Fuge light caution

OK I know many of us use the clip on shop lights for our fuge. You know, this little harmless fixture

Well I just realized something very important - humidity, splashes, etc cause moisture to build up inside the reflector.

I just went to replace the bulb and failed to notice the moisture inside the reflector and on the bulb - also forgetting everything I learned in the 6th grade about water and electricity I neglected to unplug the fixture first.

The socket shorted out, causing a small fire to begin burning inside (and on the outside) of the socket. I’m not a big fan of electrocution, or burning. I’m no longer so sure of how good an idea this type of light is for what we use t for.

That would take a decent amount of moisture. I have burnt one of them out but I dropped it into the tank. When I pulled it out it was fine till the water made its way inside and it smoked the fixture.

If you have that much moisture you may want to seal off the ceiling of the closet soon as to keep that moisture out of the ceiling.
Also a small piece of plexiglass under the fixture will keep splashes out

[quote=“a1amap, post:2, topic:793”]
Also a small piece of plexiglass under the fixture will keep splashes out[/quote]

That will go under the next light.

Man, mine is completely covered in salt creep and water spts oooops

So was mine never a problem till I dropped it into the tank

I noticed the salt creep on my bulb and thought “That can’t be good” - guess I was right.

Make sure you unplug it before replacing the bulb.

i think last year iwas changing a bulb for my bearded drogan and it burst in to flame. i scared the insert word out of me. needless to say i learned my lesson fast after the ficture burst into flames

[quote=“bz350, post:7, topic:793”]
i think last year iwas changing a bulb for my bearded drogan and it burst in to flame. i scared the insert word out of me. needless to say i learned my lesson fast after the ficture burst into flames[/quote]

Yup - was just like that. Had to change my shorts.

Darn, that sucks Craig. Any major damage? I know you just got everything set again in the basement. Has the wifey found out yet? Hope this hasn’t upset her recent interest in the tank.

the spiral PC lamps have a built in ballast butthey are not made for wet or damp duty. the ballast portion often has little vent holes to let heat out as they get hot from running and from the lamp part. Remember its 120V at the socket but the ballast is putting out 600V inside to the tube. a better bulb would be an outdoor PAR PC bulb. they can handle the moisture and are sealed. the trick is to find one 5000K-6500K. not sure if local stores carry them in that spectrum. Ive seen them somewhere, not sure where though.

[quote=“Gordonious, post:9, topic:793”]
Darn, that sucks Craig. Any major damage? I know you just got everything set again in the basement. Has the wifey found out yet? Hope this hasn’t upset her recent interest in the tank. [/quote]

Just a little scorch on the closet door - nothing that won’t wipe off.

the wife was home when it happen - came down to find out why the 3 yr. old yelled “Holy Sh*t!!”

She’s fine though. Surprisingly enough.

Glad to hear everything is alright now.

Ken let us know if you figure out where you saw those bulbs before. I think I am going to use some mangroves in my new display and my new frag tanks.(will probably start a tank build thread soon)

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:11, topic:793”]
the wife was home when it happen - came down to find out why the 3 yr. old yelled “Holy Sh*t!!”[/quote]

:-)lol

Yoh-K! I was doing some searching but havent found the place i saw them before. could have sworn HD had some once.

lol, it sounds like Craig’s house is never boring…

[quote=“IanH, post:14, topic:793”]
lol, it sounds like Craig’s house is never boring…[/quote]

That what I was just thinking… next time you have a water leak just tell your wife you had to put out the fire the light caused… that way we can buy all of your used equipement when she makes you sell it (or kills you…)

I have dibs. She said so… thhht

[quote=“a1amap, post:16, topic:793”]
I have dibs. She said so… thhht[/quote]

He’s right. Unfortunately, she has made it perfectly clear that idf she ever decieds that I’ve screwed up THAT badly - thewre would be no sale. It would be a phone call to Al to have it all out of the house before I get home. I wish she were kidding when she says that.

You guys have to have realized by now, I do this stuff intentionally, both to teach the newer and younger members of the club, as well as to ensure plenty of comic fodder for the meetings. Haven’t you noticed I only ever do this stuff a week before the meeting? I can only come up with so much material based on past mistakes, so i have to create new topics to create new material.

Sheesh seems like no one appreciates my impromtu stand-up routines anymore.

lOl

Al, when (not if) you get that phone call, let me know if you need a hand. I’d be more than happy to help out. >LOL<

Craig, of course we appreciate them. It is quite obvious you are just doing it to teach us all lessons. I mean come on no one is THAT stupid right? verdict_in

Its like Tool Time with Tim Allen
Only with fish

Saltwater Time with your host Craig CD0

Well I’d never be able to do it without my good friend, and trusted side-kick Al.