Growth rate pictorial w/ LEDs

Ok, the pics will start today and I will take new pics every few weeks for @ 3 months, more if need be.

I bought this frag from Pacific East as a $15 frag awhile back, not sure how long ago, but definitely after I installed the new LEDs back in August 2011. The frag was about 1 inch high when I got it. Keep in mind that this has been one of the fastest growing frags in my tank, so I will not include it in the pictorial.

found some pics of some of the frags from 12/2011
2/4/2012

12/24/2011

These pics will all be taken under my LEDs ( 72 3w = 216w) plus 2 6ft VHO attinics. My tank is 180 gals, which is 6ft longx2ft wide x 2ft high.

Today is February 4th, 2012
This is a blue Millie, I got from Reefman66, back in Oct.2011 and was much smaller and not encrusted when I got it, which was originally from my tank.

2/4/2012

12/24/2011

Here is a frag from saltcreep from back in OCT.2011, also has grown some.
2/4/2012

12/24/2011

This frag from Kaptken, a Pearlberry, I got back in Oct.2011 as a tiny frag. You can see how well it has grown since.
2/4/2012

12/24/2011

This started as a frag from my Superman monti

A Jason Fox frag…War and Peace Favia. There has been some new growth from the bottom, hard to see in this pic. This pic does this frag an injustice because it really is much nicer than it appears. it really looks great from top down.

And lastly, a frag from kaptken of his blue tort. A slow grower, but when I got it, it was tiny.

Great stuff, nice pics ::thumbsup:: this will be cool to watch !

:GEEK:

Nice pieces. I will be doing the led phase in the next few months. I have made up my mind to go the led route with the 420nm leds.

Houndsbay what led’s do you have wavelength wise and how many of each color?

Thanks for posting the pics and starting the thread John. I do see the difference already in that blue milli from the time I gave you that frag. Please continue to post the pic of that first pic from Dr. Mac as well. I would like to see how much it well grow compare to others. Also, I believe i have that coral as well.

Love that Pearlberry. Might have to ask Ken if he has any more frag of it.

My setup was a DIY setup that I bought from a member of the club at the time. It has 36 blue and 36 white LEDs. The blues are CREE XP-E Blue 3W LED at 465 - 485nm and the whites are LUXEON REBEL 3W Leds.

Did some searching and found my original post when I first installed the new setup. Check it out.

http://delreefclub.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&topic=5009.0

Looking Nice John. You should keep progress picks of that first Dr. Mac frag also. thats a nice looking acro. I want to see how it grows. Its amazing how much the pearlberry frag has grown, with nice color for you . It was such a tiny frag tip on the plug. You have a happy tank! I think i bought my frag of it from Dan Riggle, at an NCPARS frag swap at TFP about 18 months ago. It grows pretty good.

Oh , that blue tort frag is from a frag I bought from Dr. Mac at the Atlantic City MCNA conference a couple years back. Mine was about that big when i bought it too. So you are on your way. it has vintage.

thanks Ken. I just finished posting some pics from Christmas eve to compare to the pics taken today 2/4/2012.
The growth is really pretty good on everything. Going to add some older pics to the 2 page of this thread now.

Well it’s been over 2 months since I started this thread, so now is a good time to update with some new growth shots. I will be taking pics now and post a little later on.

pearlberry

4/23/2012

2/4/2012

12/24/2011

john, that’s incredible! i guess the leds can’t grow sps argument is eliminated

blue tort
4/23/2012

2/4/2012

superman monti

4/23/2012

2/4/2012

Dr. Mac Acro

4/23/2012

2/4/2012

12/24/2011

Saltcreep frag

4/23/2012

2/4/2012

12/24/2011

And this is a pic of something I wanted to grow out for quite some time, a strawberry shortcake acro from Pacific East Aquaculture. it has been in my tank for awhile, and just recently has started showing some great color. I am totally excited about this one YahoO

blue Millie

4/23/2012

2/4/2012

12/24/2011

Yes Paul, that myth has been broken!!! PoM

:BEER

Lookin real good John

Thanx Bill

WOW! John, I’m sold on LEDs and thanks for posting. All the corals still looks great! Since the last meeting after Bill showed us that 100w chip and CPU heatsink, I’m thinking about going that route and supplementing it with RB and UV 20w-50w chips as well. Still in the pricing and planning stage, we’ll see.

Your’e welcome A. Good luck with your lighting and tank build.

Just a reminder here, I do supplement my LED setup with 2 6ft VHO Attinics.

[quote=“houndsbayman, post:19, topic:5125”]
Your’e welcome A. Good luck with your lighting and tank build.

Just a reminder here, I do supplement my LED setup with 2 6ft VHO Attinics.[/quote]

2 = 6ft 420 UVL tubes for me also John