First Build Ever - 55g Reef

Hey Everyone

Just finished up adding my sand and base rock. Water is about 3/4 full and my last batch is mixing up. Also just added some live sand and live rock to get my cycle going which was kindly donated from reefman66 abcd. Would also like to thank beadlocked450r and Pat for offering as well. Should be topping it off tonight. I will snap a picture of it tomorrow sometime and post it, need to let it settle a little bit first. Pretty excited to get this process going and getting advice from everyone along the way. :BEER

YahoO

What do you plan on keeping in the tank?

It was great talking to you Bryan. Hope things will workout for you. Please let us know if you need any more help. Any questions don’t hesitate to ask. We would like to see more success than failure.

[quote=“saltcreep, post:2, topic:6040”]
YahoO

What do you plan on keeping in the tank? [/quote]

I haven’t research much into the stock/coral I want to keep yet. I have been focused on getting the best set up for the money to cycle my tank. I think I am more interested in keeping corals than fish (although I will be stocking fish). Probably going to start with a clown or two and then start with the corals.

Cool, u can’t go wrong with a pair of clowns to start with ::thumbsup::

well finally took a picture…not the best but as with the rest of this stuff I will get better. Might have to buy a camera eventually, cell phone might not cut it.

Looks good. GolfC GolfC

Hopefully just the beginning of all the enjoyment you will have with your tank :BEER

I really like your rock structure, nice job GolfC

do you have a plan yet for the setup? lighting, sump/fuge, skimmer…

tank build in progress ::thinking:: … I bet you have one hellava x-mas list brewing

Very nice - good job with the aquascaping. Nice flat ledges for mouting corals, a few nice caves for fish, good pourus rock. Looking good so far!! PBJ!

Looks pretty nice , lot of grow out room and area to swim.

[quote=“saltcreep, post:8, topic:6040”]
I really like your rock structure, nice job GolfC

do you have a plan yet for the setup? lighting, sump/fuge, skimmer…

tank build in progress ::thinking:: … I bet you have one hellava x-mas list brewing[/quote]

Thanks! I have mostly all the equipment I think I will need for now, just haven’t set everything up yet. From what I’ve gathered I don’t think I need to run the rest until the tank is cycled. What I’ve got so far:

-Penguin 330 HOB filter for water movement basically, it came with my tank
-Reef octopus BH-100 HOB protein skimmer
-2 circulation pumps, hydor 225 and 725 and a 525 on the way
-hydor heater 300W which I think I am going to replace it with a 200W that I recently ordered.
-55# live rock, hoping that can handle most of my filtration
-50# sand
-1 120 bridgelux value LED lighting fixture from reefbreaders.com I am definitely going to buy a second fixture for the other half of the tank sometime in the next 2 weeks. Talking to A the other night he mentioned the group buy on a LED fixture so may need to look into that.

This weekend I am going to try and build a low profile canopy for my lights or possibly just build something to hang them…don’t really want to hang from the ceiling as my tank isn’t very tall.

U should look at website aquastyleonline.com they have diy ledz that seem decent im getting ready to place a order for 36 led kit
I

[quote=“jsodonnelljr, post:12, topic:6040”]
U should look at website aquastyleonline.com they have diy ledz that seem decent im getting ready to place a order for 36 led kit
I[/quote]
::thumbsup::, thanks for the link. Might look into making some moonlights. I think I have to stick with the fixtures for now since I have already purchased one. Want them to look the same.

Yea everything Cheap and customer service seems to be good

thinking a little bit about what fish I want to stock, definitely going to go with clowns to start. is it ok to add 2 clowns to start with or do I need to add one at a time?

I would say two clowns would be good starter but same kinda clowns

[quote=“JackRyan, post:15, topic:6040”]
thinking a little bit about what fish I want to stock, definitely going to go with clowns to start. is it ok to add 2 clowns to start with or do I need to add one at a time? [/quote]

you can do it either way… i’d lean towards both at the same time to eliminate the chance of one gettin settled in, claiming a territory and getting mean towards a new clown…may not be an issue, but it’s happened.
and like joe said, two of the same species of clown…

what type of clowns do you like?

[quote=“saltcreep, post:17, topic:6040”]

[quote=“JackRyan, post:15, topic:6040”]
thinking a little bit about what fish I want to stock, definitely going to go with clowns to start. is it ok to add 2 clowns to start with or do I need to add one at a time? [/quote]

you can do it either way… i’d lean towards both at the same time to eliminate the chance of one gettin settled in, claiming a territory and getting mean towards a new clown…may not be an issue, but it’s happened.
and like joe said, two of the same species of clown…

what type of clowns do you like?[/quote]

I think i like the Ocellaris the best. They seem to be the most vivid orange and the right price for my first two fish. Also just finished putting together a very cheap ($25) but pretty quality light “fixture” IMO. Pictures are below, if they are not showing up right can someone let me know how to fix the issue.

No lights

sorry for the gigantic image…not sure how to fix it. I uploaded all them the exact same. I know lights are supposed to be off for the cycle but would it hurt to be on for a couple hours?

WOW, that light is bright. Looks very high par value even at the bottom of the tank. How high is that hanging above the water. By the look of the pics, you may have to acclimate the animals to the light when you put them in, especially the low light loving animals.