sure tired of arguing.
bj, i love your idea of 1 day a week meat, but since it contradicts my principles, sorry, gotta pass. but eating veggies and no meat one day a week doesn’t screw with anyone here’s principles, as no one has said that veggies are bad for us.
“a better solution? by what definition? by who’s standards? what metrics are you citing?”
a better solution for the overall health of people and of the planet. since you asked about metrics, i must resort to quotes, “In association with Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and twenty-eight other leading universities, Meatless Monday was launched in 2003
claiming that bad agriculture practices are bad is fine, but good practices are good. it is, as i put forth much earlier, quite a different world than it used to be, which is my prime, not prime rib, reason for going veg. if the family farm were the main means of us obtaining meat, i’d probably eat much more meat. BUT those days are long gone. too much of our food chain depends on corn and on factory farming practices, and that is simply not good for us.
but “bad” is a relative term, so here’s another quote:
The World Health Organization has determined that dietary factors account for at least 30 percent of all cancers in Western countries and up to 20 percent in developing countries. When cancer researchers started to search for links between diet and cancer, one of the most noticeable findings was that people who avoided meat were much less likely to develop the disease. Large studies in England and Germany showed that vegetarians were about 40 percent less likely to develop cancer compared to meat eaters.1-3 In the United States, researchers studied Seventh-day Adventists, a religious group that is remarkable because, although nearly all members avoid tobacco and alcohol and follow generally healthful lifestyles, about half of the Adventist population is vegetarian, while the other half consumes modest amounts of meat. This fact allowed scientists to separate the effects of eating meat from other factors. Overall, these studies showed significant reductions in cancer risk among those who avoided meat.4 In contrast, Harvard studies showed that daily meat eaters have approximately three times the colon cancer risk, compared to those who rarely eat meat. footnotes are from as recent as 2004. from the cancer project.
from that flaming liberal magazine US News and World Report:
"Red and processed meats have been associated with an elevated risk with colorectal cancer. We investigated whether this association was also evident for cancers at other anatomic sites," explained lead author Amanda Cross, an epidemiologist at the National Cancer Institute (NCI). “This is the largest study to look at the effect of red and processed meat on multiple cancer sites, including rarer cancers, such as laryngeal and liver cancer.” 12/11/07
realizing that no one’s mind is changeable unless they want to have it changed, mine included, we can continue to disagree for intellectual reasoning’s sake.
shawn, doing the little things can make a huge difference, as you said, and while i also waste the water and electricity for the hobby, the little things i do elsewhere, like composting ALL our food scraps, summer and winter, helps.

43% of statistics are made up on the spot

food for thought (see what i did there?)… those statistics are flawed, what if you assume that out of 100% of people 10% are veg… if you sample 100% of people you may come up with .05% cancerous and if you sample 90% you might come up with .05% cancerous. what says that the veg. were simply lucky enough not to get cancer and happened to eat veggies? i’d be willing to be more people develop cancer due to sitting in traffic smoking exhaust fumes then ribs.

cancer research is flawed beyond belief IMO, take 100 smokers from canadia and 100 smokers from mexico city and do a study on them… mexico city’s air alone is like breathing 2.5 packs of cigs a day, so the enviroment messes up the study. suppose the people who ate meat studied in the meat vs veggie cancer research were all smokers and drinkers?

would it be unfair to say that veggitarians are more health conscience overall and may have avoided other aspects of life that cause cancer? like wearing gloves at the gas pump?

those studies are off…

u r almost there....
>LOL<
I din't know you drive a hybrid, which one?
Honda Civc Hybrid

Paul - I dont think anyone in the world would suggest that eating red meat is healthier than eating vegetables, at least no one in their right mind. I think the lashback, if you want to call it that, was directed more at the idea that a vegetarian diet is inherently better for the planet. I consider myself a moderate independent, by my politics and lifestyle choices tend to lean very far to the left. Im an NPR member and i subscribe to Mother Earth News for heavens sake, i could not agree more, in theory, about some of the things you have said. However, the problem is, some of the “eco cultural” propaganda is just plain wrong at best, and hyporcritcal at worst. My only point, and its not directed at you in any way, is that if anyone wants to do their part for the environment becoming a vegetarian is probably not the most effective way to go about it. Also, not eating meat does not make a person healthier. A moderate and varied diet with moderate exercise makes a person healthier. As far as health, 1500 calories is 1500 calories no matter how we consume them. Getting the calories in the correct proportion is key of course, after that their is little difference between a gram of protein from a non-meat source and a gram of protein from lean meat. The most benefit from a vegetarian diet comes from eating raw food and all of natures little treats that come with raw food(anti oxidants, bioflavins, etc) that are mostly destroyed during processing. If a person eats twinkies and french fries all day it might make them a vegetarian but it sure as heck doesnt make them healthy.

