has any one ever tried a creek tank?

im just curious as to who all has tried a creek fish tank… i have a 55 out in the garage that i have been neglecting and the creek fish seem to live through anything… it has no heater or lights just a filter and a few hiding places in it right now i have a few creek chubbs a few sunnies and a couple crayfish and catfish. it seems like i could do just about anything to that tank and everything will still live any1 ever have any similar experiences?

I have heard of people trying tidal tanks but not a creek tank

well it more started off as a bait tank (bass love creek chubbs) but than it expanded into a full out creek tank with a bunch of stuff that i just catch at any local creek or pond and throw in ( all the sunnies that i put in there when i caught them were under 2 inches so nothing 2 big)

I use to catch tadpoles and stick them in a little tank let them grow a little then stik them back in the little puddle i found them lol But then again I was like 9 But they always lived.

Dont they have something like that at the Brandywine Zoo?

idk but the tank pretty much takes car of its self i might get a small mouth or something and put it in there for fun ( a small one though)

i have a what your calling a creek tank set up now in a 55…i posted a little info about it on one of the threads. anyway i’ve had bad experiences with keeping sunfish species they will succumb to diease very readily…lost 2 pumpkin seeds and an bluegill although my largemouth bass has lived through numerous fungal infections i do have a channel catfish with will live through anything…I’ve seen darter tanks with heavy flow and alot of rocks which are pretty cool just type “native tank” into youtube and it should come up…anyway i wouldn’t rocomend sunfish in aquaria least for long term captivity and you have to be very very careful with feeding live feeder fish to the inhabitants even with setting up a QT tank for them i’ve somehow managed to pass infections i only feed live nightcrawlers for that reason posted a video a few months ago of my tank

yeah my tank is nowhere nere that intense lol and i dont feed the feeders the sunnies and creekchubbs love tropical fish food and the channel cats and crayfish eat trout pellets that i throw down to the bottom my tank is not kept up with at all i feed them like 3-5 times a week with fish food and when its nicer i will throw some worms in but they pretty much take care of themselves no diseases ive been runnning it for like 2 years now and nothig really dies lol they can live through just about anything!

Cool video those mugs are big!

[quote=“xwhatmeworryx, post:8, topic:1392”]
yeah my tank is nowhere nere that intense lol and i dont feed the feeders the sunnies and creekchubbs love tropical fish food and the channel cats and crayfish eat trout pellets that i throw down to the bottom my tank is not kept up with at all i feed them like 3-5 times a week with fish food and when its nicer i will throw some worms in but they pretty much take care of themselves no diseases ive been runnning it for like 2 years now and nothig really dies lol they can live through just about anything![/quote]

damn i’ve had trouble trying to get them to eat non live food, the bass will eat carnivore pellets which the catfish loves occasionally but its basically minnows or worms think i screwed my self initially by adding feeders to the main tank and contaminated it… anyway i’ll be releasing the inhabitants back into the wild when its gets warmer out

[quote=“IanH, post:9, topic:1392”]
Cool video those mugs are big![/quote]

haha thanks the bass is getting huge i should take some more recent pics i do feed him a lot

What kind of water do you keep these fish in? creek or ro?

HMMMMM not sure if considered a creek tank but caught a 3 inch large mouth bass that I had in a 30 gallon untill it got to big for the tank and we turn it loose. Was a awesome fish and had alot of personality.

honestly i just have used tap water and they have been doing fine its weird i think if i like droped an attomic bomb in the tank and they atleast landed in a puddle they could still live lol

i just use de-dechlorinated tap water no need for RO h2o with aquatic species

HELLO…This is a first for me. I hope it posts!? I’ve had river (tidal), creek, pond, brackish…all native to DE tanks. But, keep in mind…if you collect in non-tidal waters, you will not be able to keep game fish under the legal size… unless you have a scientific collecting permit from the state of DE. But you will need a DE fishinng license. The DSAS was able to get one (scientific) every year until people lost interest. If the DSAS wants to have a freshwater collecting trip, you should get in contact with me…or the state division of fiish. I Have applied for the club in the past and should have no problem obtaining the permit now. So, I will look into it again and see if the permits are still available. And get one for the DSAS

Didin’t know about that kind of permit. thats great. does it cover the tidal species too? like for the possible tidal SW collecting trip you mentioned also?

Cool thread - Florida FW fish except the flagfish and exotics, seem skiddish and don’t move much in the tanks I have had (tough as nails though! I realize now I didn’t know what I was doing back then. 100% WCs etc…). I wonder if the northern FW species behave differently?

Here you can get them from private lakes that are stocked with purchased fish. You might be able to find one nearby, most lakes in neighborhoods are stocked with some fish here, is it the same in Delaware?

Cool you can get a scientific permit for it. A local guy got one to grow a Spiny Lobster in a tank, it is now 38’’ long, (not including antennae and they don’t have claws) pretty big for Florida Spiny Lobster.

A guy in NY has a local specimens tank, pipefish etc… looks pretty cool.

[quote=“johnmaloney, post:18, topic:1392”]
Cool thread - Florida FW fish except the flagfish and exotics, seem skiddish and don’t move much in the tanks I have had (tough as nails though! I realize now I didn’t know what I was doing back then. 100% WCs etc…). I wonder if the northern FW species behave differently?

Here you can get them from private lakes that are stocked with purchased fish. You might be able to find one nearby, most lakes in neighborhoods are stocked with some fish here, is it the same in Delaware?

Cool you can get a scientific permit for it. A local guy got one to grow a Spiny Lobster in a tank, it is now 38’’ long, (not including antennae and they don’t have claws) pretty big for Florida Spiny Lobster.

A guy in NY has a local specimens tank, pipefish etc… looks pretty cool.[/quote]

Thats a big A-- lobster

I’m still waiting to hear from good Ole Walt. I’m pretty sure we can do it with a couple basic state fishing licenced members handling the nets. thats like $8.50 for any fishermen/women out there. and then divy up the catch . the rest of the trip is a nice day at the beach, wading in warm water, and collecting a few Rays!