Growth rate pictorial w/ LEDs

Looking real good John. I am not having good results with my LED light so far though. colors wash out and ive killed 2 pearl berry frags ive made so far. but its a young tank. time will tell. its just 50/50 whites and 455 blues. 100 watts. no florescent actinic tubes .

Ken, have you taken PAR readings on your tank yet?

no par readings yet. its like 10 inches above a 12 inch deep frag tank. many of the frags are from a vho tank, like the green and red caps. they are really washing out. they were grown under 420 actinics. no 420 in the LEDs. that could be it. time to adjust.

but yours look great.

Thanks Ken. I agree about them not having the VHO’s.

Can you just add some VHO lighting to your frag tank? Would be interesting to see how the corals react.

No John, not practical to add VHO. the tank is just 30"x18" a foot deep. the LED is a pendant hanging over it from a swing set frame. its my new experimental frag tank for my first LED. I want to see what happens with only 450nm blue in the light. Most of the corals were grown under mostly 420nm VHO or Phoenix 14K HQI and T5 420 actinic. the colors are changing. time will tell how they level out.

Meanwhile, the last pearl berry frag that went white, is starting to show a pale blue skin. I thought it was dead but it might be adjusting. Making the shift from growing chlorophyl A(420nm) to Chlorophyl B(453nm). I hope it makes it. but as I have always suspected, feeding both spectrums would be the ideal. I just moved a blue tort frag to the LED tank. it liked it before. I’ll see if it stays blue. then try the blue/teal stag. Green Pocillapora turns a lighter yellow green and seems to like it. Pink Poci turned lighter pink/purple but seems to be brightening up slightly. Green monti cap and orange monti cap not so happy. they were from a VHO tank of 3x420 actinics and one 50/50. they are feeling 420 nm withdrawal for sure.

Like all my tanks, its an experiment. I just might have to consult with Hudzon and the rest of yous guys using and building LEDs, and build one myself. When i decide on the custom blend of spectrum I want to try. You know, find the Golden Ratio of Light!

Hey are you still running a couple VHOs along with the LEDS? The corals look great.

good luck with your experiment.

Yes I am using 2 VHO’s. I have to replace them, over a year old now.

The growth looks awesome. You don’t have any problems with the sps being so close to the shrooms?

I do keep a watchful eye on the SPS that are being touched by the shrooms. As long as the SPS are doing fine, I leave them alone and try not to disturb them.

Any monthly growth pics yet John? thanks

A, everything is doing great! Due to the heat today I will be indoors this afternoon, so I will put up some new pics. thanks for asking.

Can’t wait to see the pictures. I love seeing the results in side by side photos.

Sorry I don’t have the time right now to put everything side by side.

My blue millie from A. My original colony went bust during my tank battle with HA. And my Strawberry Shortcake.

Pacific East acro getting much bigger.

Jason Fox Raspberry waterfall chalice

Red Millie from thekapt. This was a really small frag back in Oct.

A beautiful acro from Pacific East on the left and on the right a stunning Red Planet acro from Dan Riggle I bought at our frag swap.

A stunning acro from the kapt…Pearlberry acro

2 shot of my tank

WOW! stunning John. Colors are nice and they are still growing/encrusting very well. Thanks for sharing. ::thumbsup::

VERY NICE! Beautiful tank!

Looking good John! Its been about a year now with leds right? same growth ya think… or more/less? great color either way :BEER

Tank is looking amazing John!!!

Thanks reefman. your welcome

thanks Gordo.

Thanks John, yes it is a year w/ LEDs. I am not a good judge on growth rate, so I can’t say. But I think the key here is that I am getting good growth with them. Stablizing my params and really paying attention to what is going on in my tank has been very helpful.

thanks bill

nice looking i like your corals great color

They look AWESOME!!! Do you still have the frags posted on page 1? If so would love to see Saltcreep frag & blue tort.