I make two more points. Studies comparing the health of a vegetarian vs a non-vegetarian are well known for being inaccurate and here is why. Most vegetarians are self-described as being health conscious. Its almost a given that a strict vegetarian is concerned about their general heatlh and takes great care of their body. Therefore its common sense that any study comparing the overall health of a vegetarian with a non-vegetarian will be lopsided since, on average, the majority of Americans are overweight and do not eat correctly. Now, show me a survey that compares a vegetarian with a non-vegetarian that eats correctly, healthy, and takes care of their body and most discrepencies disappear.

Im not a chemist, so i dont know what most of this stuff is, heck, i cant even pronounce it but these vegi-dogs dont seem much better for me than the FF dogs i eat when im jonesing for a dog ;D

http://www.yvesveggie.com/products/detail.php/good-dog

Shawn, we need to find you a hobby. Have you considered a reef tank? Seriously though, interesting post (and the longest I’ve ever seen).

Did anyone catch Penn and Teller’s Bullshit (season 7, episode 6)? Talks about organic foods, etc… There are studies confirming any point ever made, it comes down to personal choice. I eat meat and vegetables.

Also, when discussing organic foods, it is not that they aren’t fertilized, it is that they are not fertilized with inorganic fertilizer. Therefore, it takes more poop to make them grow. Where does all the extra organic poop come from? You guessed it, our cow surplus.

My theory is that the “organic movement” is the real driving force behind the increase in the number of cows, strictly for fertilization.

[quote=“Jocephus, post:150, topic:1913”]
Shawn, we need to find you a hobby. Have you considered a reef tank? Seriously though, interesting post (and the longest I’ve ever seen).

Did anyone catch Penn and Teller’s Bullshit (season 7, episode 6)? Talks about organic foods, etc… There are studies confirming any point ever made, it comes down to personal choice. I eat meat and vegetables.

Also, when discussing organic foods, it is not that they aren’t fertilized, it is that they are not fertilized with inorganic fertilizer. Therefore, it takes more poop to make them grow. Where does all the extra organic poop come from? You guessed it, our cow surplus.

My theory is that the “organic movement” is the real driving force behind the increase in the number of cows, strictly for fertilization.[/quote]

this AND the cow poop is from feed grown by inorganic fertilizer!

That’s why I poop in the compost pile

[quote=“IanH, post:152, topic:1913”]
That’s why I poop in the compost pile[/quote]

hmm, new thread, would you eat veggies grown from Ian’s poop?

… wait, WHAT WAS ON THAT VEGGIE PIZZA???

(which was delicious)

The veggies came from our garden…which is grown from the compost… :smiley:

BoNg

Tim could you blacktop and sealcoat this thread?

Shawn, we need to find you a hobby.
>LOL< or disconnect my internet!
Also, when discussing organic foods, it is not that they aren't fertilized, it is that they are not fertilized with inorganic fertilizer.
I wont even go there! Otherwise i would break my own record for longest post ;D All i will say is that regulation is better than it was. There are so many different definitions for organic and what one person might believe is organic might not be whats necessary to get food labeled as organic. Also, just because it might seem better doesnt make it better. A quick example is "cage free" chicken. It would seem that buying "cage free" chicken or "cage free" eggs is about the worse thing you can do if you actually care about the welfare of the chicken and/or sanitation.
Therefore, it takes more poop to make them grow. Where does all the extra organic poop come from? You guessed it, our cow surplus.

In reality, your probably right. Im sure animal waste is used as fertilizer for organic vegetables. However, depending on the animal, animal waster is FAR from being an ideal fertilzer because of the high nitrogen content. Probably the best fertilizer is made from yard waste(ideally leaves). There are better, sustainable ways to live. Its not easy and your right, it comes down to personal preference. For me, i try to do my part every day and to make larger changes when i can. Im not an eco-nazi. I dont get mad at people because they dont share my beliefs with the possible exception of littering and animal cruelty. I dont try to convert people. When an opportunity presents itself i do my best to inform but nothing more. All that matters is that i feel good about myself and that i raise my child in a progressive way.

[quote=“TimH07, post:148, topic:1913”]
43% of statistics are made up on the spot[/quote]

Actually this should read:
43% of 100% of statistics are made up on the spot…
It came from a Satellite TV add poking fun of Comcast. No offense to Comcast people.

How do we disect this thread and move half of it to the lounge? Or should we just rename it and move it. Talk about OT.

Actually you might be surprised what human waste is used for. Many crops grown as food for animals are fertilized with human waste. Heck in developing countries they don’t even process it first they just run the sewage line right into the fields.